Johnson 1968 33hp

jasper60103

Commander
Re: Johnson 1968 33hp

Do I finish compressions testing than?

Well, as suggested earlier, I would get that wiring sorted out before connecting a battery
and attempting to turn it over. Also, you will have to fix the stripped spark plug hole as well to test both cylinders.

Did you find a wiring diagram?

edit:
Also, another thought comes to mind. Try turning the flywheel clockwise by hand to verify the motor is not seized.

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have not found a wiring diagram yet. Which wires should be where? On the front bottom left is what it think is the ignition. What wires come from that? Where do they go?

The fly wheel can be turned both directions.

jasper60103

Commander

I have not found a wiring diagram yet. Which wires should be where? On the front bottom left is what it think is the ignition. What wires come from that? Where do they go?

The fly wheel can be turned both directions.

Well, the good news is the motor is not locked-up.
I can't help you with the wiring. If you can't find your answers here, start a thread on the antique outboard forum.
Also, maybe a few more pics would help too, detailing where those wires are going to/from the vacuum cutout switch. That looks scary.

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yay:) I will try to get those pictures up today or tomorrow! If that doesn't help il make a tres in the antique outboard forum.

kfa4303

Banned

Hello again beginner. Quite a rat's nest you've got there. I would suggest you rip it all out and start fresh. I know it's a bit daunting, but it will be much less work in the long run. Start with the large battery leads and run them to the starter and block as described in the previous post (+ terminal on battery to the starter using red wire, (-) terminal on battery to the engine block/bracket using black wire). You can then move on to the push button and vacuum kill switches. At that point, you'll have a motor that will start and stop safely. You can then move on to the electric choke and other, less vital features. I'll try to find some pics of a correctly wired Big Twin so I can label and post them hear. Kind of hard to describe. Hang in there. Be patient and take your time.

This may help get you started:

http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-evinrude-outboards/1965-evinrude-big-twin-436831-2.html

I found the complete wiring diagram!, but it's part of a larger .pdf document and I'm not sure how to post/send the single page you need :/ If someone can tell me how to isolate and post a single page out of the .pdf I'll post it ASAP.

Update: I think I got it. Here's a.pdf of a 1968 OMC 33 hp wiring diagram (I hope). If you need a better image. Let me know and I'll repost. Hope it serves.

1968 33 hp OMC wring diargram.jpg

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Get the head straightened out before you do anything else. You probably used a compression tester with an insert that is too long. Many have both long and short inserts - the long insert can be unscrewed, leaving the short one exposed and ready for use.

If you used an insert that is too long, the head of the piston will hit it as you turn the motor over with the starter. Basically, it tries to pound the insert out of the head, stripping the threads. You might get away with dressing the threads with a tap, but you might also have to helicoil the head or replace it.

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great...Not wanting to do that but oh well. I have no experince with outboards so this will be tough. Am I going to need a choke and ignition? Currently I have a 6 connector ignition switch.

kfa4303

Banned

I've touched it up a bit. It's not too bad. Just go slow and do one wire at a time.

th.jpg

th.jpg

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Picture is very small and I can not view it. Could you post a bigger one or paste the link?

Also, what size wires will I need?

kfa4303

Banned

ooops, sure I'll repost.

let's try this:

wiring.jpg

and/or this:

wiring.jpg

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is confusing...Will I need wires for all of those? Or Will I have some?

kfa4303

Banned

It would be best to remove all of the old wires and start fresh. Thankfully, you only need a few feet of each color. Pay special attention to the size of the wires listed as well.

lindy46

Captain

Many of the wires don't apply to your motor, as you don't have a generator/amps gauge/voltage regulator.

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Alright. Is there a place where I can find a diagram specific to my engine?

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's been so long! Why size wiring should I use? Trying to get wiring done this week.

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wet and purchased a compression tester. It fits in hole but not te stripped one. Will need to figure out a way to fix that.