Miami to Bimini trip

Danny93

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, I am a first time owner of a boat... finally a dream come true.
I did alot of work on it and is good not, just few more cosmetic updates that i keep postponing just becuase I rather ride the waters with it that the trailer that sits for most of the week.

I have heard of people crossing over to Bimini from Miami with all sort of boat type and sizes, I even seen youtube videos of people going there with wave runners. I saw a video of a guy and his wife going there with a 15ft boston wailer. So now I got this thing in my head of gong there too with my boat. She is a 20 ft cuddy cabin with a single 3.0 Mercruiser engine that runs like a fine tuned violin, and consumes so little gas I can't even believe it.

On all videos I have seen i noticed the water is really calm and especially smooth, almost looks like oil, what is the best website or source to find out the next time the water is so smooth? when si the best time of the day/year weather wise to go there? anybody doing this trip in a month or so? I even thoguht of following a cruise ship, thre is one that goes to bimini actually but it comes back too soon , you only get to stay 2 hours in the island.

much appreciated.

danny

RyanSS

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Miami to Bimini trip

If you do it, make sure you have a capable buddy boat. A 20ft boat will feel REALLY small when that gulf stream kicks up!

agallant80

Commander

I looked in to this and I would love to do it some day. Here are a few thoughts.

Have seatow and make sure they cover off shore area
Its about $300 to go through customs
Fuel can be hard to find and some times have questonable quality
Get charts, there are allot of under water obstructions over there
Don't go alone your first time.
Do you have a plotter and more importantly know how to use charts and tack via good old paper charts?
Also you should plan the trip out. Plan for weather that may keep you over there for a few extra days.

Last edited:

Danny93

Seaman Apprentice

thank you agallant80, I have a seatow and they cover offshore not sure if phone coverage (T-Mobile) goes that far. that brings up the point that maybe I should bu a VHF radio ha?

I have heard about questionable fuel quality over there so I'll bring extra. I have a Marine GPS and so far has been helping me alot getting around, are charts more reliable?

My main concearn is exactly what you mention, weather condition to go there and come back. Sasot in the previous post added a wether underground website, I'm trying to learn how to read it right. I have been suggested to follow a cruiseship that sails every day from Miami to bimini and back. what are your thoguhts? have you done this trip before?

agallant80

Commander

I have never done the trip. The cruse ship idea may not be bad but I would try to meet up with other boaters, I am sure there is an armada heading over there every weekend. One thing you should have is a VHF and a fixed mounted one at that. I have a hand held and the range is pretty poor.

I would like to make this trip with the wife next year, we have been playing with the idea for the past year, just a matter of finding the time and money to tow the boat down there. I also hear some of the marinas over there will gouge you on slip rates and theft is pretty common if you leave things out on deck (radios, rods, cell phones)

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer

... The cruse ship idea may not be bad...

There are ferries that go between Miami and Bimini. Also, maybe between FLL and Bimini. One thing to keep in mind is that these are large fast ferries. If you cannot travel on open water at ~30 knots for 3-4 hours straight you will not be able to keep up with the ferry.

agallant80

Commander

I really like the ferry idea. After a quick google search it looks like that are a few that make the trip. I doubt they will stop and tow you but if you have a catastrophic failure (fire or sinking) im sure they would lend a hand.

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know it has been a bit since any post has been made on this, but I have looked at this run as well. I am looking at towing out the boat just for the trip, and to say I have done it. Danny or agallan, if either of you make the trip please post and update, and as always, pictures are always appreciated.

Danny93

Seaman Apprentice

I know it has been a bit since any post has been made on this, but I have looked at this run as well. I am looking at towing out the boat just for the trip, and to say I have done it. Danny or agallan, if either of you make the trip please post and update, and as always, pictures are always appreciated.

Okieboatguy, when are you planning on doing this? I still have not done it. A couple of times the water was super smooth and almost no waves and I was so tempted, I'm just hesitant doing it by myself.
What kind of boat do you have?

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 20' Bayliner, its small, however, like you I see many people on waverunners and small 15' jet boats do it, so I figured since mine was bigger than those, I would make a try for it in a year or two. Currently though, I am in the rebuild stage of my boat. I purchased this Bayliner project from my neighbor for $300, knowing the hull, engine and out drive were in excellent shape, but the floor and transom needed to be replaced. My current family boat is a Tri-Toon, and I have heard horror stories of why you never put a pontoon on the ocean, as well as trailering that thing half way across the country would be murder due to that boat obvious trailering aerodynamic similarities between that boat and a 8' wide cinder block.
If all goes well, and the boat is complete, I am wanting to make it out that way in June, but I have not even looked at where to put in at. This is a dream still in the planning stages.

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I HAVE made the trip a couple of times in a 21' Robalo CC with a Merc 200, and its not at all what its cracked up to be. Biggest issue? The water of course. It may be flat when you start out, but the Gulf Stream can go from flat to 4'-6' without warning. Make sure you look at the weather and pick your day carefully. I got caught over there for 3 days waiting for the water to lay back down. A 20' boat will seem like a canoe in the open ocean. ONLY make the crossing during the Summer months in Florida, when the wind blows a little less. A southeast wind can make the trip pretty rough going over....but a little smoother coming back.

