Mach 1 (by Freedom Boats)

Status
Not open for further replies.

degree

Seaman
Hello, all ! I know it's been awhile, but I've been very busy. I have researched the Mach 1 line of boats since some of you have asked about them. Here is what I've found out:

Bill Felt was an officer of Glastex Co. (boats). He apparently started Mach 1 Boats as part of Felt Industries. Felt Ind. was bought out in March of 1991 by Freedom Boats, who then produced Mach 1 Boats by Freedom Boats. After this, things get a bit sketchy, but Kyte River Boat Co. bought the molds from Freedom Boats in 1998. One of the molds (for the MV2200 Playmate) was sold to Luxor Marine in 2003.

In 1991, Bill Felt-along with his wife Genevieve, Derick Espeut, naval architect, and Mr. Chick Powell, also of Mach 1 Boats-started Envision Boats. Bill passed away in 1997.

OK. With the little bit of history I have been able to dig up out of the way, I'd like to mention that my MV2700 Concorde weighs in at about 4,750 pounds dry, measures 26.58 feet in length and has a 96 inch beam. Since mine is a 1987 model, it came with Alphas on the back behind twin 330 HP Mercruisers. My particular boat also has radar, GPS with chartplotter, microwave and fridge. I've posted pictures elsewhere in iboats.

I'm still trying to find a list of suppliers to Mach 1 Boats since I need a frame for one of my port-o-lites and I cannot find a supplier. If anyone has this information, I would be most grateful to learn of it.

Degree
1987 Mach 1 MV2700 Concorde

degree

Seaman
Re: Mach 1 (by Freedom Boats)

Just thought I'd add a picture of the boat on the water (needless to say, the hat didn't last beyond the first time I hit the throttles !!!!!).

Attachments

• Copy of Jun30_0002.jpg.jpg
    Copy of Jun30_0002.jpg.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 4

Degree,
Wow, its great to find someone who knows something about the Mach 1 boat line. I bought a 1991 18' GT Spitfire and have had the greatest time restoring it. Man is it a cool looking boat. Freedom had their act together when they designed their boats. If you know anyone who has info on this model, please drop me a line.

degree

Seaman

Well, I've been in (e-mail) contact with Bill Felt's nephew. He has offered to help and I have tossed a couple of questions his way. When I hear from him, I'll gladly share the information.

I will also point him this way so that he might jump in and share things directly with all of us "Mach-Heads" !

I am currently looking into starting a website dedicated to these boats. My son is a senior website builder for a high-tech company and he is looking into the best way for me to get it going. If and when I get it started, you'll then have a place to post pics of your boat and as much information about it as you wish. Then others, who own the same model, will have a chance to 'chime in'. More as things develop.

Should you wish to see my boat, look in the non-engine related forum under "owner's manual".

I have a best friend who bought a 26 foot Mach 1 last summer and I and doing some looking for him as to the manufacturer history. I have heard the the Mach 1 was a Chris Craft copy and that they (in some circit) raced and beat the Chris Craft and then were suied and defunct as a result .Supposedly some time in the late 1980's

degree

Seaman

Sorry. Not according to the nephew of Mach 1's original owner. the boat was designed from scratch. They weren't sued either. The owner's wife wanted them to retire, so the line was sold to Freedom Boats (hence the name sometimes used--Mach 1 Boats by Freedom Boats). About six or seven months after he sold the line, he realized retirement just wasn't in his blood and Envision Boats was born.

That is a much better ending to the story. I live in Canton only a stones throw away from Monmouth IL and I really like the Mach 1 as well. My Buddy has a 89 model with a very early version of the 454 Bravo 1 package. It is fairly fast for as big as it is. Its a Concorde.

degree

Seaman

Yes, those Concordes ARE fast! I have an '87 with twin 330 hp Mercruisers. However, since mine is an '87, I am lucky (?) to have only Alphas :-( You can see pics of it by looking under general topics (not engine related), and enter owner's manual in the search box.

My friend has had two Mach 1's in the past as well. One of witch (27') was rumored to have belong to one of the Felt family at one time . It was a twin OMC 460 Ford boat. It supposidly had previeusly had a pair of killer SBC in it in earlier days. It was also a 1988. Before that he had a 84ish 23 footer with a 429 ford and a king cobra I think . Some of these rumors I speak of come from a man whom had dealings with Bill Felt and sold Mach 1's in East Peoria IL . His name is Bill Dohl with Proformance Marine . I gather that a number of hulls had cosmetic defects and were sold to Dohl and finished sorta as a reclaim project and then sold. I saw one infact last summer outside Sulivan IL and it had the strangest graph like marks under the surface of the paint/gelcoat. My friend told me that that may have been one of the reclaimed hulls .

