keel damage from the bow

76delro

Cadet
hello everyone i have a v-hull boat, its keel is damage from trailering.brocken fiberglass. is marine tek ok to use. not worried about the color right now just want to fix the problem. i hope the picture helps. thank you

Attachments

• P5210388.JPG
    P5210388.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 0
  • P5210389.JPG
    P5210389.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 0
  • P5210390.JPG
    P5210390.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 0

fuzzeywiggler

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: keel damage from the bow

O im not sure if that good mate.

Poke it and see if it is spungy at all! I had one that was similar and I had to cut it out and totally rebuild it...

Poke a different section of you keel to compair it.

It looks wet is it? if so it looks to be all the way through which can delaminate some of the layers of fiberglass... so investigate it further and tell us what you have got.

If you have to cut it out don't worry it ins't that hard to fix but you should have access from the inside a well. It just takes lots of layers of F/G and BP to get the shape you need again.

Boatfirstday005.jpg

(sry its not a very good pic I have some more on a different camera around)

Boatrepair007.jpg

that's the almost finished product.

Also check out this thread for more pics of it http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=249713

Fuzzey

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

Yea, the kid is correct. You might consider a solid repair from the back, and fair it up. Marine Tex is great for the smaller holes and such, but I would not look at it as a magic repair for that kind of damage in your photos.​

76delro

Cadet

thanks for the quick response guys...i investigated it some more and poke around.i found that the area are hard no soft spots or spongy feel at all.so what should i do.

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

If it is solid and does not go all the way through, Then yes, you can sand it out and fair it with the Marine Tex. Ensure it is cleaned out really good and roughed up so the Marine Tex will get a good bite.​

76delro

Cadet

sweet thank you so much...i thought it would be a nightmare once again thanks a million. is there anything that i can do to prevent this from happening again. is there some kind of plate or protector of some sort that i can put on.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The best method would be to use glass and rebuild the area and it won't make any difference if you use polyester or epoxy. From the pic it looks like there's a great deal material worn off and just filling it with putty will sort of work, but it's not the best method.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

read ondarvrs post twice....

and when you get done.....adjust the trailer roller, and search keel gaurd

Piva

Recruit

sweet thank you so much...i thought it would be a nightmare once again thanks a million. is there anything that i can do to prevent this from happening again. is there some kind of plate or protector of some sort that i can put on.

I too have the same problem but no holes. After repair, go to "Keel Guard" or "Hambys" (search). Both make good keel protectors that you can install yourself, closely following the directions.