Another issue is fuel. Fuel is VERY expensive in The Bahamas....nearly $6 per gallon. I questioned the quality of the fuel as well. Make sure you are well fueled (with extra containers) before you leave Florida. Make sure your motor is 100% before you leave. Decent mechanics and repair parts have to be flown in if you have issues. I saw a Yamaha dealer, but other makes and models are flat out of luck. Sea Tow will not come and get you in the Bahamas.

If you decide to go, make sure you go with a group making the crossing as well. A GPS will be just fine, but make sure you still have charts and a good compass in case of equipment failure. Going over is the hard part. It's easy to miss the Bahamas going East, but coming back West to Florida is less stressful. You are bound to hit SOMEWHERE on the Florida coastline.

Great planning (and Luck) is the key. Just because you plan to make the crossing on a certain day, it does not mean the weather (and Ocean) will allow you to go. You have to be flexable on your days and your times.

Last edited:

Danny93

Seaman Apprentice

Okieboatguy; that is awesome, I have a 20ft boat too is a Sea Pro Citation, I think it was a spinoff of Bayliner. Mine also is a rebuilt boat, same stuff as your, engine and Hull were great, just had to re-do the floor. I'm just about done and hope to do the cross over next summer months. I also just started doing kiteboarding and my instructor told me they have group of kiteboarderes that do the cross over with kites!!!!!! there is a boat following them, usually is a sponsored event. I think if I can find a group of 2 or 3 other sea warriors I would feel better doing the trip. keep me posted

Danny93

Seaman Apprentice

TD_Maker, thank you for the info, everything you say makes a lot of sense and my main issue is the ocean forecasts. I have heard fishermen make precise predictions just looking at the clouds, the wind and temperatures, forget the weatherchannel. Unfortunately I'm not a one of those wise guys and as you eloquently said, flat sea at shores does not mean it would be the same out in the open ocean. How do I find out the true conditions as accurately as possible without interrupting the peace a quiet of those fisherman dudes minding their own business? I also have heard of people just hanging overnight at the beach with their cuddy cabin boats, so no need to the marina.
in addition to the high cost of gas, I have also heard of the poor quality of it at the Bahamas with in many cases water in the fuel. I guess I will bring a couple of fuel tanks with me to be used for the return trip. I also have US Tow and they said they will pick me up in Bimini but I will have to pay about $500 to clear custom for their boat and service.
How long did it take you to go over? how was the ocean condition? what engine do you have? how much gas did you burn in one trip approx.?

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

TD, Yes thanks for the info. Danny, I think like me this brings up many more questions. I think you are correct, that it would be better if there was a group that went out. It would make some of the severity of the emergency of having an engine failure at the wrong time, the whole safety in numbers thing. Also, I had not thought about it, but, yes travel there may be ok, but the return would or could be varied due to weather, so planning on going and returning just more needs to be a window, more than a specific date.
Personally, I will be trying my boat out here on the Arkansas River before I make the run to Bimini. I was planning on going from Tulsa to Memphis or little Rock for one of the many BBQ Festivals they do along the river. This way I get an idea of range and what type of legs the little boat has. Also, Does anyone have an idea about just going to a beach and sleeping off shore on the boat? Has this been done and is it allowed? I would assume it is due to the many sailing and cruising craft that make the trip where the owners are using the boats/ yachts as live aboards.

ocgrant

Recruit

Hey guys just caught this thread. I just moved to Miami from Southern California. Had my boat shipped over in early spring. Wanted to get to Bimini in summer but with new job never made it as I was told be prepared to spend extra days due to return weather. Heard a lot of local stories about turning back being too rough. Found this group that puts on flings over to Bimini though you might be interested. I think the minimum size is 22 ft though..... We are planning on going over on a couple of these flings this year. My boat is a little bigger at 46 ft so while weather is always a factor I have been pounded many times in the pacific so I prefer fair weather boating for sure. Check it out and maybe I will see you there.

Summer Boating Flings | The Official Site of The Bahamas

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

There are ferries that go between Miami and Bimini. Also, maybe between FLL and Bimini. One thing to keep in mind is that these are large fast ferries. If you cannot travel on open water at ~30 knots for 3-4 hours straight you will not be able to keep up with the ferry.

Why? It's only 60 miles. 30 knots for 2 hours or 15 knots for 4 hours.

Danny93

Seaman Apprentice

Hey guys just caught this thread. I just moved to Miami from Southern California. Had my boat shipped over in early spring. Wanted to get to Bimini in summer but with new job never made it as I was told be prepared to spend extra days due to return weather. Heard a lot of local stories about turning back being too rough. Found this group that puts on flings over to Bimini though you might be interested. I think the minimum size is 22 ft though..... We are planning on going over on a couple of these flings this year. My boat is a little bigger at 46 ft so while weather is always a factor I have been pounded many times in the pacific so I prefer fair weather boating for sure. Check it out and maybe I will see you there.

Summer Boating Flings | The Official Site of The Bahamas

thank you so much for the Link, that's what I was looking for. my boat is only 20ft but I can probably ask them lot's of advices and maybe find another more compatible group. On another note, 46 ft boat? dude, just go, not during a storm but.... take off and go.

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does anyone know how the customs works when going to Bimini? Are you required to check in and carry a passport? What fee are involved, if any?

OCGrant, with a 46 footer I would not be as worried about weather, or even lodging, that sounds like a trip begging to happen.