More curiousity

Daniel1947

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK, this is just a question from being curious and maybe trying to get a little more informed. Has to do with the ratings for engine HP size on boats, I have seen boats that are just about indentical, but with differant HP specs on the ID plates, this mainly pretains to outboards, so for example: Manufacturer A, builds a 19 foot fish and ski, has a maximum engine rating of 150 HP, Manufacturer B, builds a very similar boat, size, equipment, etc., maybe only differance is some cosmetics, but the maximum engine rating is 175HP. If both boats are that close in size, etc., what allows one to be rated at a higher HP? Is it in the size/thickness of the transom or stringers? Number of plies of fiberglass?

Thanks to all.

Daniel1947

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: More curiousity

Great information gentlemen....I have downloaded it and saved it, I know it will come in handy later. Thanks WOG and JBCURT00

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Just used the one Woody posted on my hull . Added up to the exact hp rating from the factory listing .I,m maxed out !LOL!

Daniel1947

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just got through reading most of the information supplied by WOG and JBCURT, Can't believe how much good information is in there, especially as it applies to things like adding foam, how much, etc. I did the horsepower check just using figures off the top of my head on my boat....formula said 140HP max, my boat is rated 150HP. Like I said though, I did not use the exact measurements of the transom, so I would bet it would be correct. I am constantly amazed at how much info we can find on this forum, I can't stop saying thanks to everyone, and am looking forward to starting my project as soon as I get a few more fishing trips in. I will start a thread when I do.

THANKS AGAIN TO IBOAT FORUM AND ALL THE MEMBERS THAT ASSIST US NOVICES WITH ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS THAT HAVE PROBABLY BEEN ASKED A THOUSAND TIMES BEFORE AND WILL BE ASKED A THOUSAND TIMES MORE.