Leak in Hull (found). Would like guidance to repair

Procraft Bob

Cadet
1989 ProCraft, 17.5' Fish and Ski, 115 Merc. outboard. Finally found my leak, and unfortunately it's in the hull, (See pictures) near where the rib rests on the trailer pad, left side. Must have hit something in water or just years of on and off of trailer. Questions before I make a big mistake:
  1. If I use a padded 2x6x12" (approx.) piece of lumber to distribute some weight on top of the jack, can I (floor) jack the boat off of the trailer pad/rail (slightly) to access the crack better for inspection/repair? Or will I push a hole in the good part of the lower hull. Concerned about all of the weight of the boat and engine, I'm concerned and would like an opinion before I attempt?
  2. It is possible that I could put the rig back in the water and pull on trailer but leave it around 6" further back on the trailer pads so that I can expose (hopefully) the whole area in need of repair.
  3. If I find the crack is not too large is it possible to take on the repair myself with further guidance from you wonderful guys? (Not concerned about cosmetics after repair; it's a 1989 fisher that I'll probably own until I die.)
  4. Just started leaking this year, so I don't think my transom is rotten/ed. (Fingers crossed)
  5. Or should I consider taking it to a Pro?
Appreciate the help.

Attachments

• boat back.jpg
    boat back.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 32
  • boat crack 1.jpg
    boat crack 1.jpg
    427.6 KB · Views: 31
  • P1030829.JPG
    P1030829.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 32

matt167

Rear Admiral
Given the age of the boat. The failure is likely due to structural wood rot

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Yes, you can do it yourself

Most likely your transom is also rotten

See the 4th sticky down in the forum. See links 14, 15, 18, 2, 3, 4a, and 4b. That will guide you thru the restoration

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I would do a complete inspection of the transom / stringers.----Not easy I know.-----But if you fix that damage from the outside more problems a foot away might show up next month ??

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yup rotted and found it's way to the drain plug. Which means all wood is rotted for along time.
New deck and substrates.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I would agree with the others... looks like the structure rotted and then caused the crack when the fiberglass by itself couldn't support the weight of the boat on the bunk. I don't think you can accurately assess what's going on without getting access to it from the inside of the boat.

Do you have any access panels, lockers, etc. that let you see below deck? You'll need to somehow get access to the stringers and transom core so you can drill test bores.

Sorry, this is surely not what you wanted to hear...

airshot

Rear Admiral
Perhaps time for a new, newer boat ?? A complete restoration is not gonna be cheap and an awfull lot of work if you do it yourself. Sorry for your loss.

Procraft Bob

Cadet
Yes, you can do it yourself

Most likely your transom is also rotten

See the 4th sticky down in the forum. See links 14, 15, 18, 2, 3, 4a, and 4b. That will guide you thru the restoration
Scott: Well all of the news was not good (bad actually). How do I access the sticky's you mentioned as well as the links? Thanks.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Scott: Well all of the news was not good (bad actually). How do I access the sticky's you mentioned as well as the links? Thanks.
go to the top of the forum. the first few topics are stuck like a postit note. 4th one down is the DIY.

go from there

AVI_8

Cadet
That’s a shame it looks otherwise like a really nice boat, if you do go down the route of a complete restoration it would make an interesting read, with lots of pictures!