Mercruiser Alpha One Gen II Grease Fitting Location.

ARTIZAN

Seaman
Hi,

I got my Mercruiser 4.3 started and it ran for a short time then died. During the short periods of time it didn't make any funny noises at first but then started making a "railing" sound like a bearing was dry. I found the gimble bearing grease fitting and tried adding grease and starting the engine, then more grease, then more. The noise hasn't goes away. I looked behind the engine for the coupler grease fitting but I couldn't find it.

Here is a picture of the area forward of the stern behind the engine. Sorry it's so dirty in there.

IMG_0510[1].jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruizer Alphe One Gen II Grease Fitting Location.

Pull the drive, you will probably find water in the bellows. Rough/rusty gimbal bearing and rough/rusty ujoints will make lots of noise. You can't expect grease to fix them. The shaft in the coupler won't make noise, no matter what is wrong.

tpenfield

Staff member

The coupler grease fittings are nearly impossible to access, even when you can see them. I usually grease the coupler manually when I install the outdrive.

Like Don indicated, could be u-joints and such, so maybe you need to pull the outdrive for a better look. You have the u-joints and the gimbal bearing that can be inspected. If you use a tube held up to your ear, or a mechanic's stethoscope, you could better isolate the noise source.

ARTIZAN

Seaman
Re: Mercruiser Alpha One Gen II Grease Fitting Location.

OK, thanks. I will do that. Where can I get the gimble bearing for a good price? I found the bellows kit for $80 and the impeller & houseing for about $40 on Ebay. Are those good?

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Mercruiser Alpha One Gen II Grease Fitting Location.

DO NOT use the cheap-o bellows kits... if you make it thru one season with those you would be lucky. They are junk! OEM only. OEM should last you a good 5 years. Impeller and housing price seems about right. Gimbal bearing should be about $30-50. Look in the sticky at the top for help with pulling your old bearing out. There are automotive p/n's for your u-joints too. Goodluck!

ujoints- http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=238091
puller- http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=438801