Least Fishy Fish

Fly Rod

Commander
Re: Least Fishy Fish

:) If you gave her farmed raised salmon, then I could understand why she would hate fish!!! King Salmon will cost you 2-3 bucks more per lb. ,but well worth it, most times comes flash frozen, and shipped same day!!!<br /><br />2nd: Like DJ says fresh fish does not smell, stay away from them super markets if ya can!!!!<br /><br />3rd: Go to a fresh fish dealer and get yourself a nice piece of fresh "SALT WATER" fish, preferbaly from the Virgina area!!!!<br />If not from your area you can try fillet of Halibut; Haddock; Cod; Flounder,the flesh is white, "NOT" yellow!!! salt & pepper and broil about 8-10 minutes <br /><br />4th: If she is in her child bearing years, stay away from them striped bass(rock fish)!!!! ;) :cool:

KaGee

Admiral

Brother Finn, <br /><br />It's my personal observation that most people who have it in their mind that they don't like fish are hard to convert. <br /><br />You have two strikes against you because your fish hater is a woman. We all know that you cannot change a womans mind. :p

Homerr

Commander

I thought fresh tuna didn't taste like fish at all... More like REALLY good chicken.<br /><br />We took ours and barbecued it with Teriyaki sauce...<br /><br />MMMMMM GOOOOODDD!!!<br /><br />If you try the tuna, make sure it's very fresh like same day caught etc... Maybe it was just me, but it seemed like the older the tuna meat got, the more 'fishy' it started to taste.<br /><br /><br />H.

gaugeguy

Captain

I think burbot(cusk, fresh water cod) is about the best tasting freshwater fish around. Never had one taste fishy. As far as salt water fish, I am partial to striper, haddock, tuna and swordfish.

oddjob

Commander

How about some tofu and some nice steamed vegie's.<br /><br />Or if she really must....serve her a nice filet of spamfish. <br /><br />Ok..this is no joke...tipula(sp) is a white fish....I buy fillets and fry them with old bay seasoning and lots of cayenne pepper mixed w/ the corn meal... douse the fillets with regular mustard instead of milk or egg, drop in the corn meal and fry. I cut the fillets into smaller pieces ahead of time. My fish hating kids love it. They think its daddy's own chicken tenders....and its easier not to correct them..BTW I got this idea with the mustard here on Iboats from someone in LA. <br />.......never any left over.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Hey oddjob!!!<br />How about "hog" fish??!! That's a white flesh fish!!!<br />The waiter at the restaurant while in the keys suggested it and if I didn't like it wouldn't have to pay!!!!<br />It was very good!!!! but I do't think that you would find it in Virgina!!!!<br />They sell that tipula up here in the fish market!!! ;) :cool:

KennyKenCan

Commander

It is my opinion that the fish that tastes most like chicken, Is the North Atlantic Puffer Fish (Tetraodontidae), commonly called "BlowFish".<br /><br />Not only does it taste like chicken, but it even looks like a drumstick!<br /><br />SeaRobbins (Triglidae-Prionotus) taste like chicken too, just that they be so ugly, its hard to eat one! Oh, by the way, they bark too!

rogerwa

Commander

Shark and Swordfish. Very easy to eat. The texture, taste and smell is not very fishy. Almost like a softer pork chop..

grandx

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lot's of responses, can't believe no one has mentioned "Fresh". This is the most important aspect when concering fish smell. If it smells like "fish" it's not fresh, catch/clean/cook the same day is the best, if you can't catch em then buy only fresh, not frozen or previously frozen that's not fresh. Even when you find fish advertized as fresh, smell it, if it stinks it's not that that fresh. Fish oils don't freeze well and continue to degrade while frozen, the more fish oil the quicker the degradation.<br /><br />Now to fine tune it, the white fleshed fish generally has less oils and will generally smell less and keep longer than oily fish (Tuna, Salmon, Mackeral are all relatively oily) Bass, snapper, crappie, wahoo, dorado have less oils.<br /><br />To help her cross over, start with fresh fried fish, even then, consider dredging in mustard before breading.. Serve with lemon to hide even the faintest fish smell, even better try a lemon/garlic/butter sauce. If you fry in peanut/canola/olive oil it's very healthy.<br /><br />My wife was the same way, previously ate fish that smelled and she was not a fan. She's had plenty of fresh fish since we've been married and now favors Wahoo, Halibut, snapper, dorado (maui-maui), crappie, sea trout, walleye, .... The list goes on and on.

grandx

Petty Officer 1st Class

You're right oddjob, poorly worded on my part, what I meant to say was "stress" the Freshness variable. Tried to edit and couldn't. The flesh deteorates rather quickly, thus the strong smell and taste have more to do with age and how well it was preserved than the species itself.

dolluper

Captain

Nice fresh out of the lake Rainbow Trout with egg alittle flour and pepper, onion ,garlic with potatos sliced thinly ina pan slightly coated with olive oil over a fire Just Heaven or second choice CO Ho Salmon FRESH the same way except have to have lemon or a fish that's almost like chicken White fish[tonnes Lake Superor]

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Here is an excelent fish recipe that doesn't have a strong fish taste.<br />3 lbs Halibut (I substitute pollok or any other white fish)<br />butter<br />salt<br />pepper<br />1/2 cup parmesan cheese<br />4 strips of bacon<br />1 tsp lemon juice<br />1 cup sour cream<br />1/3 cup buttered bread crumbs<br />chopped parsley<br />rub Halibut with butter, salt and pepper. Lay Bacon on bottom of baking pan and place filets on top. Make a mixture of sour cream, cheese, crumbs and lemon juice, spread over fish.Bake at 350F until golden brown and tender. Serve sprinkled with grated cheese and parsley.<br /><br />I usually double up on the cheese, sour cream, lemon juice, and crumbs, and bacon strips.<br />This takes the fish taste out better, depends on your taste.<br />After baking I usualy broil for a few minutes just to put a brown crust on top.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Reading over these replies I notice that most of the fish ideas have a bunch of garnishes!!!<br />Do you taste the fish or only the garnish???!!!! ;) :cool:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

How about those small Gummi Fish. All sugar, syrup, chewy and no fish smell.<br /><br />Bob

Link

Rear Admiral

This is Easy <br />Big Fish eat Little Fish..therefore ALL Fish are Bait and Homeboy don't eat his Bait! :D <br />I'm on her side!<br /><br />I've only had fish 5 times in the past 20+ years<br />4 of them were caught and cooked within hours... no fishy smell or fishy taste.. just good flavor<br />For a fish that is ;) <br />The last time was Tilapia which I had to buy, two of the three filets were great, the third smelled and tasted so bad I almost threw up.<br />fresh Fresh FRESH comes to mind!<br />Thats my .02 from a Non Fish eating fool!

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for the ideas, everyone - as always, this is really good info. <br /><br />I didn't know that cooking without the skin makes a difference. I always buy (or when I can, catch) fresh but I always cook the filets with the skin on. I'm a big griller and it's easier to grill with the skin on, but I've got a good basket so I'll give it a shot with no skin.<br /><br />Also, cooking it with something with acid sounds like a good idea. I don't particularly like lemon on my fish, but I partucularly do like everything with beer, so I'll give that a shot too. :) <br /><br />We went to a company dinner a while back and they had Salmon which was covered in hollandaise/tarter sauce (tarter sauce on salmon?!?!) which was really good and she did like that better than the chicken that was serverd with it! <br /><br />I'm cookin' dinner Saturday night, so I'll post back and give ya'll an update.<br /><br />Thanks again!

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My wife won't touch seafood of anykind except for Talapia. She says it doesn't smell or taste fishy. Go figure.