kerosene/ diesel heaters and epoxy resin work when it's cold?

matt167

Captain
I'm soon going to be needing to use epoxy when the temps are down. I can keep the product warm at all times, but the garage I can't keep heated all the time, but it does have some insulation and a thirsty old house furnace should I want to feed that beast.

What I do have for cheap reliable heat is 2 old wick type kerosene heaters. My grandfather had them, and they have not been used since I was a kid. But I dusted them off, checked the wicks and dumped in some diesel and a little treatment and both lit off and work fine.. I also have a kerosene fueled torpedo and I know I can get the garage to 60* or better

But will the fumes off of any of these heaters cause issues with the epoxy? I know not to paint with them or the substrate will fisheye

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Not sure about burning kerosene. I suggest you research if they are used in confined space. I use a propane torpedo heater. EEpppoooxxxyy is a no problem in regards to fumes and combustion.
Also suggest a carbon monoxide detector and extinguisher rated for the materials you are working on.
Safety 1st :}

matt167

Captain
It's one of the older style ones that were used to heat homes, and still are for emergency. It doesn't have a tip switch or oxygen sensor that the newer ones have, but the garage isn't 100% air tight. I do have CO monitors though and more than one general purpose extinguisher .. It's out of the 70's or early 80's I think, and the other is probably slightly older but that one is a larger radiant heat model that I may or may not use depending..

I have an idea to use the torpedo to heat the room up to temp, and the wick type kerosene heaters burning diesel to keep the heat. This type heater burns diesel just fine, and some even list it as a usable fuel.