Just starting out.

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi to everyone out there. My family just bought an older boat 79 tri-hull. since I cant put money into it (I get to do all the labor fixing it.) I just finished taking splitting the bulkhead from the hull and have torn into the floor and getting ready to tear out the stringers and foam. any suggestions on the best economical material to replace the stringers and also a good brand of epoxy coating?to cover everything with. One last thing should I replace the foam or tear it all out? I know I am in for a big project but i think it will be fun other than the endless itching from the fiberglass. any suggestions would be greatly accepted.

Thank You.:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Just starting out.

Welcome to iboats!!

Exterior plywood is the cheapest material and use polyester resin which is cheaper than epoxy.

Replace the foam after the stingers and transom are done.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

What Bob said.. and read other threads here on the same subject....don't worry...there are many, should be enough to keep you up late all week.

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

I second what has already been said.
However, it seems that the replacement of foam is a debatable topic. The foam obviously has a purpose, i.e. flotation in the event of capsizing, and sound-dampering; I also know the coast guard made it mandatory at some point in time for certain vessels. However, foam also promotes rot if water does seep its way into the hull (which it will) becasue the foam will absorb water. I think the replacement of foam is a personal decision....I have a late 70's tri-hull (check out the link in my signature) and it did not have foam so I certainly will not (and did not for that matter) and foam back.

Good luck and upload some pics if you have 'em!

SCItalian

Cadet

Welcome to Iboats. There are a great many threads on here about stringer and transom replacement. Like you i'm doing my first boat restoration. I've found alot of awnsers to 99.9% of my questions here bud. Been up late reading for two weeks not 1 though lol. If you got some pics that would be awesome( my lazy butt still hasn't taken my butt to storage unit to get cable to get mine off camera) . Keep reading you'll find the awnsers if not ask away and the expieranced guys will gladly awnser you! Good luck and keep us updated.

tallcanadian

Captain

Did I hear the words tri hull? Welcome to the forum. Yes pictures would be great. You've already received great answers already. I used epoxy on my boat, but like it was earlier stated is more expensive than polester resin. Epoxy, however, has little or no smell but polyester is very strong in smell. Epoxy has a longer cure time and is easier to work with. Epoxy, in my opinion, is stronger and will stick to just about anything, even polester resin. Hope this helps a bit.

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the replies. I am still trying to get some photos on but getting help from sis-in-law this week on how to do so. My pics I have are to big.:mad: need to make smaller. also I forgot to take a few before I took off the upper section from the lower section.:confused: all this boat terminology sometimes confuses me but I know what I am talking about to myself anyway lol. I like the idea of using the MAS system epoxy what do you people think? also my neighbor has a few new sheets of 4 ply 3/8 plywood I was wondering if I could glue and then glass these together for my stringers and be good to go? hopefully I will have pics. up soon.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Oh you took the CAP off of the HULL ;)

Yes you can laminate that plywood together and cover with epoxy or poly resin and some chopped strand mat.

Read through the restorations we have, the old, new and current ones all give great tips.

I believe in foam but extruded foam boards and some people here use pool noodles...... the secret is to make sure the water has a way to get to the bilge to be properly drained. The older foams would break down and absorb water.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Set up an account on photobucket.com for your pics and link to them from here. There's 3 threads at the top of the non-boating technical topics section that tell you how. Good luck with your project.

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Where is the best place to find what kind of boat I have if I do not know the make and there is no tag or info on the boat.

tallcanadian

Captain

You may be in the right place. Try posting a photo or you can try fiberglassics.com. Good luck.

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I finally got some pics. up in an album how do I put them on this thread?

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

If you have a photobucket account, you should be able to get the 'link code' for each individual pic. Once you pick on 'get link code' select the 'full-size pic for forum' (it is about 3/4 down the page).
Hope this helps!!

tallcanadian

Captain

You say it's a '79. There should be a HIN (hull identification number) on the outside of the transom at the top right hand side, if your looking at the transom. There should be a row of numbers and letters there. I know on some boats on top of the transom is a secondary number as well. Hope this helps.

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

where is a place where I can enter the HIN # to find out what it is?

S. Toth

Petty Officer 3rd Class

looks like you got yourself a right project there
good luck, S. toth

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks tallcanadian I apparently have an interesting situation. I went to the web site you told me about. my HIN did not match anything. It kept telling me that a letter or number was in the wrong place, so I started to play with the numbers a little to see what would come up. I finally came up with a combo of numbers that worked and it is a homemade manufacturer here in utah.the most interesting part is I have the last registration from the previous owners, and a police report from a local police dept. verifying the HIN number. Hopefully I should be able to register just fine with all the paperwork I have.