Just an observation...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I've been a member now for a few years and I have yet to see even one "Like" being clicked or used with any comment or project. If such an option is not ever being used, why not remove it and save the code space for other things? Just curious to have never seen it used and I know there is code supporting it in the background if by chance someone decides to use it. :noidea:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Perhaps better fit would be in the forum issues and concerns. Tony monitors that forum, not sure how active he is in other forums.

'Feature' of the vB5 software

And it did get used a few times when the upgrade happened and it appeared down in next to the post options and edit button

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Perhaps better fit would be in the forum issues and concerns. Tony monitors that forum, not sure how active he is in other forums.

'Feature' of the vB5 software

Ha, don't take this a complaining, just wondering. It seriously doesn't bother me either way. I just thought they (the folks maintaining the code) could use it for other things...

jbcurt00

Staff member
I didn't mean to imply it was a problem, just that Tony does try to monitor that forum more then others.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I moved the topic ... and "liked" your question GM :D

I'm actually curious as to what happens for folks that get a buncha' likes? Dunno' if anyone really knows.

No, I moved it, SK. Well, one of us did. :D

Likes are like Atta-Boys. One you know what and poof - All gone. LOL

The like code is sitting out there waiting for someone to like a post. It's part of the VB software to be more like social media. It causes no overhead and while not used much, it is used.

jbcurt00

Staff member
FYI if you click the like count total, it'll provide a list of which members Liked the post.

Another forum I frequent uses a Thanks button. The users who click Thanks are listed at the bottom of the post, and where iboats shows my post total, the other forum lists my post count and the # of Thanks I've gotten.

Fun Times

Staff member
I moved the topic ... and "liked" your question GM :D

I'm actually curious as to what happens for folks that get a buncha' likes? Dunno' if anyone really knows.
Well southkogs and gm280 you get a bunch of red numbered notifications you have to go check on and delete if desired much like I just had you two do....:D

Also if I recall correctly, the likes are supposed to help build up the amber colored power levels found in-between the ranks.

I use it fairly often. As a matter of fact, I did suggest it a few years back.​ I see it as a way for someone to respond to the information provided without having to type a bunch of stuff. Thank's !
I often do the same.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
FYI if you click the like count total, it'll provide a list of which members Liked the post.
... ooooohhhhh ... I like(d) that :D

... Also if I recall correctly, the likes are supposed to help build up the amber colored power levels found in-between the ranks ...
LOL ... I've got waaaaaay too many bars filled up on mine for that to be the case :laugh:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Threads can also be sorted by likes. So far there are 5 likes and that's just in threads posted in today.

Fun Times

Staff member
LOL ... I've got waaaaaay too many bars filled up on mine for that to be the case :laugh:
I can't find it now but one of the Admins mentioned it sometime ago and said if they (Admin) likes a post then it goes up even quicker so I joked with him and told him he needs to like more posts, he did and my bars went up/maxed out pretty quickly thereafter.:noidea:

Sorry littlerayray, I'm not sure. Edit: Lol, now I see you and Grub54891 have two bars lit up.:)

Last edited:

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Sad part is I'm sitting here giggling about all this cuz in my head we all sound like 4 yr Olds going how come I don't have more likes

southkogs

Staff member
... we all sound like 4 yr Olds going how come I don't have more likes
How many likes does it take to light up my status power bar? = Mr. Owl, how many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop? :)

I've been laughing too ... kinda' a fun thread.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WOW, I honestly didn't know this was going to avalanche like it did... :peep:

Now I know way more then I actually needed too... :facepalm: :sorry:

littlerayray

Lieutenant
It's ok my gf says my eyes light up like a little her kids when the kids ket a new toy and she shook her head when me and her son were having a nerf gun fight in the house she says I'm a big kid but she loves it the kids find it hilarious

southkogs

Staff member
... just looked, and you can rank topics by "Likes."

So, Grub's suggestion (POST #7) might make a little sense - when you run across a post that's really helpful hitting the LIKE will actually help it's ranking. Members searching for answers could actually use that to aid in their searches.

I might start punching the button more too. Might be a good kinda' avalanche GM280.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Another forum I frequent uses a Thanks button. The users who click Thanks are listed at the bottom of the post, and where iboats shows my post total, the other forum lists my post count and the # of Thanks I've gotten.

I belong to a forum that works the same way. Maybe it's the same forum... Then under your profile info it shows how many times a member was thanked in x amount of posts....

I don't see it being used very much. More of a novelty than anything else....... Ranking Topics by likes probably wouldn't be very useful since very few members check "like"..........