Mach 1 2350

Cadet

I own a 1988 2350 condor and have to say it is a great boat. Mine has the 454 Mag (modified) and bravo one combo, and moves really well for the weight of the boat. I feel these are one of the most overlooked boats of this style and would put it against formulas of the same year any day. Glad to see that there are other owners on this site, they are very hard to find info on.

degree

Seaman

I own a 1988 2350 condor and have to say it is a great boat. Mine has the 454 Mag (modified) and bravo one combo, and moves really well for the weight of the boat. I feel these are one of the most overlooked boats of this style and would put it against formulas of the same year any day. Glad to see that there are other owners on this site, they are very hard to find info on.
Right. Like I said earlier, I'm researching the line and will have some interesting tidbits later on. Bill Felt's nephew has indicated a willingness to help and gave me quite an insight into the chronology of this line of boats. His bropther also indicated that I might be able to get copies of some old literature (!)...

My brother is currently looking at a earlier 80's 23 foot condor that now has a 460 (loked up) in it and a OMC drive. The dude said it had a 350 chevy in it new . What version of the OMC do you think it would have ?

degree

Seaman

My brother is currently looking at a earlier 80's 23 foot condor that now has a 460 (loked up) in it and a OMC drive. The dude said it had a 350 chevy in it new . What version of the OMC do you think it would have ?
I'd look in on the Volvo, Mercruiser, OMC I/O forum for that one. I'm not familiar enough with them to be of any help beyond redirecting you...

Come to find out it has a King Cobra ,witch is rumored to be nearly as stout as a brovo drive. Any more word from the Felt Nephew?

degree

Seaman

I met him and his brother at the Chicago Boat Show two weeks ago. I got an ear full of history about the line and he promised to forward more on it in a couple of months (they are very busy right now with the boat show circuit). His brother also mentioned that they have some old literature and would make copies available to me.

Both of them also offered to steer me in the right direction for help or repairs, which may provide a location for a port-o-lite frame to replace my broken one.

As soon as I hear any more, I'll post it right away.

Well my brother bought that MV2350 and we pulled the motor out (460)and It may very well be salvageable. It is an 84 and so it could not have come new with the Kig cobra package that it has as they wer not offered until 1986. It needs some work but is a diamond in the rough I believe. It has port windows made by a comany named Edwards in Tampa FL ,Still had a sticker on one of them. They are a little diffrent than the later model windows but could be same manufacturer . I have bought some parts for my Chris Craft for a place on line called chrisparts.com .They have the replacement windows for mine ,I think they might be the same.

BEAUTIFUL ! Boat

BEAUTIFUL ! Boat

My brothers and Dad spent all weekend cleaning sanding and buffing on that boat and it looks fabulous! White on top and bottom Black in the center. The 460 Fired right up and ran like a watch. Still not sure what is up with the outdrive change over. It has had some glass and paint work done on the transom but We could not determine why . We removed the gimble plate to inspect and reseal it. It must have come new with a alpha I guess. Changed over to a King cobra setup later. I hear the Bill Dahl The guy I made referance to before ,a few years back got hold of many OMC reverse rotation 460 Ford engines that were new but left over type engines (I'm sure very cheap) and converted them to normal rotation (diffrent distributor,oil pump and camshaft) . I wander if this boat may be one that he repowered. So far every Mach 1 from this area I have heard about has some tie to Bill Dahl at performance boats in East Peoria. That boat needs a little floor work and a rear couch and engine cover ,but is a real beauty!

We repaired the foor in my brothers Mach 1 and found that the underfloor structure is far diffrent from my Chris Craft. The Chris Craft has 2 long boards fastened to the hull and plywood connected to them in a pupendicular fashion as to form a grid under the floor. The Mach 1 has 4 long boards from to back and them is filled full of foam under the flooring. We pulled it all off and the sub structure was all good so we glued and screwd new 3/4 treated plywood in and will coat the entire floor with fiberglass cloth and resin next. Any word from the nephew ?

degree

Seaman

Nothing new, Jared. He's busy with the boat show circuit and asked that I give him some time. I'll be getting in touch with him sometime this month as I want to change my throttle quadrant to something a bit more ergonomic (I keep hitting the trim switches when I use the throttles as they are in the top of the throttle knobs). I'll certainly pass on anything I learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.