Liberals against Christianity???

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Liberals against Christianity???

Originally posted by ErikDC:<br /> Forgive me if this question has been asked before but what part of the Ten Commandments does anyone here disagree with?
That's besides the point Erik. Where have you been? Don't you know that it is just all about CHOICE???? :mad: :rolleyes: :p

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

Erik, you're not going to bait me into a trap. You know fully well that the issue is not the message, but rather the source.

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Keeps slipping my mind, Boom, what was I thinking? :p Wilkin, I wasn't trying to bait anyone into anything, forget I even asked the question.

D

DJ

Wilkin, et al,<br /><br />Sorry to offend. Approach your destiny in your own matter. You're the expert on all matters of spirit and soul, according to yourself.<br /><br />"Change" is NOT always good.<br /><br />Enjoy!

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

DJ, never have I claimed to be an expert.<br /><br />You are correct, change is not always good. However, it IS inevitable.

agitator

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Morality and right and wrong were here a long time before Religion came along. Different religions advocate different things, some very different from the others. We seem to generally agree that the Ten Commandments provide a moral compass to live by. That having been said, why should they be tacked up all over public places that people of other beliefs help pay for with their taxes and don't have it as a part of their religious beliefs? Are Christians so insecure that they must seek to ram their religion down peoples throats through public means at every unsolicited opportunity?

KRS

Banned

Originally posted by agitator:<br /> Morality and right and wrong were here a long time before Religion came along....
Genesis 4:26 ... then began men to call upon the name of the Lord.<br /><br />Religion... or having faith in the divine creator of the earth, heavens, and all that it contains was here in the beginning. Men pray to seek counsel, give thanks, and ask for blessings to the Lord, and they hope to receive their answers. This requires faith, and faith is predicated upon belief, and belief is religion.<br /><br />The ten commandments aren't a moral compass, it is THE law.<br /><br />As for ramming it down their throats???? Since when did a statue or a piece of art jump up and pound itself down you throat?<br /><br />Stop overreacting to everything and let's keep this as intelligent as possible... for an iboats forum :D

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by ErikDC:<br /> Forgive me if this question has been asked before but what part of the Ten Commandments does anyone here disagree with?
Originally posted by ErikDC:<br /> Keeps slipping my mind, Boom, what was I thinking? :p Wilkin, I wasn't trying to bait anyone into anything, forget I even asked the question.
that's ok, ErikDC, if you don't mind I'll try to give you an answer:<br /><br />there are quite a few here who disagree with "Thou shalt not kill"<br /><br />[edit: sorry should have been more specific--I'm referring to everyone who supports war]

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by agitator:<br />Are Christians so insecure that they must seek to ram their religion down peoples throats through public means at every unsolicited opportunity?
Aside from the fact that the rest of your statement is hogwash......are non-Christians so insecure that they are offended by a set of moral rules that have been a part of and have guided this country since it's beginning???? :rolleyes:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by wilkin250r:<br /> Erik, you're not going to bait me into a trap. You know fully well that the issue is not the message, but rather the source.
This is also one of the stupidest statements that I've heard in some time. So the truth is not necessarily the truth, Wilkin? If the truth is offered by someone you dislike, it is invalid? Give me a break!!

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by azfyrfyter63:<br />
Originally posted by agitator:<br /> Morality and right and wrong were here a long time before Religion came along....
Genesis 4:26 ... then began men to call upon the name of the Lord.<br /><br />Religion... or having faith in the divine creator of the earth, heavens, and all that it contains was here in the beginning. Men pray to seek counsel, give thanks, and ask for blessings to the Lord, and they hope to receive their answers. This requires faith, and faith is predicated upon belief, and belief is religion.<br /><br />The ten commandments aren't a moral compass, it is THE law.<br /><br />As for ramming it down their throats???? Since when did a statue or a piece of art jump up and pound itself down you throat?<br /><br />Stop overreacting to everything and let's keep this as intelligent as possible... for an iboats forum :D
azfireman, I usually mostly agree in general with ya, but I have recently read the constitution (thanks to iboats), and I'm danged if I can find where it says "don't covet your neighbors a$$ or your neighbors wife..." or which amendment says "we will have one God only...." Also I'm no Old Testament expert, but I haven't found the Commandment about passing no laws in respect of religion or guaranteeing us a right to a trial by jury.

KRS

Banned

I believe the constitution outlined laws that the founding fathers felt were needed. Why repeat those things (ten commandments) when they were already given to us as laws from millenia ago?<br /><br />Every time a new law is made, must someone state all previously given laws to reaffirm them?

KRS

Banned

I too have recently read the constitution, thanks to Gunsite... and it was the first time I had read it in it's entirity. I should have done that long ago.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I know, you didn't mention the constitution, you just said it was the law, I was just being clever, sorry. <br /><br />"must someone state all previously given laws..." yes, because otherwise hardheads like me will believe we can legally covet our neigbor's wife's a55 without going to jail (not that I do covet my NWA, just saying I could legally do so).

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br /> ...So the truth is not necessarily the truth...
truthfully, Boomyal, truth is relative, not absolute. Example: in Jesus' day, you could have truthfully said "the Earth is flat. It is the center of the universe; the stars and planets revolve around it." Meaning that, they truly believed this was true. It was the state of the art science. After all, how do you know the Earth is round? You been on a shuttle mission and seen it from space? No, because somebody told you so and you believed 'em. So the truth is, the Earth is round. Truth changes all the time. Same with morality, it's a human convention. King David had a hareem full of concubines. Immoral? King David? He was appointed by God! you gotta be kidding me! Nope, it's true (at least, it's in the Bible and I believe it). And David's son Absalom raped 'em all on the roof of the house where everybody could see. (also in the bible, see 2nd Samuel 16:22).<br /><br />In the natural world, stuff just happens. It happens & it don't care whether you or I believe it or approve of it. Hurricane kills thousands...true? sure I believe it. And the hurricane she don't care what we think.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br />This is also one of the stupidest statements that I've heard in some time. So the truth is not necessarily the truth, Wilkin? If the truth is offered by someone you dislike, it is invalid? Give me a break!!
OH, come on, now. I have to believe you are just ranting on something you feel passionate about. You can't possibly believe what you just said.<br /><br />The Ten Commandments are a direct exerpt from the core religous documents of the Christian Faith. You can't deny this simple fact.<br /><br />You MUST realize, any rational person MUST realize, that speaking, writing, or exhibiting the Ten Commandments is not only portraying their moral compass, but also directly portraying their religious affiliation, i.e. the Christian Faith.<br /><br />Moral guidelines are fine. Religious affilation is not, ESPECIALLY for our judiciary system. They are, by nature, supposed to remain unbiased.<br /><br />If you want to put a generic description of moral guidelines in a courthouse, I'm fine with that. All men are created equal, life, liberty, due process, blah blah blah.<br /><br />I'm not fine with our Judiciary system exhibiting religious affiliation. ANY affiliation, whether it is my religion or not.<br /><br />No problem with the message, just a problem with the source.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

wilkin...don't want to detract from your point, but just to point out that the Ten Commandments are also featured in Judaism and (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) Islam.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

It don't take any kind of rocket science to follow this thread and observe how the unravelling of christianity is done by the hands of the very ones who call themselves christians.