Monaco Project - QC

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Re: Monaco Project - QC

:D Been there done that...First i took a gas leaf blower and blew every square inch of the garage..Big mistake..finally took a pressure washer and blew the whole garage down twice..In the end..there was still some contamination..Even in down draft spray booths you get contamination..:(

Carry on and good luck ..By the way after its all done and months later when you look @ it and cant remeber where all the imperfections were you may realize they werent so bad after all....:p

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, I'm doing okay with contamination now. It's brush strokes getting the best of me . . .

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Go to home depot and pick up some closed cell rollers. Roll and roll dont tip...Just give it a try it will work fine..As to thining out with xylene that might be part of the problem

QC

Supreme Mariner

This is what I need . . . thanks TG. I am using closed foam rollers (the little white finest they have right?) Anyway, I have junked the Xylene over a year ago. I used Penetrol which helped a lot. The latest, and best so far, is the Epifanes brushing thinner. I have tried foam brushes and various expensive China bristle brushes. I have tried vertical tipping on the final pass (recommended) and Horizontal which I believe came out best. This is on the sides so I like the horizontal look best so far. Nothing seems that different ultimately as far as the resulting loss of thickness when I sand out with 400 thoroughly and flat. What I haven't done is roll only although I was tempted to after reading some posts here. I just don't see the bubbles coming out, but I am willing to try it . . . Not getting anywhere as is.

Paul Ryan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow...don't you dare stop...lol...Those that have done projects (myself included) understand the rough spots. Stay the course and a big light (idea) with lead you home. Your work is out standing!

drewpster

Commander

Just....WOW.....I mean....WOW......anxiously awaiting updates.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Are you using a single stage paint or two stage and its type or msd..Penetrol wont give you the best finish

QC

Supreme Mariner

It's single . . . another regret sometimes . . . I chose it after looking at this video (click tab that says "video") and there's a comparison of Brightsides, Easypoxy and what I chose, Epifanes Monourethane. I am using their thinner now.

I figured I could roll and tip after looking at Drewpster's results . . . Yes, I know that was Perfection . . .

QC

Supreme Mariner

Look at post #39, maybe I am over thinking this . . . wouldn't be the first time :rolleyes: I can't imagine that I could simply coat over those brush strokes and then only do a quality color sanding after the final . . . :confused:

BobsGlasstream

Commander

QC,
I'm not sure if this will help or not but I thought I would share.
I do a lot of woodworking and I was always fighting the finish. Brush marks, bubbles and everything else. Then I started working with thinner coats ( I do not mean I thinned the material, just applied less) and fewer coats and waiting longer before trying to finish sand. I was using a PU finish. Now my final coats look like glass after I lightly sand a buff with polish.
Hope it helps.:confused:
Bob

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

So here's my current and never ending dilemma. If these pics look familiar that would explain "current and never ending" . . . I put down a coat of paint, sand out the brush marks, and end up with no build up. So I will end up using 17 gallons of paint and have 2 mils of thickness :eek: Looking over the previous posts again this morning, it was suggested that I should put the early coats on thicker. I have been heading the other direction; thinning more to try and eliminate the brush marks, so I don't have to sand the whole coat off. This is Epifanes Monourethane and I am using their brushing thinner:

2n1gzyf.jpg

Not bad right? Then:

k4j7h5.jpg

And then, after a light sanding . . . :eek:

16c9hqp.jpg

So I get PO'd, sand some more and basically start over and waste paint. WTF should I do? Invest in a Paint store? Sand it all off and start spraying? Write off the entire project and make it into a planter? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! :mad:

OK, that feels better. Help!

Looks to me like to much paint QC..aka thats sagging but its ok. If it were me id take 200 grit and flatten all those line's...use the roll and roll method on 4' section..this is a test area and no solvents none..it will take about 3 minutes to roll...in 4 or 5 flatten the stippling with a clean roller and a very fine nap will result and should flatten like glass

QC

Supreme Mariner

I did get a little sanding done today. I have to use a fairly firm sanding block to get rid of the brush strokes and not remove too much, so it is slow and painful . . .

I think I am going to try TGs roll and roll method. I watched the videos and I guess it is worth a try. I am not convinced my problem is sag though as I had the same issue with vertical strokes . . . if it was sag you'd think the horizontal strokes would be worse and generally it is better. This pic shows vertical brush strokes which are evident when you look at the yellow strap refelctions. All of my pics are dry paint BTW . . . ;)

29vld9f.jpg

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Good luck with the enamel, QC. I ditched it after having the same issue over and over again. Spraying it didn't seem to help any, either. Instead of mini sags, spraying caused orangle peel.. not any better. You can check out my thread for the lessons I have learned so far. I ended up giving in and buying urethane base/clear.

I'd love to hear of a means to overcome that mini sag issue. I brushed horizontally as well and figured that was the cause of the sags.. guess not :redface:

QC

Supreme Mariner

Just 'cuz Cheapboatkev started it, in my best SoCal slang, your pics are still jacked up dude . . . ^^^^^^

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Just 'cuz Cheapboatkev started it, in my best SoCal slang, your pics are still jacked up dude . . . ^^^^^^

Not again :( .. I'll fix them.

EDIT: Links are fixed.

PS: Never try to manage your Picasa account on two Pc's. It doesn't end well.. at all.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Am I a fool to consider that vertical brush marks are not "sags" and that they prove that my horizontal brush marks are also not "sags" and that these brush strokes will indeed flatten if I find the right method and/or thinning ratio?

The horizontal marks look identical to the vertical ones and I do have a few individual spots where I did put on too much paint and those brush strokes did in fact "sag" so I can see a difference between a brush mark and a "sag". Clear as mud?

I agree on the curing time, but I have learned to go thin, that's one reason that I am not confident my issue is too much paint . . . Very "empty" roller to start, little to no paint on the brush, etc.

BTW, casual observers of finished coats think I am being too picky . . .

BobsGlasstream

Commander

QC,
You are the only one that can really see it in person. :p
It's your boat and your choice. ;)
Keep the pic's coming.
Bob

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Am I a fool to consider that vertical brush marks are not "sags" and that they prove that my horizontal brush marks are also not "sags" and that these brush strokes will indeed flatten if I find the right method and/or thinning ratio?

The horizontal marks look identical to the vertical ones and I do have a few individual spots where I did put on too much paint and those brush strokes did in fact "sag" so I can see a difference between a brush mark and a "sag". Clear as mud?

Not sure how much help this will be, but I noticed when roll and tipping my boat that it looks nearly perfect right after painting it and the mini-sags appeared only after it began to set. To me, this sounds like a true sag. I guess the best way to find out is to try the same method on a horizontal surface. If the same mini-sags appear, it can't be blamed on gravity and dry time.

If I were to try again, I would likely use much faster flashing thinner, like acetone or xylene and thinner (and more) coats. I also wouldn't sand at all until nearly the fourth coat, then sand once until smooth, then add a final, super-thin, protection coat.

Whether that would work.. anybody's guess :)

I hear you on being picky, though. My boat ended up looking the same as yours and it didn't enter my mind to leave it like that.. until I saw it on the trailer. Once it is back on the trailer, not only is it barely noticeable (the ground is plenty wavy, so you can't see the waves), but you begin to re-realize why you are doing the restore.. to use your boat. I had actually forgotten about using my boat somewhere in the midst of the restore itself.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Well I am convinced they are brush strokes and not sags because of the absolute similarity to the vertical and horizontal lines. And the strokes lines are improving between just after I paint and drying, they just don't flatten all the way . . . I know I am gonna need more paint and that is pizzing me off!!!! There will be a lot of coats though, I guess that's good.