Men drivers

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander
"It's often been suggested that the most dangerous drug on the road is not alcohol but testosterone," says Chuck Hurley, vice president of the National Safety Council's transportation-safety group. "In virtually every area of risk, in virtually all age groups, males experience much higher rates of injury and death on the road than women do." <br />
I think I already knew that. :p <br />
"Why do we keep crashing? The statistics here are unequivocal: Men are much more likely than women to speed, drive aggressively, fail to wear seat belts, and drive drunk. In the case of the latter, 39 percent of all male driving deaths involved blood-alcohol levels of .08 percent or greater, compared with only 18 percent of female deaths."<br />
Yep, that's true.<br />
" You spy a sports car in front of you, and this immediately creates an element of competition. So you pick up speed to get in front of it, and you feel better for about 5 seconds--that is, until you see the next challenger." <br />
Yep, I know some of these men.<br /> web page <br />So, to you men out there. This isn't meant to be mean, just wondering if you think this is accurate.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Men drivers

Bassy, I think this would apply mostly to YOUNG men. Most of us here have survived that time of life - where the gene pool gets a filtering...

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Its fairly accurate, except for the fact that according to the insurance companies, the most dangerous driver on the road today is the teenage female. Boys do stupid, stupid things, but for the most part they are more involved in the process of operating the vehicle and master it more quickly initially ( I drive all day, trust me, young women almost kill me more than anything else on the road). Young women are more involved with talking to the six other girls in the vehicles, and just getting to where they are going. Every woman I know drives too fast, from my sister to my mother to my friends to my better half, and none of them have ever even done any practice panic stops or manuevers to find out what their cars do in emergency situations. My favorite quote was from my better half: "I'll know what to do if it ever happens". Yeah right, you never just know what to do. To their credit they are all decent drivers (minimal accidents), but they also have a collective amount of speeding tickets under their belts to be envied. <br /><br />Hey, men do dumb stuff too, but I think as with everything else, things are equaling out quite nicely between the genders when it comes to driving.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Interesting timing, Bassy.<br /><br />On my way home from the BIG city tonight I almost crashed twice:<br /><br />A young WOMAN turned left in front of me coming from the other direction. Thanks to MB's ABS, BAS and stability control, I missed her, but by less than a foot.<br /><br />A few miles later, out in the country a FEMALE deer ran into the highway in front of me and stopped. Again High-tech saved the day.<br /><br />Why do we crash so much? Because there are WOMEN on the road! :D :D

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Recently one of your biggest insurers released the accident stats of the last few years. No prizes for guessing the highest accident risk group. Females 17-25 years old.<br /><br />Been the victim of 2 crashes in the last 10 years. Both the fault of a YOUNG FEMALE driver. One ran a red light and then tried to blame me! QED.<br /><br />Chris........<br /><br />Sorry Bassy, Your Case #1 is definitely wrong. I ONCE let my (ex)wife tow the boat from home to the boat club. NEVER AGAIN!!! She was talking to our passengers the WHOLE time, with her head swivelled round, looking at them in the back seat. I think I must have told her to watch the road about 10 times! Her excuse - it's rude not to look at someone you are talking to.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

UH-OH!!! JB I think ya' just put a very large target on this thread..... :) Remember...Bassy and LF got company now...Mrs. SoulWinner.<br /><br />But your post really gave me a good laugh!!!! :D

Fly Rod

Commander

:)Your right JB females, "Always females!!!" :D <br /><br />If they aren't talking on the cell phone, it's taking the hair curlers out, if not that, it's using the rear view mirror to put lip stick on, if not that, it's plucking their eyebrows!!!<br /><br /> while standing on side walk my nephew puts blinker on to indicatethat he was going to park,girl driver behind him on cell phone, rear ends him, her car comes to a full stop and she is still talking on cell phone like nothing ever happened!!!<br /><br />So Bassey!! it is not men!!! ;) :cool:

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

I've been hit four times... All minor with little or no damage (knock on wood).... Each time by a women of various ages (including my own Mother :eek: )....<br /><br />The only accident I ever caused was because a woman neglected her vehicle... Now truthfully, I was probably following to close.. :eek: However, had her BRAKE lights and TURN signals been working, I may not have caused the accident....

achris

Now, let's get down to tin tacks!<br /><br />Our local newspaper ran an article this weekend on the sole survivor of an horrific traffic accident a few months ago.<br /><br />In short, a young (in-experienced MALE) driver lost control of his car, ran off the left hand side of the road (we drive on the left here), then over-corrected and hit a car coming the opposite direction. 2 people killed in the young drivers car, one more in a serious condition, 1 killed in the other car, one in a serious condition. The reason it made it to the paper was to tell the heart-ache of the survivor in the other car. His wife was killed and he had to be resusitated.<br /><br />OK, get to the point Chris.<br /><br />I believe that todays young drivers aren't being taught to drive, but taught how to pass the driving test. We need to have drivers taught how to handle emergency situations, not just how to indicate left, or which lane to travel in on a multi-lane expressway. <br /><br />Any opinions?<br /><br />Chris.........

Drowned Rat

Captain

I've been in two accidents. One while I was stopped at a traffic light on a motorcycle, a young female ran into me knocking over the bike. She was on a cell phone. The second was a older lady school bus driver who ran a stop sign and ran into me on my bicycle. I bought a trip on an ambulance that time. Both women said they never saw me. In fact, the bus driver didn't even stop. A witness chased her down in his car.

