Monmouth's 1979 Starcraft Kingfisher Rebuild

BWR1953

Admiral
Right, the front bench, the rear bench, and the console bench.

I'm going to use the 3/4". None of the benches is more than 14" wide. With it supported by the aluminum benches, I can't imagine it will sag. If it does, I'll use the angle AL as suggested.

Gotta get the benches in to get them measured, then cut and seal the tops....

The bench in my KF was 3 feet long and used a 3/4" ply top. Works fine even for my massive bulk. :rolleyes:

I'll be using 3/4" ply (leftover from the transom work) as the base for the twin boxes I now have.

bench.jpg

Monmouth00

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Another day, another step closer.

The floor got screwed down. Painfully. I somehow broke three titanium drill bits, and lost the head off two stainless steel screws, despite being incredibly careful. It was aggravating. Luckily the screws that broke were pretty well seated, and both just happen to be under where benches will sit. Still, frustrating.

I riveted in the front bench, and screwed in the console. I still haven't screwed the console to the floor, because it was raining and I was running out of time. I'll get a level on it, and make sure it's plumb before I set it in.

I have a question - what is the bracket just in front of the console for? See the picture, I put arrows on it. I can't seem to remember what, if anything, connected to it. Little help, please?

I also installed the splashwell (if that's what you call it - the metal shelf under the O/B). It was easier than I thought it would be, thank God. A little jostling and banging, and I got the holes to line up fairly quickly. Riveted in with some 3/16ths closed end aluminum rivets, with a little 5200 under the rim for sealant.

But, most importantly, I got the transom wood in, as well as the transom cap and end pieces. This feels like huge accomplishment. And, a big step towards completing the project.

My work is done for the moment. The boat goes to the metal guy so he can fabricate the back bench, the console front, and the anchor locker up front.

In the meantime, I'll be cutting some 3/4" ply to make the bench tops.

Feeling accomplished. And feeling like the end of the project is in sight.

Hooray!

Attachments

• photo285554.jpg
    photo285554.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 7
  • photo285555.jpg
    photo285555.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 11
  • photo285556.jpg
    photo285556.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 7
  • photo285557.jpg
    photo285557.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 7

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
On the front of the console was there a panel? Looks like maybe that bracket where a panel attaches to the side.

fetch

Monmouth00

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There was a plywood panel, but I don't remember it connecting to that bracket. I'll have to look, but I'm not even sure it lines up with the front of the console.

BWR- was there a bracket like this on your KF?

By the way, im replacing The plywood front of the panel with aluminum.

BWR1953

Admiral
There was a plywood panel, but I don't remember it connecting to that bracket. I'll have to look, but I'm not even sure it lines up with the front of the console.

BWR- was there a bracket like this on your KF?

By the way, im replacing The plywood front of the panel with aluminum.

I think that bracket was to attach the old cable pulley steering system. I'll look through my old pix to see if I have one of it installed.

You're making TERRIFIC progress! Way to go! And that color scheme is really cool. Classy. :encouragement:

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
It looks beautiful. Your craftsmanship is great and you chose a nice color scheme.

I am a little concerned about the transom, especially knowing an outboard will be mounted on it. What wood did you use? It doesn't appear to be plywood which could be problematic.

Monmouth00

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It looks beautiful. Your craftsmanship is great and you chose a nice color scheme.

I am a little concerned about the transom, especially knowing an outboard will be mounted on it. What wood did you use? It doesn't appear to be plywood which could be problematic.

It's a solid piece of Douglas Fir. Framing wood.

It's covered in a thick coating of Suprasec to seal it.

It will have a 1/8 thick piece of aluminum on the outside of the hull to further strengthen it.

I think it's pretty solid, but do you think I should add another 1/8 piece of aluminum to the inside?

Keep in mind it's only got an approximately 80 Lb. 20Hp being hung on it.

Thanks,

Paul

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
The problem with using solid wood is that it doesn't have very much strength along the grain and it splits easy (along the grain). When they construct plywood they alternate the way the grain lays in the different layers giving it strength in all directions. I know Douglas Fir is marine grade wood (I just bought some myself). I think you're fine as long as you add a metal mount plate to the inside, so the pressure on the wood is distributed over an area. I would get something thick and rigid, 1/4" steel.

Monmouth00

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I don't think I can get my hands on 1/4" stainless plate. I'll have to settle for something less rigid, and more affordable, and hope it holds.

Still, if that piece of wood can't support an 80 Lb. O/B at slow speeds and no waves, I'll be incredibly surprised.

Watermann

I agree using dimension lumber is not the standard for transom building and I'm also pretty sure you're correct that it'll hold just fine with a 20 HP motor. An inside backer plate to keep the clamps from digging in is a good idea no matter what wood you use as they'll get loose as the wood compresses.

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
I didn't realize it was only a 20 horse engine going on the boat. It'll be fine. I would do the backer plate to be on the safe side, but you should be good. It might dig like waterman said.

Last edited:

Monmouth00

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Fellas, the weather has been killing me!

I'm seriously off schedule because my guy who was going to fabricate the benches for me has been out of power for more than a week.

The freaking snow won't stop! We got another 2" this morning!

I doubt there's any chance to splash in April now.

Major bummer. The bite is on big time in my local lake. Those cold water trout are way high up in the water column, and looking to feed on lazy baitfish.

Watermann

Man that's a bummer, weather is off and on again everywhere this spring it seems but it warmed up enough here to rain rather than snow.

Monmouth00

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you thought I was exaggerating the bite, here's a post from my local club:

"Another good report coming in from this last Sunday. Member Mike Kokodziej reports that he caught fish all over the reservoir! Flatlines, leadcore,and riggers all caught fish. Mike said they even jigger a couple lakers! Water temp was reported to be 37°."

Attachments

• photo286507.jpg
    photo286507.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 4

BWR1953

Admiral
Man, those are some nice fatties! Can you get on the water with a buddy?