Marine parts VS Automobile parts !

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: Marine parts VS Automobile parts !

TV Ads..Speeding kills...Speed limit signs posted, off ramps with idiot pics of cars flipping over on curved offramps..

Have you EVER seen a NO AUTO STARTERS or CARBS sign posted at the boat ramp/Marina?????????????

Many new to boating dont know, now they do..thats it and my last post on this thread....

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Stating statistics in this kind of thread in my mind is pretty useless when it comes to comparing road incidents to marine incidents. All you need to do is compare how many full time boaters there are compared to full time vehicle drivers. By full time I'm talking 30 minutes in a car (moving) a day to 8 hours on the water a week. The traffic on a lake is nothing compared to the traffic on a road. Take in to consideration that vehicle statistics also include pedestrian traffic/incidents (on the lake, VERY little [I'm thinkin' skiers]). In both cases avoiding dangerous situations are about equal and I would say require the same amount of effort. If you KNOW you have bad ball joints in your car and you drive around and because they fail you kill someone, that's negligent homicide. If you boat and KNOW you're using non-approved parts and kill the kid filling your tank once you start your motor, that's negligent homicide. Don't matter if you're American or Canadian, you will be charged in both cases. Also it's not innocent until proven guilty... it really is suspected guilty until proven innocent. Trust me.

Keep in mind as well, and this is the 'other hand'... just because the USCG has approved parts for use in a marine environment... if you can PROVE without a doubt that the parts you used in your rigging meet or exceed the stated requirements then at the end of the day it won't matter. If you're going to rig something up and have a line on a better material and you KNOW without a doubt it's better suited for the use... then why not use it? If you aren't sure, use what is minimal requirement. Reminds me of a show we have up here called Holmes on Homes. Minimal code is to make sure builders of houses at least adhere to that, but if you've done the research and know something is safer, stronger and exceeds minimal code... why not use it?

Now back to your regularly scheduled debate...

chiefalen

Captain

I have seen that show and it's great.

The guy has been doing construction for his whole life and does it right.

He calls in sub-contractors that know what they are doing,,, but get this, it's after another hack, no good, know nothing contractor, has ripped off the owner of the house, and made shambles of whatever job he is fixing.

Thats sorta what Bubba stated in his post isn't it ???

So a guy in his garage is gonna come up with a better part then OEM ??

So a certified part by the USCG, who's design that worked well for over thirty years, tried and tested, is garbage compared to a guy shunting together old parts to put on his boat.

But he saved 20 bucks ya'all.

Is this what people are trying to tell me ???

Ok last post to this thread for me, i did what i set out to do, it's like flogging a dead mule i can see that now.

Do what you want, say what you want. Like the commercial says it's your money do with it what you want to with it.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Some people will never get it, no matter what......
I'll add this: Better to err on the side of caution..... ;)

td8

Cadet

I would say most fire's or explosions are caused by lack of maintenance rather than auto parts.Rotted fuel lines flooding carbs electrical shorts are probably the main reasons for fires.I use auto parts on my boat and I have never had a problem with them.I just don't see giving double the price for a marine part were I can get the same quality part for half the price at the auto parts store.

ziggy

Admiral

Some people will never get it, no matter what......
proof positive...

I just don't see giving double the price for a marine part were I can get the same quality part for half the price at the auto parts store.
:eek:

mylesm260

Chief Petty Officer

Before you go off about how much I saved and what's better than what, let me explain my setup.

21' open bow, bought the boat with a 2bbl carbed odd fire 4.3 with a cracked block.

With the old motor, the boat would top out at 50 MPH, and go through about 60 liters of fuel during a hard day of boating.

I replaced the engine with an astro van 4.3. I made a custome wiring harness and am running the GM automotive poppit valve injection. I'm using a marine starter and a marine alternator. My fuel injection system is automotive.

My boat now tops out at 63 MPH and goes through about 40 litres of fuel in the same amount of boating. Oh ya, and my entire engine cost me 250 bucks from a wrecker.

I've built EFI systems in the past (megasquirts) so I know a thing or two about the electronics side of things. In terms of the actual fuel safety, those systems were used in hundreds of thousands of chevy vehicles for over 10 years! By design, it is much safer than a carb.

So my system saved me about 1600 bucks, made my boat 13 MPH faster and makes it more fuel efficient. My system is less likely to spill fuel, and because all my other electrical parts are marine, I have the same low risk of spark as any other boat.

While my setup may not be USCG aproved, I still deem it to be safe. am I an expert? no, but I do have a fundemenal understanding of how the system works, and the dangers of having fuel vaports locked in a sealed area with potential sparks.

By no means am I sitting here trying to justify saving 20 bucks on a starter.

What I am saying, is you guys are flapping your arms like your saving lives, and my ignorance is so dangerous.

Fact is, if your boating:

Not wearing your life jacket is 100's of times MORE dangerous than not having your engine up to USCG regulations. For those of you who didn't like my car compairison there's apples to apples. even if you correct for the fact that 90% of the boats out there DO meet regulations, it's still 100's of times more.

And I never wear my life jacket when I boat. So there ya go....

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I can't believe this thread is still going......It's almost as good as an oil thread...;)

While my setup may not be USCG approved, I still deem it to be safe. am I an expert? no, but I do have a fundamental understanding of how the system works, and the dangers of having fuel vapors locked in a sealed area with potential sparks.
You need only to satisfy yourself..... Remember, the USCG (FEDERAL REGS) only really apply to manufacturers. You can really do whatever you want. Some US states have more restrictive laws that boat cops can enforce if they look closely but in reality they're looking for flame arresters, blowers, fire extinguishers, approved lights and horns etc.

They're usually not crawling into your engine compartment with a mirror and a magnifying glass looking for a J1171 sticker on your starter!!

Lawyers usually do that if there's money in it!!:mad:
(there's usually money in it if someone dies and you have assets...):cool:

Regards,

Rick

mylesm260

Chief Petty Officer

You need only to satisfy yourself..... Remember, the USCG (FEDERAL REGS) only really apply to manufacturers. You can really do whatever you want. Some US states have more restrictive laws that boat cops can enforce if they look closely but in reality they're looking for flame arresters, blowers, fire extinguishers, approved lights and horns etc.

They're usually not crawling into your engine compartment with a mirror and a magnifying glass looking for a J1171 sticker on your starter!!
Rick

Amen.

Status
Not open for further replies.