Homerr

Commander

Another great topic to vent on...<br /><br />Ask any trucker. He'll tell you that 99% of the time it's a FEMALE driver who's speeding/zipping around. <br /><br /><br />And the men still get higher insurance rates... :mad: <br /><br />Good point Chris. Good point indeed!<br />Most kids today act like the license should be given to them. <br /><br />I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm making my kids STUDY and WORK for their permit and license. This is one thing I will not give to them. They have to know the rules.<br />All I can give is support, and my knowledge. It's up to them to either learn from it, or fail the test.<br /><br /><br />H.<br /><br /><br />H.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

hmmmmmm....<br /><br />I'm putting to rest the fact that I've been rear-ended twice by women.. WHILE AT STOP SIGNS!<br /><br />My ex-wife totaled two new trucks with-in 5 months... less then 8,000 miles driven.<br /><br />and I had the ride from Hell today with a realtor lady in her 50's that caused me to check my seat belt connection once.... and my shorts twice.<br /><br />yea ... I'd say those #'s are right too.. lmao!<br /><br />Testosterone a drug??? ..in light of Estrogen compare it to asprin maybe.<br /><br />... last time I checked it pales in comparison to the physiological (heck just psychological) effects of Estrogen that fluctuate so intensely every 27 days (average)in a woman that has yet to reach 'men-pause' ... I'm not even going to touch on 'men-pause'.<br /><br />I know some guys that have extreme mood swings that may make them drive agressively, drink and drive etcetera....<br /><br /> but, these swings are usually related to and pin pointed to some womans Estrogen fluctuation ...<br /><br /> :p :D

SoulWinner

Commander

Bassy, I will agree with you, these young punks with the fat exhaust and loud sterios seem to have something to proove. They really tick me off with the way they drive. Of course Mrs Soulwinner is looking over my shoulder right now.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

I hear you guys, but not all women are bad drivers. I've driven 24 years with no problems except one lousy speeding accident(yep, I was driving 65 in a 55). I am the driver who is constantly watching out for that lunatic driver, be it male or female, so I'm not their next victim. I keep my eyes on the road and keep alert; no cell phones, no putting on makeup in the car, no distractions. So, don't be too quick to label. I'm not one of those women you're talking about, just like you're not one of those men this is talking about.

achris

Bassy,<br /><br />We didn't say that all women drivers were bad. We were responding to your suggestion that men were the worse drivers. The comments I see here seem to indicate that most people think that women are worse than men, generally. I know some women who are better than most men and some men I wouldn't trust on a pushbike. <br /><br />Many years ago my wife, who was a sales rep and on the road for 6-7 hours a day, commented that "if you needed to get into a line of traffic it would usually be a man who let you in". She also throught that young women were the worst drivers, generally.<br /><br />I think I speak for most of the posters here in saying that the comments are generally and not targetting any one person.<br /><br />Chris.........

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks Chris. I'm glad you confirmed that for me. Up here in the mountains its really not a case of female/male as its young people. Absolutely crazy and not paying attention to what they're doing. What do they teach in driver's training these days? How fast can you get from point A to point B? How many people can you pi$$ off between those two points? That's what I see. I count myself lucky every time I make it down or up the mountain. Thank God it hasn't been my time yet, because there have sure been plenty of chances.<br />My honest views are yes, I see men as being the more aggressive, but women the least attentive. Which is worse? Its a toss.<br />Bassy

Dunaruna

Admiral

I'm with you Bassy, my wifes is one of the best drivers around - she's constantly driving me nuts :D

achris

Orginally quoted by Aldo.
she's constantly driving me nuts
Well then, take the steering wheel out of your pants. :D <br /><br /><br />Originally quoted by Bassy.
What do they teach in driver's training these days?
They are taught how to pass the driver test! That's it, nothing more. Certainly not common sense, or how to drive skillfully.<br /><br />It's the same in SCUBA diving. I learnt 22 years ago and we were taught more about what to do when something (bad) happens than the actual diving. Sure we were taught that too, but the emphasis was on staying alive. My partner was 'taught' 3 years ago and I was appalled at the things she wasn't taught. Basic simple things like what not to pick up off the seabed. She wasn't even taught what to do if she got stung by something unpleasant. If wasn't her fault, just the way it is. When I took her trainers to task, do you know what they said? "If we told people how dangerous it is, then we wouldn't have as many people doing it." I was stunned!<br /><br />OK, rant over (for the moment).<br /><br />Chris............

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

There is no doubt that driving is a full time job of paying attention. Drop your guard down for just a second and that is when it happens. With my job I'm on the road alot and usually always in a hurry. I do drive aggresive, but I don't take chances. I have no need to ruin someone elses life because of my own ignorance.<br /><br />I was once in a crash that should have been fatal. I only figure that god pulled me out of it. That happened in the early 80's. Since then, I haven't had any violations. Its not the way I want to go.<br /><br />I do agree young teen females with their friends and phones is a menace to our own saftey. Last week a friend of mine lost his 16yr old daughter in a single car accident. She was upset coming from her boyfriends house. She was surpose to have been at soccer practice. SAD SAD SAD :(

gaugeguy

Captain

I've had 3 close calls in the last two months, the other drivers (2 male and 1 female) all looked to be about 240 years old, and could barely see over the steering wheel :mad: <br /><br /><br />The only thing that would have saved me if I did get in an accident with these people was they were travelling at the mind boggling speed of 10mph :mad: