Monmouth's 1979 Starcraft Kingfisher Rebuild

BWR1953

Admiral
Does it matter if my handles on the back of the boat are bolted through the transom wood? They seem pretty sturdy - just as sturdy as if I were to pass and eye bolt through and hook the strap there, right? I hope so, because I bought two 500 Lb. retractable straps that are now connecting the boat to the trailer via the back handles. I'm using them in conjunction with the boat buckle strap we were talking about.

Anyway, I splashed. On Saturday.

The boat was finished on Saturday morning, after wrestling with the steering cable install. Long story, lots of grease and frustration, and some bloody knuckles. Followed by bewilderment and confusion when the motor would only turn left. Disassembled, reassembled, didn't do anything different, but it somehow fixed the problem.

Putted around the lake with the four of us in the boat for about 3 hours. The wife and kids loved it. I was nervous the whole time. I was listening to the motor, checking the bilge, expecting the worst. But, to my surprise, the motor worked perfectly, and there was almost no water entry during the entire trip. There was some water in the bilge, but I never heard the pump kick on, and it never rose above a certain level. I believe the culprit was a few rivets that I sank without 5200 under them. I expected them to be well above the water line, but with wife, kids, motor, two batteries, and a full tank of gas, she rode a little lower than expected.

The motor was running perfectly smoothly. But I'm already missing my big horse of a 20 Hp two stroke. The 9.9 is a bit anemic, and barely gets the boat up on plane. I'm going to check the prop pitch, and consider getting a hydrafoil for the O/B. Later, though - maybe next year. I just want to be done with the project for a little while.

Sorry I didn't get any pictures. I was more concerned with making sure the boat was floating, the engine was running, and keeping my family doing what they were supposed to be doing. My son (9) follows about half of the directions I give, which resulted in him attaching one dock line only to the bow. After I parked the Jeep and the trailer, I came back to the dock to find the boat 90 degrees to the dock and beached. Got it hooked up again while wife and daughter (5) decided to wander off for some reason. Add that to the fact that I was trying to lower the motor, answer my son's questions, check for leaks, and try to remember everything I learned about launching a boat just last year, you might say I was distracted. My worrying definitely detracted from the fun of finally getting the boat back on the lake.

I promise there will be pictures of the boat out on the water soon. Hopefully this weekend. In the meantime, I've attached a pi of what the boat looked like immediately after I finished the checklist.

I did get a very nice compliment as we got back to the dock. I was chatting with a guy as I tied up, who asked how big the boat was. I told him it was a 16 footer. He said "Beautiful boat." I thanked him and told him it was a 1979. He asked "It's a 19 footer? I thought you said 16?" My wife told him no, it was built in 1979, and that I just finished rebuilding it. His response made 8 months of frustration and skinned knuckles worth it: "Whoa. That's a beautiful boat."

Woohoo! Starcraft on the water! CONGRATULATIONS! :rockon:

You've done a great job and should rightfully be proud of the great splash and compliments! Proud of ya! :)

I can completely relate to being nervous on the first splash after the fixup. I went through the very same thing with my KF. One thing I did before leaving the launch area was to put the trolling motor down and made sure that it worked. That way I knew that I had a backup way to get back to the ramp if the "big" motor failed.

And speaking of "big" motors... I'm glad to hear that you were able to get your KF on plane with the 9.9 motor. The Johnson 8HP tiller I had on my KF wasn't quite able to get us up on plane. But a "big" part of that was my massive bulk! :lol: :eek:

Here's my KF with the 8HP Johnson. Almost on plane... almost...

"Ya done good, bubba!" Looking forward to seeing pix and vids of the boat in action on the water! :D

BWR1953

Admiral
I'd say that the KF is too small to justify trim tabs. A hydrofoil will help you get on plane quicker. Repositioning weight in the boat will help it sit flatter on the water while under way. You'll need to experiment some.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Congrats on getting your KF out on the water. The tabs would just add more drag to your boat, it's a matter of size, weight and HP not more planing surface.

Monmouth00

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Many, many thanks, gentlemen! Specifically BWR1953 and Watermann who answered so many questions for me over the last 8 months. I really do appreciate it, and mean it that I probably wouldn't have gotten as far as I did without your help.

More pics to follow, I promise!

Watermann

I'll just leave this pic of your KF right here...

fetch

Monmouth00

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Father's Day on the water!

Here's some proof that she actually floats!

Attachments

• photo293349.jpg
    photo293349.jpg
    487.7 KB · Views: 8
  • photo293350.jpg
    photo293350.jpg
    507.2 KB · Views: 8
  • photo293351.jpg
    photo293351.jpg
    736.7 KB · Views: 8
  • photo293352.jpg
    photo293352.jpg
    468.9 KB · Views: 8
  • photo293353.jpg
    photo293353.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 8
  • photo293354.jpg
    photo293354.jpg
    681.6 KB · Views: 8
  • photo293355.jpg
    photo293355.jpg
    598.1 KB · Views: 8
  • photo293356.jpg
    photo293356.jpg
    717 KB · Views: 8

BWR1953

Admiral
Woohoo! Kingfisher on the water! Congrats again! :sad: :)

It looks really great. Lotsa work but it paid off in the end. :eagerness:

Watermann

Looks like it was a nice day for your family to be out on the waves with a boat you built making memories and smiles.

That's what it's all about!

Decker83

Commander
The pic's of the boat and family look awesome.. Everyone had great smiles on their faces. Lots of fun..
Can't wait to get my grandchildren out on the water..

Monmouth00

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The Boy and I got out on he water this past weekend for a little night rainbow trout fishing. Even though we didn't catch anything (a first for night rainbow fishing or us), we had a beautiful evening on the water. It was flat calm, a perfect temperature, and we got a beautiful sunset out of the deal.

We motored across the lake, and I opened the speedometer app on my iPhone. Looks like we hit a top speed of 11 mph with just me and he Boy in the boat. Not exactly screaming speed, but what can I really expect from a 9.9 on a 16 foot boat?

I do feel like we got up on plane though. Several times I throttled back to look at fish popping up on the finder, and felt a distinct settling of the boat as we slowed. Almost like the boat dropped out from under me. I presume that means I was on plane?

Regardless, I'm still concerned about the stern sitting too low in the water, and being level on the water when all four of us are in the boat. I know it may not make much of a difference at all with a 9.9, but I figured for an investment of $28, I would try a Doel Fin hydrofoil.

I haven't gotten a chance to try it out yet, but will let you know if there is any discernible difference after this weekend. I'll also take some time to fiddle with the tilt of the engine. I'm currently on the second position away from the stern, but might go to the third if I don't see too much difference with the hydrofoil.

Anyone of any experience with a hydrofoil on a small outboard? What should I expect?

Attachments

• photo294085.jpg
    photo294085.jpg
    403.6 KB · Views: 3
  • photo294086.jpg
    photo294086.jpg
    616.1 KB · Views: 3

fishrdan

Admiral
Good to see you go the boat out!

You may need to get a different prop for the outboard, lower pitch, to bring up the RPM's and power of the outboard.

You need a tach for this, so you can find out what RPM the engine is currently running at WOT, and also the GPS numbers like you have. (I wouldn't expect much with a 9.9 on a 16'er, it may plane with 1 person, but load it down, and.....)

I'm running a Stingray Jr fin on my 14' job boat, works well. Lots of people hate them as they can rob power, so I took mine off... Put it back on when I got home since it makes the boat plane quick, it was a slug with the fin removed.

Last edited:

Monmouth00

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So, from what I described, was I on plane?

I'm not entirely sure I want to re-prop the motor. Speed is really not that big of a deal to me. If you're telling me it might damage the engine, I'll consider it. If it's just a matter of being 1-2 mph faster, I won't bother.

Again, the point of the Doel Fin was to level out the boat when underway. The stern is too low right now, and I feel like the engine is too deep in the water. I'm betting on the fin raising it by a few inches.

In running the boat, I've always found that I throw off a fairly significant wake, even when only moving at 7-8 knots. See the attached picture. Does this say anything about the attitude of the boat, or the positioning of the engine?

Thanks!

Attachments

• photo293356.jpg
    photo293356.jpg
    717 KB · Views: 5

Watermann

Your 16'r will need to reach a speed about 18-20 MPH to actually be up on a plane and even then a lot of the hull will still be in the water.

fishrdan

Admiral
So, from what I described, was I on plane?

Speed is really not that big of a deal to me.

If you're telling me it might damage the engine, I'll consider it. If it's just a matter of being 1-2 mph faster, I won't bother.

I don't think it was on plane, that happens somewhere around 20mph.

Speed isn't important until you need it: emergency, outrunning a storm, (fish are biting and kids need to take a wiz) ,etc.. I've been caught over-propped at 9000' altitude when the wind kicked up, nail-biter trip back for the passengers in the boat....

Over-propping an outboard is bad as it will "lug" the outboard and eventually cause damage, or at least a shorter life. An outboard should be propped to within it's WOT range, ideally hitting the top of it's WOT range when lightly loaded. This is where the tach (tiny tach) comes in, so you know the RPM of the outboard at WOT, and can prop accordingly.

Balance of the boat comes into play also, too much weight in the stern will make it difficult to plane. On my 14' jon boat I have the batteries and fuel tank mid-ship. 150# that's not in the stern. As I remember your seating was mid-ship, so that helps.

Monmouth00

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks, fellas!

So, I definitely was not on plane at 11 mph, and am very unlikely to ever hit 20 mph with my wimpy 9.9

Oh well. Being HP limited on these lakes is a bummer, but speed is not incredibly high on my wish list anyway.

The outboard was originally on a 13' Boston Whaler. I'm not sure that the prop was ever changed from the one that was originally sold with the engine.

I can't imagine there's a ton of stress on the engine. It certainly doesn't sound like it's under strain, even with the controls pushed all the way forward. As a matter of fact, I was surprised at how quiet it is when running. The motor really doesn't change pitch from half to full open. I even suspected that maybe I wasn't getting full travel out of the cables because it just doesn't sound like it's wide open at full throttle. But, it does appear that it's wide open when the controls are at their limits. I just am only going 11 mph.

There is definitely too much weigh in the stern of my boat. I have to move the batteries forward eventually. But for now I'm hoping the Doel Fin will raise it when I'm motoring.

I also looked at raising the engine a bit, as the AV plate sits about 2" below the lowest point on the stern. But, if I were to raise it by 2", the clamps wouldn't be sitting on the transom wood. I have the OB through-bolted, but still want the clamps to remain on the meat of the transom wood. It's a solid piece of douglas fir, and some folks have indicated that it could crack (I don't think it will with only a 75 Lb OB hanging on it), but if it does give, I want the clamps on too.

Your thoughts an opinions on any of this is greatly appreciated.

Watermann

You're not going to be gaining anything in the way speed or performance with what amounts to a kicker or trolling motor by tweaking height so I would just go out and enjoy what you have.

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
I agree there likely not much to be gained raising the motor.
But, how much have you played with the trim setting? Being you don't have power trim, what ever you set it at will be a compromise between getting it out of the water and cruising.

And a question, why is there a motor restriction on that lake? Who imposes it? Just curious. And why not just go to a different lake?

And a final comment, the older OMC 9.9 and 15's are the same, get a 15 and put a 9.9 cover on it, and watch your throttle position. :)

Dan

there are/were a lot of 30-35's running up North with 25 covers