Major fiberglass repair

Friscoboater

Captain
Re: Major fiberglass repair

Man that is alot of damage. If he has it insured, I would cal them and collect the total loss money.

HOOKED.UP

Seaman

From a boat builders perspective.
Yes the job is entirely within reason.
Remove the floor, stringers and transom timber. Whatever that may be.
There is water in there somewhere and you have to get it out.

Repair the hull, shell from the inside with polyester resin and csm.(including the bow damage), That is what the boat is built from, so epoxy is a waste of money, you cannot improve on 100% of the original structure.

Replace, transom, stringers, floor etc.

Then get to the outside.
Grind off gel coat to the original glass. Cloth and polyester the repair. Till you have faired the hull.

Fair the hull with the right fillers and sand for finish.

Then start painting.

In all of this, you might decide to build a new/different interior for the boat.

That is just a quick simple assessment of the job you have in front of you.

Your time is free, so work out the material costs and then decide if you want to do this job.

Some repairs are just not worth it.

Paul.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Opps sorry:D Putting steel on glass with rivets in my opinion is just not a good ideal. it might work but for how long. Where will you be when it fails? :D Im sorry I did not explain my earlier post I did not mean to offend anyone.:D See im smiling. All phuns aside I do not mean to offend and I hope if I did you will accept my apology.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

why not bend some metal over the entire crack and overlap it about 6 inchs on each side/Then apply a good layer of all weather adhesive to the metal and the boat and hold it in place with plenty of marine pop rivets....The metal would give it extra strength for the next hard landing too.. Sounds like a cheap fix to me .

Not an option with boats..

Keep to the Inside out reps allready stated..

YD.

Opps sorry:D Putting steel on glass with rivets in my opinion is just not a good ideal. it might work but for how long. Where will you be when it fails? :D Im sorry I did not explain my earlier post I did not mean to offend anyone.:D See im smiling. All phuns aside I do not mean to offend and I hope if I did you will accept my apology.
Shade No offense taken. I thought I would just throw out a 'jackleg" solution to see what kind of response I got. I know the OP is being told the only correct way to fix it by others. For one thing the rivets when put into the fiberglass would for sure start to wobble and the dang thing would peel off leaving the only option of putting on the life preservers and abandoning ship.

HOOKED.UP

Seaman

Guys.

Can we get back to helping the original problem and advise a workable solution.

That is why we are here. ?

Paul.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

The answer has already been said by oops. I've done plenty of restores but never repaired a totally split hull like that. I have say as mentioned above is the hull worth a repair this major?