Lake depth and how shallow can you run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidlabfx

Seaman
Sounds like a silly question. But today I took the 14 foot glastron skiflite out. And good lord was the lake not only crazy busy. But choppy. "Southern Wisconsin" so tomorrow I'd like to try some much smaller lakes and on average. Some are 10 feet of water. Too shallow? Have an outboard. Electric trim. Just wanted to stay away from the crazies and super chop.

Attachments

• 20230618_122924.jpg
    20230618_122924.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 58

matt167

Captain
Yes. Same shaft size that was originally on there.
It’s not right though. It’s robbing you of some performance and it’s making your leg 5” deeper than it needs to be. 3’ of water is about as shallow as I’d want to go. I’ve got a 15” DF25A on my boat and have ran in 2.7’ when I was ontop of a sunken island and didn’t know it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
looks like a XL motor (25") on a short shaft transom (15")

the Anti-Ventilation plate should be even or even 1" above the bottom of the keel, not 12" lower

liquidlabfx

Seaman
It’s not right though. It’s robbing you of some performance and it’s making your leg 5” deeper than it needs to be. 3’ of water is about as shallow as I’d want to go. I’ve got a 15” DF25A on my boat and have ran in 2.7’ when I was ontop of a sunken island and didn’t know it.
I appreciate
looks like a XL motor (25") on a short shaft transom (15")

the Anti-Ventilation plate should be even or even 1" above the bottom of the keel, not 12" lower
21 inch transom center to center to the keel. But I just wanted to know what's a good rule of thumb. Granted we haven't had rain in quite some time. So places will be lower.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The real question.....how much do you trust the depth readings on the chart?

My hull drafts 14” and I have a 25” leg. Have my depth alarm set at 30”. Start kicking mud/sand at idle in 24” of water.
Can "navigate" in as little as 18" (sand bottom) with the motor trimmed up.

liquidlabfx

Seaman
The real question.....how much do you trust the depth readings on the chart?

My hull drafts 14” and I have a 25” leg. Have my depth alarm set at 30”. Start kicking mud/sand at idle in 24” of water.
Can "navigate" in as little as 18" (sand bottom) with the motor trimmed up.
That's my point lol. I don't. Just knowing alot of the smaller lakes are not extremely deep. So I thought I'd ask what's people's opinions.

matt167

Captain
I personally wouldn’t run without a depth sounder. I use a Striker 4 GPS which was $100 and it’s actually pretty good. Set your waypoint when you leave the dock so that you can get back. I have the depth alarm set to 10’ as the lake I run in has depths from 1’-60’ with the median depth being 40’

liquidlabfx

Seaman
I personally wouldn’t run without a depth sounder. I use a Striker 4 GPS which was $100 and it’s actually pretty good. Set your waypoint when you leave the dock so that you can get back. I have the depth alarm set to 10’ as the lake I run in has depths from 1’-60’ with the median depth being 40’
Thank you. I'll check that out

liquidlabfx

Seaman
I looked and watched some videos. And liked the unit. Purchased it. If anything it'll give peace of mind. Thanks for the recommendation

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I don't think it is a 25" motor or a 15" Transom. It does look like it is about an 1 or so below where the bottom of the Hull would be. The trailer Bunk is interfering with seeing the Hull Lines

Your engine appear to have Power Tilt, maybe even Trim so running with it lifted at low speed is no problem.

At speed you can actually run in Shallower Water than at Idle, but you can't slow down, and there is always the risk of something suddenly being an Obstacle. if I were to chance it, the bottom would have to be like Loon Dung, soft, or fine sand, but Sand will grind away the Prop. We used to have to run Sand Bars(would leave trenchs in the Sand about about 15 inches below the surface) to get the Boat to shore. To get it out, we used to walk it out about 3 hundred feet to where the engine wouldn't drag at idle(didn't have power tilt).

liquidlabfx

Seaman
I don't think it is a 25" motor or a 15" Transom. It does look like it is about an 1 or so below where the bottom of the Hull would be. The trailer Bunk is interfering with seeing the Hull Lines

Your engine appear to have Power Tilt, maybe even Trim so running with it lifted at low speed is no problem.

At speed you can actually run in Shallower Water than at Idle, but you can't slow down, and there is always the risk of something suddenly being an Obstacle. if I were to chance it, the bottom would have to be like Loon Dung, soft, or fine sand, but Sand will grind away the Prop. We used to have to run Sand Bars(would leave trenchs in the Sand about about 15 inches below the surface) to get the Boat to shore. To get it out, we used to walk it out about 3 hundred feet to where the engine wouldn't drag at idle(didn't have power tilt).
Appreciate the input. But figured this one out a Long time ago. But thank you.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You really need to get that motor higher, you're asking for trouble!

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
I don't think you're asking for trouble.
But I/we can see the bottom of the hull where it disappears behind the left bunk. I can tell it runs parallel to the bunk and by "extending " that line out , it shows your hull is about 1-11/2 " above the cavitation plate.
so, since you asked about depth....
as others commented, you could raise the motor that last bolt hole which should improve performance and give more clearance.

nice boat...

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Sand and mud, just slow you down a bit, Rock Ridges are far more Exciting, with Booms, Bangs, and other sounds

Status
Not open for further replies.