Look what I did! (Ok a little bragging)

crab bait

Captain
Re: Look what I did! (Ok a little bragging)

very nice attractive addition to a boring 'back of house'.. really livens it up..!!<br /><br />shame what's gonna happen to it.. twist, wrap, shrink, an crack.. <br /><br />don't be to upset .. it happens with that junk .. ( pressure treat )

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Nice job SN, there is something money can't buy with a well executed DIY project. The sense of pride, accomplishment and added satisfaction, of a job well done. Plus IMO putting a bit of yourself into your house makes it more of a home.

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

What's up crab bait? Did somebody pee in your corn flakes??

LadyFish

Admiral

Great job SN. :) <br /><br />Its a good thing you saved a bunch doing it yourself, the wife is going to need the extra bucks for all that nice outdoor furniture and plants. :p

one more cast

Captain

Nice work but one little piece of advice.....You better extend that downspout before you flood out your new deck. ;)

Cranky18

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Steve, What kind of footing did you put under the bottom of the stair? I built an octagonal deck and I was going to put stairs on either side but I was thinking of putting 4x4 posts at the bottom but I kind of like your configuration better. Nice job!

eeboater

Commander

Awesome job!! Now THATS a first timer project!!!

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Hey cranky, no footing in the ground, just a 2X6 across the entire bottom to keep it from sinking. <br /><br />OMC, yeah I just need to get a couple elbows and I'll be fine. The downspout originally went sstraight down to the ground, I'm going to wrap it around the corner and then down. <br /><br />Crab, We had a deck at my parent's house growing up, it's 20 years old now and we don't live there any more, but with a water treatment every couple years it still looks great and hasn't fallen apart or warped, cracked, etc. <br /><br />LF, yeah the wife is already on me for a table and chair set, awning, lattice, and she wants to build a flowerbed around the entire thing. Never ends. :)

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Inspector just came and left, all done now. He actually said he was impressed with it, it was built stronger (especially railings and stairs he said) than some pro jobs he inspects. Icing on the cake for me right there. :) BarBQ tonight!!!!

Ralph 123

Captain

Nice Job Steve. You should be proud! It looks fantastic! I love doing that stuff (frustrated carpenter don't you know ;) )

aspeck

Staff member

BBQ at Steve's tonight! I'll bring dessert.

aspeck

Staff member

Opps, Wife just told me I am not allowed in NJ till Friday. Sorry, won't be there with dessert - don't count on me tonight! :D

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Well done Steve, now for a finishing touch you could put a second story deck/patio cover over the deck you just built. Chief ;)

Ron G

Commander

great job steve,nothing wrong with a little bragin on a well done job,the misses knowes you can do it ,so itll never end happy bbQing.your right what 2 to 3 monthes use a good watersealer and it should last for many years and if you get tired of the natural color use a solid color stain and your set for many more years

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

The real question is: Is it rated for a hot tub? That way ya can enjoy your handy work year round!

QC

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Reel Poor:<br /> Also want to compliment you on your boat and tow vehicle. Nice pics.<br /> :D
RP, I can't believe you didn't get any credit for that. Seriously LOL. I was going back and forth over the pix until I spotted it. Puuuuurrrrrfect. :D :D <br /><br />Edit: I'm still laughing . . .

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Reel Poor, I just got that as well! Sorry I'm a little slow today! That is pretty funny!<br /><br />I thought you actually saw a pic of my real boat and truck somewhere else on the board. I'll tell Amber (my 2yr old) about the compliment, it's her rig! :) <br /><br />Hey Cheif, I already considered that, a second story 12X12 off the bedroom would also serve as shade/shelter so I wouldn't have to buy an awning. No this year though! And don't give the wife any more ideas she's got enough already!<br /><br />Thanks again everyone!

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

I'll tell Amber (my 2yr old) about the compliment, it's her rig!
Two years old with a rig like that. Im courious to know what will the upgrade (graduation present)will look like?<br /><br />Maybe we could get a sneek preview.<br /><br />LOL :D :D