Oil Selection

AUGIDAWG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Oil Selection

Can you mix the 2 OMC oils together?<br />I would think so because the Ram is a semi-synthetic.

AUGIDAWG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just called my local shop, and they said it is ok to mix the old TC-W3 oil and the FICHT Ram oil together. He said to just top off the tank with the new stuff and eventually the old stuff would be gone.<br /><br />They sell the new stuff for $12.50 per gallon.

Mike Langianese

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can I assume that the Ficht oil is compatible with other TC-W3 oils? <br /><br />Recently bought boat with twin 1992-150 hp Evinrude loopers and don’t have any idea what is in the tanks. Want the engines to last as long as possible and if spending a little more on the oil will do it I’m willing. <br /><br />Saw some full synthetic TC-W3 oil on sale for $9/gallon and the semi-synthetic for $6/gallon.<br /><br />Mike

walleyehed

Admiral

Mike, to be sure of what you have, I would dump the oil tank and clean it out-spotless type clean, and start from there.<br /> This could be the best thing you could do to insure proper operation.<br />#2, any TC-W3 oil is "supposed" to be OK for your engine if it requires TC-W3 oil, HOWEVER, I can tell you from my own testing, they are NOT all created equally.<br />I know it costs more, but at a minumum, I would "recommend" J/E XD-25, as the best all-around choice for a J/E product requiring TC-W3 oil......... :)

walleyehed

Admiral

AUGIDAWG, you say "the new stuff"....are you referring to Ficht Ram oil????? If so, I'd like a phone number. Thats less than half of what I paid for a gal of Ficht Ram here....... :eek:

AUGIDAWG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The place sells FICHT Ram oil in bulk for $12.50 per gallon.<br /><br />"Boatmasters 2", in Dublin California, 925-828-5775<br /><br />They are great guys. No bull like the other Johnson shop near by.

Mike Langianese

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Augidawg must have been responding at the same time I was writing my post.<br />I have found all the responses informative, thanks.<br /><br />Mike

walleyehed

Admiral

AUGIDAWG, Thanks! I can pay shipping on the oil and still be under what I'm paying now by quite a bit............. :)

chuckybaby

Seaman Apprentice

Dhadley, anything to add on this ? What are the <br />advantages/disadvantages of using the XD25 in<br />carburated engines ?

walleyehed

Admiral

There is no disadvantage to XD-25 in carburated engines........thats what it's made for. It can be used in VRO or premix. <br />XD-25 is just one step above the standard oil, as it contains a percentage of synthetics, though very low compared to Ficht Ram........<br />The advantage (to me) would be reduced wear over standard oils, with a bit less smoke..... :)

DeanL

Cadet

I've been just lurking until now, but I have to agree with Rick. Walleyehed, you've stated in previous posts that you would not use an oil that was not TCW3 certified, now you seem to be defending the use of FICHT RAM even though it is not TCW3 certified. Is that just because it has J/E name on it? J/E does not make that oil, so would it be OK to use other branded oil by the manufacturer that does?<br /><br />Dean

walleyehed

Admiral

The reason I would trust the Ficht Ram, is because They (J/E) have "designed" this oil (or additives) to meet J/E specs, stating it can be used for injection OR 50:1 premix, and I don't believe in just "any" TC-W3, as they are not created equal.

ledgefinder

Ensign

The RAM oil is supposed to have some additional carbon fighting compound that OMC is pretty enthusiastic about. It's $16/gal out of the drum from the local guy around here. I've been running it in everything, so glad to hear good reports. BTW, I de-carbed a old 115 crossflow (for the 1st time) after running ~120 gallons of RAM premix through it & it still improved significantly. So, if RAM is better at carbon control, it still doesn't clean up old engines all that fast.