Monmouth's 1979 Starcraft Kingfisher Rebuild

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Hey terminology is everything :lol: Yeah the bulb will loose a squeeze or 2 when the motor is drawing but it that's about it.

Monmouth00

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Do you know which controls they are? I had the 703 controls for my Yamaha 115 and they were easy to change. Pop off the cover, take off retaining nut and washer, put new cable in and reverse disassembly.

Just looked at the 703 controls, and if I remember correctly, the one on the whaler looked very similar.

Maybe, just maybe, one project for this rebuild will go smoothly!

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Just looked at the 703 controls, and if I remember correctly, the one on the whaler looked very similar.

Maybe, just maybe, one project for this rebuild will go smoothly!

Let me know if you need some help I have a spare sitting around I can pop them open and help guide you

Monmouth00

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Let me know if you need some help I have a spare sitting around I can pop them open and help guide you

Thanks so much! From the way you described it, I think I can handle it. (Hope I didn't just jinx it)

I'll shout if I need some instruction, though. Many thanks!

Monmouth00

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Your letters and decals look awesome. Good luck with your repairs!

Just ordered the Starcraft logos for the back of the boat, too. Hoping that will balance everything out.

(it's a little front-heavy with decals only in he front, in my opinion)

Gotta represent the Starcraft!

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
Just ordered the Starcraft logos for the back of the boat, too. Hoping that will balance everything out.

(it's a little front-heavy with decals only in he front, in my opinion)

Gotta represent the Starcraft!

I'll be looking for those pictures. I have Mercruiser decals on mine that I really like.

Monmouth00

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, it was a successful weekend.

I went back to check out the little Yamaha 9.9 on Sunday morning. It was cold and breezy at the Jersey Shore - somewhere in the low '60s and gusts to about 20 mph. The engine hadn't been fired yet that day, and it thankfully turned over with the first crank. I ran it for about 30 minutes, throttled up and at idle. I kicked it into forward and reverse a couple of times too. I'm satisfied that it will treat me well for many years to come. It's clean and pretty, and right-sized for my lakes.

The carb had been dunked into an ultrasonic cleaner, and the gaskets replaced. I truthfully believe that the problem was in either the tank or the hose, though.

I dragged the motor back and hung it on the boat. It's secured nicely with two bolts through the transom, and sealed with some globs of 5200.

I was able to switch out the throttle and shift cables too. Super simple. The back of the remote controls opened with two screws, and after removing the circlips, the cable ends slipped right off. No problem on the engine side either - just yanking two cotter pins to free the cables. I swapped the plastic ends and re-installed in about 20 minutes. So easy I'm almost certain that I screwed it up.

The cables are a bit long. The previous were 13 foot, and these are 14 foot. I'm not too concerned as the extra bit of length allows for a more gentle bend when exiting from under the gunwale at the stern.

I was moving quickly and had to get to a fundraising event, so I didn't get any pictures. But they're coming.

The last bits to take care of are greasing and installing the steering cable, installing the batteries, and connecting the fuel lines.

Oh, and applying those Starcraft logos!

Watermann

Glad everything went as planned, nice to be able to repair things yourself and have it go well.

Monmouth00

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just thinking about my trailer after reading about "hook" in another thread.

Is there any problem with the boat hanging the extra 18" off the back of the trailer?

Remember it only had a 20 HP Merc on it before, and now will have a 9.9 Yamaha that weighs 80 Lbs.

Am I asking for problems letting the stern hang off the end?

Thanks!

Attachments

• photo282516.jpg
    photo282516.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 11

Watermann

I better pic of the supports from more at the stern would help get a better idea. Be careful of those ratchet straps over the gunnels, I know that will damage the hull if they get cranked down too tight.

fetch

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
I position mine so the end of the hull is about 2-3" behind the last roller.
If the roller is farther forward on un-reenforced hull, you run the risk of deforming the hull.
This is why many folks like bunk trailers.

The boat/trailer was probably setup/balanced for the larger motor, and now with the lighter one, you need to move the boat and axle forward to re-balance the boat/trailer.

It looks like on that trailer you can move the springs/axle without much effort.

And WM is right, be careful with those straps, as they can deform the gunwales. (the PO of ours did just that)
I'd recommend getting the straps that go from the eye bolts on the back and to the trailer frame.

Note that it doesn't even have to be a too tight strap, it could be one that is wet (and stretched) and then dries on the way home, greatly increasing the tension in the strap.

Dan

Monmouth00

Petty Officer 2nd Class
And WM is right, be careful with those straps, as they can deform the gunwales. (the PO of ours did just that)
I'd recommend getting the straps that go from the eye bolts on the back and to the trailer frame.

Good News!

I've decided to ignore the trailer for right now. I don't have the funds or the inclination to take care of it right now. I want it done right, but it will have to last another season. The boat's been on there for a long time already, so it can probably make it one more season. I never trailer the boat very far anyway - no more that 5 miles at a time. I'll just have to put it out of my mind, and continue on like I don't know it could potentially be a problem. Not the brightest solution, I know, but the best one for me at this time.

