Merc 250 cci questoin

weekender1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all well it has been a while since i have posted but need a question answered if i could please on my engines wiring harness there is a white wire going from the coil to smoe place els and in the book it says it is a resistance wire? when the motor is running the wire gets hot is this wire needed and also what is the wire for?..

also question 2 after making a new motor mount for the boat and setting the motor in when i do the allinment test with grease the top and bottom splin marks are good but for some reason the is more on the left side than the right side? i was told that when the engine mounts on the transom where bolted in place the engine would be straight and only have to adjust up or down? please let me know if there is something else that might need to be done.. Thanks.

(Do not judge a boat just do the fact it floats,Judge me for my speed.)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Merc 250 cci questoin

Have no idea what a 250cci is. Perhaps cu in? Is this an inline 6 chevy engine? Does it have a year? Perhaps a serial number on a tag above the starter?

Don S

in the book it says it is a resistance wire? when the motor is running the wire gets hot is this wire needed and also what is the wire for?..
Yes, they get hot.

As far as the alignment, if you have the front mount pushing the engine port or starboard, the the rear mounts will flex and the alignment bar will be off side to side. You need to center the engine, get the alignment where you want it port and stbd. then drill and lag the front mount in place and recheck.

weekender1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

so what would be the best way to center the motor? would you messure from inside of the hull then find dead center then messure out from there? and if the up and down is even. so if its off side to side that would do damage to the stern gears correct?

Don S

so what would be the best way to center the motor? would you messure from inside of the hull then find dead center then messure out from there? and if the up and down is even. so if its off side to side that would do damage to the stern gears correct?

You don't measure anything, you move the engine left or right until the alignment bar shows equal marks on both sides. Then and only then is it right.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

An uneven transom will cause lateral mis-alignment. Rot in the transom will have the same effect.

Chris.......