Lack of Upholstery Problem

Blue2Green

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I picked up a 1989 Four Winns Freedom 190 "Project" relatively inexpensive. But of course this comes with a lot of problems. Most of the interior upholstery was missing and by most I mean all the original pieces. All that was left was 2 aftermarket Lounge seats. My question is, how do I replace the upholstery if I don?t have any old pieces to use as a guide. And since the upholstery was missing, what is the best way to fasten them back in place? I have noticed that newer boats don?t have the "Button Covers" like my friends dads old boat has. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

saltwaterbluefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Lack of Upholstery Problem

A upholstery shop can make you anything you want, but you are going to pay out the wazoo. I would google and see what the boat looked like before being stripped down to give you an idea of what you need to replace. If you can find an old boat junkyard you may be able to pick up some pieces that would atleast serve as a template. For fastening, the button snaps work, but you can also bolt the upholstery to the boat if you have the room to get to it from behind. If you kept everything light you could use velcro although that may be a little bit of a stretch. If i where you I would keep it simple, take some pressure treated plywood as thin as you can get it. Put wood locking bolts through, buy some foam and marine vinyl, then cover and staple. If you are a master at sewing you can add some piping. I did this for my boat and it turned out well.

Bondo

Staff member

My question is, how do I replace the upholstery if I don?t have any old pieces to use as a guide.

Ayuh,... Build it the way you Want it,...

To 'ell with whatever it was before....

Blue2Green

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you for the information, I dont want to spend alot for upholstery, so I just have to use the 'ol noggin and learn how to use a sewing machine. I will add pics when I start and for help along the way as needed. You guys are great. Thanks for the help.

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer

Ayuh,... Build it the way you Want it,...

To 'ell with whatever it was before....

agree 100%. You are blessed to have a blank slate. 19' is plenty big enough to put whatever kind of seating you want in it. Did I see that you already checked for rot in another thread? In my used boat searching, I have found a direct correlation between rotten interiors and rotten floors, etc. Make sure you have a good solid deck to bolt the seats to first.

EDIT: you may want to check out the pontoon furniture section in iboats too. I have thought of this myself, but have no direct knowledge of how to make it work, but you can purchase sections and pieces there to put together and build it that way. And it is a little cheaper than you might think.

Blue2Green

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am having the floor and stringers repaired now (was going to do it myself) but found a deal I couldnt pass up. I found a seat set for $512 of 2 back to back lounge seats and 2 jump seats. I cant wait to get it back so I can start the resto.

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

Thank you for the information, I dont want to spend alot for upholstery, so I just have to use the 'ol noggin and learn how to use a sewing machine. I will add pics when I start and for help along the way as needed. You guys are great. Thanks for the help.

You need to look at this thread over on TexasHotBoats.com Buddy of mine that lives an Garland and boats at Lavon did just that. Bought a machine off of Craigslist and made his own.

http://www.texashotboats.com/forums/index.php?topic=11321.0

You can also check my Ambassador thread linked in my sig for an idea how pontoon furniture can work. Seat info is on the last couple of pages..

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

here's some pcitures and videos of how i made my boat seats.....in my signature

Blue2Green

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You need to look at this thread over on TexasHotBoats.com Buddy of mine that lives an Garland and boats at Lavon did just that. Bought a machine off of Craigslist and made his own.

http://www.texashotboats.com/forums/index.php?topic=11321.0

You can also check my Ambassador thread linked in my sig for an idea how pontoon furniture can work. Seat info is on the last couple of pages..

That upholstery job was outstanding. The cocktail seating is very cool. I see there are alot of different ways to refurb a boat and personalize it.

Blue2Green

Petty Officer 2nd Class

here's some pcitures and videos of how i made my boat seats.....in my signature
Awesome thread, those seats are sweet. I am definately going to try my hand a sewing. Really has me excited about redesigning the seat layout my way. Thank you guys for giving me the ideas and confidence to try my imagination. Just have to get my boat back from the floor replacement. We hit a snag (the marine plywood still had moisture and the resin didnt cure properly) and it has been delayed a week. This crazy spring weather here.