Least Fishy Fish

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade
One of the things I like to eat most for dinner is fish. My Fiance, on the other hand, hates anything to do with fish. Even looking at them turns her nose up.<br /><br />The other day, she said that she wants to try fish again because it's so healthy to eat. <br /><br />I've tried in the past to cook her fish with a lot of seasoning so she wouldn't taste fish - I blacked salmon on the grill and put a tomato/corn/onion salsa on top - she still didn't like it.<br /><br />What do you think is the least fishy smelling/tasting fish and how would you make it so it tastes more like chicken? :)

heyttown

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Least Fishy Fish

I like yellow lake perch myself....I think its less Fishy then alot....Also, try shark....Shark to me taste just like steak...Very good, but pricey.

ob

Admiral

fresh bluefin tuna if you can get it.If she don't like then send it to me. :) Just don't overcook.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

LOL at Aldo. Chicken of the Sea then??<br /><br />I think Halibut has the least "fishy" taste.<br /><br />I do like however, Silver Salmon (Coho) [not Pink Salmon!!!! This is what you usually find in the store] Skin the filet, place on a layer of sauteed onions with a layer of Apple Butter spread on top of the filet. Bake in the oven for 30 min at 350F. I think. I will check with the wife to verify temp and time when she gets home.<br />Silver Salmon are drier than the other salmon and the onion/apple butter gives it a sweet and sour type taste. Very Yummy.<br /><br />AK Chappy

D

DJ

Least smelly-Walleye/Perch.<br /><br />Just a hint, any fish that smells "fishy" is well into the spoiling process.

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

In San Franwako, Sushi seems to be a favorite, or is it "Heshi"??? :rolleyes: <br /><br />...Bob in Calif... :

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

Crappi......That's my wife's favorite and she's not a fish person!

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Crappie, walleye, sauger, bluegill, even channel cat. FRESH only. Bluegill's prob. the best but fillets are tiny.

D

DJ

Just another $.02 worth.<br /><br />Skin off/skin on, makes a difference. Scaled or not scaled, also. The "smell" actually is part of the "slime" that all fish have. Of course, the slime is part of the skin/scale scenario.<br /><br />If the actual "meat" smells fishy, then I would shy away. It's spoiling.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Fresh and fileted (no skin or bones) do make a difference.<br /><br />Channel cat have a different texture than scaled fish. Taste different, too.<br /><br />Try the salmon broiled or steamed with hollandaise sauce. Remove the skin before cooking.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

D

DJ

JB is correct, as always. <br /><br />Keep in mind that different fish have different "smells".<br /><br />If you are having trouble introducing fish to someone, I would suggest an "Orange Roughy" purchased at a good grocery store. They're usually fresh and are devoid of the fishy smell. Don't be afraid to "pop" open the package and have a wiff.<br /><br />By the way, soaking the fish in beer will also remove most, if not all, the smell.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

You need to add an acid to remove the "amines". Amines are what gives the fishy smell. Try adding lemon juice or vinegar. Beer is acidic too.<br /><br />I also hate that fishy taste. I dont care how fresh it is, sometimes it is there.<br /><br />Ken

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Dorado, mahi-mahi, dolphin.. Whatever ya call it in yer neck of the woods, if you can get hold of it, try it... My ol' Pop can grill it like nobodys bizness... I dunno what he does to it, but in a blind taste test you'd swear it was steak... Also good fried, broiled, or? ..<br /><br />Many of the members of the snapper family are good for the frying pan and the broiler, but not so great on the grill (tends to fall apart).. Grouper's another good for frying (great.. now i got a taste for grouper fingers :D ).. Triggerfish is yet another..<br /><br />Like anything, fresh is the key..

D

DJ

Agree with Ken and Snapper. Many of the Pacific fish tend to be less "smelly". <br /><br />With that said, if you do the grill thing, get a basket or pan with plenty of holes in it

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Walleye, fillets, skin off. Near perfect.<br /><br />Want to lose all reference to fish? Take the fillet, wash well in water, place in a dish with lemon juice and water for an hour or two. Then rinse them in water.<br /><br />Then pan fry or broil with your favorite seasonings. I usually use just plain old salf and pepper. Don't overcook them.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by KenImpZoom:<br /> You need to add an acid to remove the "amines". Amines are what gives the fishy smell. Try adding lemon juice or vinegar. Beer is acidic too.<br /><br />I also hate that fishy taste. I dont care how fresh it is, sometimes it is there.<br /><br />Ken
I like the fishy smell. It brings back memories as I cook it.<br />It's "amine",..All mine.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

To me Talapia (sp?) is almost tastless...like eating nothing...yuck. My faves are fried flounder, snapper, dolphin(blackened)and catfish.