Minimum MPH Boat/Motor?

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
I wasn't sure where to post this question, hopefully here is fine.

Been researching new fishing for me... lake trout and landlocked salmon.
It is recommended to troll between 1.5 & 1.8 MPH.
Would my 50hp Merc on my boat go that slow (see signature)?
Or do I need something else?
:unsure:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If it goes too fast, throw out a drift sock or a Homer bucket. Both on a hank of line, of course.

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the quick reply.

I was thinking I might need a drift sock.
I don't think an electric trolling motor would work but not sure on that either.

I still need to research if a speedo can be hooked up to my motor.

dwco5051

Commander
Thanks for the quick reply.

I was thinking I might need a drift sock.
I don't think an electric trolling motor would work but not sure on that either.

I still need to research if a speedo can be hooked up to my motor.
Boat speedometers are not that accurate to even come close to determining your true speed. It is probably going to take some sort of GPS to measure that small of a range.

Edit: I use a 30 some year old fish finder with a paddle wheel speed display. It was top line in its day. Now I am going to have to check it against a gps just to see how accurate it is.

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Been there done that. 1.8 MPH is what you want.

Whether it goes that slow depends on the boat and motor combination. Regardless, if it does indeed met the required speed, you'll foul those plugs in short order.

Put on a 6 - 9.9 kicker and you'll problem will be solved. Everyone needs a kicker anyway.

Lake Trout and landlocked salmon....with a 9.9 kicker after running a properly propped 9.9 for 5 hours straight and no fouling.....

Ontario Salmon.jpg

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Boat speedometers are not that accurate to even come close to determining your true speed. It is probably going to take some sort of GPS to measure that small of a range.
For trolling fishing when you need true boat speed in the water, a GPS is absotutely worthless. Wind, waves and current negate any advantage of the GPS.

A pitot tube speedometer, properly set up and functional is an awesome measuring device, but its not accurate at slow speed. It get all the bad press because the pitots eventually get plugged up and the hoses get cracked and leak with age.

What you need is a paddle wheel speedometer. They show true boat speed relative to the water and they are not affected by any outside variable.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
We fish Bows and Salmon in the Great Lakes. We have caught them at 1.8 MPH and at 2.8 MPH. The fish will tell you what speed to troll at that day and what time of that day. With the currents and winds here the speed of the cannon ball is not the speed of the boat. I can't explain it simpler than that. It can get confusing. JimS may be able to explain it better than I.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Put a low pitch prop on the boat.
If you are using a kicker, that will be necessary too. If you try to use the main with a low pitch prop, my feeling is that there still will be more fouling than you'll be happy with. Like I said, been there, done that.

As far as electric, I know some people do it and swear by the new high powered motors, but I just don't see a lot of that where we go fishing.

When you say "trolling", that could mean using downriggers and a canonball, or flatlining with a dipsy or merely a deep diving plug. While the required speeds may vary somewhat, the motor you need to get the job done will be the same.

I think the canonball moves at the same speed as the boat, if the boat is going in a straight line. As you turn they don't necessarily stay the same. What is confusing to some people is that the speed over water and the speed over the earth are not the same.

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
WOW thank you everyone for all the feedback and suggestions.

Dang it sucks getting old, I should have known about fouling the plugs.

So a outboard attached speedo and GPS is out.
A kicker motor with possibly a low pitch prop is in, moves at slower speeds and get back to shore if main motor fails.
Electric trolling motor good for fishing along shore in cover at real slow speed for say bass, also get back to shore.
Need to search for a paddle wheel speedometer.

I watched some YouTube videos of people fishing for Lake Trout & Salmon on Lake Winnipesaukee. They did both jigging and trolling. The fish can be found during summer from 25' to 50' depending on the thermocline. Different people used different methods, from down riggers, plainer boards to just heavy spoons and everything in between.

Dang JimS... that's some big fish!
Didn't see anything that big in the Lake Winnipesaukee videos.
I'd guess you needed more than the 15-20 pound test that they claim is all I will need.

