Johnson 1968 33hp

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Johnson 1968 33hp

No, it does not look like you have a generator. You do not need one; just keep the battery charged. The battery is only used for the starter on your motor.

Would a solar panel charger connected to the battery work? Due to finances, I will only be able to buy one battery at first but will upgrade it later on. Is this ok?

lindy46

Captain

Would a solar panel charger connected to the battery work? Due to finances, I will only be able to buy one battery at first but will upgrade it later on. Is this ok?

Sure - I use one on my 1957 Lark/pontoon boat and I don't have to charge the battery all summer.

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Should I use a dual purpose battery? I plan on using it to power a stereo, lights, and that's about it.

Last edited:

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Would I connect all the wires that need to be connected to a grounding point there?

series60

Chief Petty Officer

Would I connect all the wires that need to be connected to a grounding point there?

You could if it's convenient but not necessary. You can use most any nut, bolt or screw to ground to the block. I would suggest taking a little time to clean any paint or grease away from the ground area before connecting the wires.

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Alright thank you so much! Gonna order wiring then starting it soon!

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looked at the spark plugs and realized its stripped, then last job didnt fix it. Gonna replace it with the helicoil

Also, looking at the cutout switch, where is it grounded?

It looks like the only wire attached it from the cutout switch il attach a picture shortly.

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I meant to say the actual device that is connected to the cutout switch.

A few more questions: the starter is supposed to be grounded however there is only one spot to connect a wire to. Second, what type of battery can I use if I would only like to use one? Third, the connector I plan to purchase won't work. Any ideas on a connector that will. It needs to be 5 way.

Thanks guys and have a good rest of the evening!

series60

Chief Petty Officer

the starter is supposed to be grounded however there is only one spot to connect a wire to.

The starter is grounded by the bolts that mount it to the engine. The one spot on the starter you mention is for the positive wire from the solenoid (big 10g red wire will do).

what type of battery can I use if I would only like to use one?

A dual purpose battery or deep-cycle will work fine unless you are going to be starting the engine all the time.