I might convert it next year to a bunk-style. Is there such a thing as a hybrid bunk/roller trailer? I have both rollers and supports. Was thinking about just removing the supports, and replacing with treated 2x4s covered with bunk material when the time comes. This would allow me to extend the bunks past the end of the trailer. I would have a roller for the keel, front and rear, but the keel would be cradled by the side bunks on the sides.

Thanks for the heads up on the buckle strap. I see what you're saying about potential damage. I don't have rear eye bolts. I have two handles - can I attach there? Wouldn't that put undue stress on my transom wood?

Thanks for your thoughts!

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
Yes there are bunk/roller combination trailers, both the type with keel rollers and bunks and those with rollers near the rear and bunks forward.

As for the handles, I would be cautious using them for the tie down points. I'd probably add a couple bolt through eye bolts if it were mine. I wouldn't worry about the transom, you're putting a downward force through the plain of the transom, probably the strongest part of the boat.

Watermann

Straps just have to be snug so they won't come loose and keep the boat centered on the trailer if/when it hits a big bump in the road.... but some guys over tighten everything they get their hands on, don't be that guy is all I'm saying.

You don't have enough weight in the stern of your boat to worry about the overhang.

Monmouth00

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Straps just have to be snug so they won't come loose and keep the boat centered on the trailer if/when it hits a big bump in the road.... but some guys over tighten everything they get their hands on, don't be that guy is all I'm saying.

Does it matter if my handles on the back of the boat are bolted through the transom wood? They seem pretty sturdy - just as sturdy as if I were to pass and eye bolt through and hook the strap there, right? I hope so, because I bought two 500 Lb. retractable straps that are now connecting the boat to the trailer via the back handles. I'm using them in conjunction with the boat buckle strap we were talking about.

Anyway, I splashed. On Saturday.

The boat was finished on Saturday morning, after wrestling with the steering cable install. Long story, lots of grease and frustration, and some bloody knuckles. Followed by bewilderment and confusion when the motor would only turn left. Disassembled, reassembled, didn't do anything different, but it somehow fixed the problem.

Putted around the lake with the four of us in the boat for about 3 hours. The wife and kids loved it. I was nervous the whole time. I was listening to the motor, checking the bilge, expecting the worst. But, to my surprise, the motor worked perfectly, and there was almost no water entry during the entire trip. There was some water in the bilge, but I never heard the pump kick on, and it never rose above a certain level. I believe the culprit was a few rivets that I sank without 5200 under them. I expected them to be well above the water line, but with wife, kids, motor, two batteries, and a full tank of gas, she rode a little lower than expected.

The motor was running perfectly smoothly. But I'm already missing my big horse of a 20 Hp two stroke. The 9.9 is a bit anemic, and barely gets the boat up on plane. I'm going to check the prop pitch, and consider getting a hydrafoil for the O/B. Later, though - maybe next year. I just want to be done with the project for a little while.

Sorry I didn't get any pictures. I was more concerned with making sure the boat was floating, the engine was running, and keeping my family doing what they were supposed to be doing. My son (9) follows about half of the directions I give, which resulted in him attaching one dock line only to the bow. After I parked the Jeep and the trailer, I came back to the dock to find the boat 90 degrees to the dock and beached. Got it hooked up again while wife and daughter (5) decided to wander off for some reason. Add that to the fact that I was trying to lower the motor, answer my son's questions, check for leaks, and try to remember everything I learned about launching a boat just last year, you might say I was distracted. My worrying definitely detracted from the fun of finally getting the boat back on the lake.

I promise there will be pictures of the boat out on the water soon. Hopefully this weekend. In the meantime, I've attached a pi of what the boat looked like immediately after I finished the checklist.

I did get a very nice compliment as we got back to the dock. I was chatting with a guy as I tied up, who asked how big the boat was. I told him it was a 16 footer. He said "Beautiful boat." I thanked him and told him it was a 1979. He asked "It's a 19 footer? I thought you said 16?" My wife told him no, it was built in 1979, and that I just finished rebuilding it. His response made 8 months of frustration and skinned knuckles worth it: "Whoa. That's a beautiful boat."

Attachments

• photo292874.jpg
    photo292874.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
Congrates on getting the boat wet, nice work.

But, as for the power, the surprise is that with that load it even got close to getting on plane.
A 16 ft boat is underpowered with a 20, a 10 is just a kicker.

"I'm already missing my big horse of a 20 Hp two stroke. The 9.9 is a bit anemic, and barely gets the boat up on plane."

My concern with using the rear handles for tie down is what are they made from, if forged, then no problem,
but if sand cast, they could break at any time. It just depends.
On the other hand, if you install a steel/SS eye, then you know it's no problem.

Dan

Monmouth00

Petty Officer 2nd Class
But, as for the power, the surprise is that with that load it even got close to getting on plane.
A 16 ft boat is underpowered with a 20, a 10 is just a kicker.

With my wife and daughter in the front of the boat, it just barely did - or at least felt a lot better than when they were sitting in the back.

I'll have to be very careful to position people in the boat in the future.

Would the boat benefit from trim tabs? Or will it not make any difference with such a small O/B?