I'm sure that a trolling motor would work well as well. I have a 90hp on my 16' Alumacraft. If I can't troll down slow enough, I drop in the trolling motor.

When I'm fishing spring lakers in the BWCA out of a canoe, I don't have any electronics. I just have my pole between my legs and a paddle in my hands. If I'm not catching them I experiment with speeding up and slowing down. You don't have to get too crazy with everything. It's like knowing the "optimal" fishing times based on moon, barometric pressure, etc. Some folks go crazy analyzing all the details. Some go fishing.

Good luck

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
Run this in a 2-Stroke outboard and you'll never foul a plug again. Been doing this since 1990. https://www.amsoil.com/p/outboard-100-1-pre-mix-synthetic-2-stroke-oil-ato/
As far as an electric bow mount type trolling motor, if you properly size the motor to your boat you should able to troll 1.8 mph all day long.

All that said, I nice 9.9 h.p. 4-stroke would work perfectly. Whisper quiet too.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Run this in a 2-Stroke outboard and you'll never foul a plug again. Been doing this since 1990. https://www.amsoil.com/p/outboard-100-1-pre-mix-synthetic-2-stroke-oil-ato/
As far as an electric bow mount type trolling motor, if you properly size the motor to your boat you should able to troll 1.8 mph all day long.

All that said, I nice 9.9 h.p. 4-stroke would work perfectly. Whisper quiet too.
Lots of controversial discussion about Amsoil in general, plus the everlasting 50:1....100:1 debate.

Run this at 100:1 in a trolling kicker and I'm sure you'd love the performance. But, wanna run it in the main at 5000 rpm? And if you troll with the main at 50:1 my guess is that it would foul eventually.

And then again, when we say "troll" what is the usual procedure? When I go fishing we troll for a good 5-6 hours, with a mere 15 minutes break in the middle to eat lunch. It took me several years to set up the engine so that after those 6 hours she didn't smoke and grease up plugs.

In any event, my last 'Rude 9.9 Kicker troller was bought new and was 35 years old when we sold her, and she still ran like new. Now its 4-stroke all the way and there is NO experimenting necessary.

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
I have to revisit this topic... :oops:

Lot's of good advice was previously given. So far I have not been able to afford either a kicker or electric trolling motor. I could save all winter for let's say a real good electric as new and used 4 strokes are way out of my price range (probably would take years of saving).

I just came across this and was wondering if I should go with it or not?

"1963 Evinrud fleettwin 7.5 hp engine does run but carburetor needs attention. Asking $50. Comes wit 3 gallon fuel tank, 5 gallon gas can, 2 stroke oil and fuel mixture measurement cup."

I don't mind having to play around with or rebuilding the carb if parts are still available.

Also if this motor would work out fine by next spring I could also get a good electric trolling motor. :unsure:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would pull the trigger and get it (or tell us where it is)

worst case for $50, you sell the 3 gallon fuel tank for $30 and hang the outboard on the wall of the mancave

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Carb needs attention means it dont run...lol
50 bucks is unusually cheap
I believe a 63 is 24.1 oil
If so, its gonna be a smoker.

matt167

Captain
'64 or '65 I think is the official year they switched to 50:1. Possibly '66, But it had to do with different bearings they had been using for a few years before that and some of the older motors will run on 50:1. Racerone will know.. Either way, buy it because it's a good bet for $50

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Sorry if I sounded negative. For 50 bucks I would buy it too. But not any more - but only because I already have one, plus his Johnson cousin. I also have matching 5 horses, and tens as well. Good motors and parts are available. Just be prepared to maybe have to spend 100+ more. If the coils are original they will need to be replaced.

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you all for chiming in with your advice.

I might just get it and fix it up so it will be at least dependable. If it smokes too much for my occasional lake trout/salmon trolling at least it could get me back to shore if my main motor quits.

I'll still plan on an electric trolling motor. Not sure though if I want it just for my more frequent bass fishing or more thrust for salmon fishing. Kind of like the idea of a 12v versus 24v but we'll see. :unsure:

Thank you again!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If you havent bought it, bet someone else has