LED strip install on '10 Q5i

JK Turtle

Cadet
Here's my install on some lights I got for Christmas. The are Philips and were in the Christmas section at target. They are the multicolored ones with a little remote.

20131227_071318_zpsc3cc2990.jpg

First I cut the transformer off. These run on 12 volts so I can wire then straight in. If you look under the steering wheel, you will see a coiled up bunched of wires. There should be a set of wires in there that are blue with a white strip (maybe its a yellow strip, I'll double check) and a black wire that has the male end of a weatherproof connection. It is wired straight to the courtesy light switch so*I just*cut off the connector and wired the blue/white wire to the red wire that comes out of the controller and black to black. You can see the coiled wires and the blue/white wire wired up to the red wire.

20140103_200659_zps71632aa5.jpg

I mounted the controller above the fuse block under the steering wheel. I had to move the fire extinguisher to mount the Subwoofer. You can see the controller at the top left of the Subwoofer.

20140103_221430_zpsd8b0ba69.jpg

Next I cut the strip in half so I would have lights on both sides. I bought some solderless connectors but they didn't fit so I decided to solder the rgb wires straight to the strip. You can watch how to do that here on you tube.

I ran the wires through the engine compartment, over the engine and to the other side. I zip tied these wires to the existing wiring harness. The strips that I have didn't have an adhesive backing so I used those zip tie mounts that have an adhesive backing. I used 5 on each side. Here are some pictures of the finished product. I have a street light in the drive way so the lights don't look as bright as they actually are. I'll get another picture once I go out night fishing soon.

20140103_211717_zps9b2f4a50.jpg

20140103_211714_zps9d19a00a.jpg

Last edited:

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: LED strip install on '10 Q5i

But these arent marine rated are they ?

Lol Great Job !!!

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer
Re: LED strip install on '10 Q5i

Looks great! I have wanted to get the PlasmaGlow lights for under the swim deck of my boat...just never purchased them.