Johnson 1968 33hp

series60

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Johnson 1968 33hp

I wet and purchased a compression tester. It fits in hole but not te stripped one. Will need to figure out a way to fix that.

You will need to install a heli-coil aka thread repair kit. This will require removal of the head and you will need a new head gasket (I have installed a heli-coil without removing the head but I don't recommend it). Someone may chime in with what size kit you will need. This is a basic thread repair but must be done with care. Read up a little on how to do this before starting the repair. Another option might be finding another head but it will be difficult but possible. Try Antique Outboard Motor Club for another head.

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I will look at that. I am not sure if I can take this vital challenge on as I am a beginner. I have a close friend who is really good with car engines, I will check with them to see if they know how to replace it. If not, to a mechanic it goes! :(

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

So, in the time I've been away, I:
Ordered the Service Manual
Stripped the Previous wiring
Re-threaded the spark plug hole
Purchased new spark plugs
Purchased a carb rebuild kit (plan on installing today)

Now, I have some questions. I am wondering if I can get a Wire Harness Connector, so I can wire my boat and still be able to take the engine off when need be. The problem is, most wire harnesses have a set amount of wires, I would like to be able to wire my boat customarily to my liking and purchase the wire harness connectors and just attach them to the ends of the wire. I hope that all makes sense!

Does anybody know how I can do this?

I really appreciate all the help that you guys have given me. Couldn't do it with out you!

Thanks

lindy46

Captain

You can probably get a replacement wiring harness from nymarine.ca but you won't like the price. Why not just wire it up with a pushbutton start right on the motor? Starter solenoid mounts right under the hood and it's pretty easy to wire it up. Then all you have to do is disconnect the cables from the battery to remove the motor from the boat.

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am confused about the push button. A diagram would help a lot. Could you explain it a little more?

I want to be able to start and stop the engine from the dash.

lindy46

Captain

You really need to find a qualified person in your area who can help you get your motor set up properly.

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm going to try to set the motor up and have a friend look at it. After, il have a marine mechanic look t it to make sure it's in good shape.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You can install a helicoil in the stripped spark plug hole with out pulling the head. Put some grease on the helicoil tap and the alum sticks to the tap. Done it many times.

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Luckily, the thread wasn't stripped that bad so a simple run trough the threads fixed it!

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey guy so I was comparing the service manual to my engine and I realized I lost the solenoid under te carburetor. Not sure what it does but I'm sure it's necessary. It's a big investment bring priced at $200 for te assembly. I not sure what the solenoid actually does so if someone could tell me I would appreciate it!

series60

Chief Petty Officer

Hey guy so I was comparing the service manual to my engine and I realized I lost the solenoid under te carburetor. Not sure what it does but I'm sure it's necessary. It's a big investment bring priced at $200 for te assembly. I not sure what the solenoid actually does so if someone could tell me I would appreciate it!

It's probably the choke solenoid and you can do without it if you have a manual choke on that motor.

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Alright so I don't need to purchase it now? I can install it later?

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looking at the wiring diagram, it says grounde to power head. Does that mean I ground it to these.

image.jpg

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

A decent amount of work for today, got all the correct sizing for the wires so I can order those. Waiting to see where I need to ground wires too. I found where I'm going to buy the connectors for my
Custom wire harness. Weather Pack | Metri-Pack | Fusible Link Wire | White Products Cleveland Ohio | Terminals Seals Connectors | Automotive Electrical Terminals Seals <- they sell all sorts but the one I will be purchasing is the 5 way waterproof one. I will have only 4 connected until I purchase and install the choke solenoid. I will have that wire run most likely and most likey will have the choke seitch installed in the dash.

This week I plan on ordering the wires as well as replacing some tubing found on the engine. Gonna rig a "dash" up on my engine stand so I can start it. Just gonna have the basics.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions you would not like to ask on the forum. Otherwise goodnight guys!

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I keep looking and looking and can not find the answer, and yes its a dumb question, theres your notice! So here it goes, WHAT DOES IT MEAN BY "GROUND WIRE TO POWER HEAD?"

Thank you in advance!

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Alright sorry for all the post but one last question (I promise)! Anyway, do I need the Generator, if so do I have one? What do they look like? The manual I have has the wiring for it. Let me know!

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

I keep looking and looking and can not find the answer, and yes its a dumb question, theres your notice! So here it goes, WHAT DOES IT MEAN BY "GROUND WIRE TO POWER HEAD?" Thank you in advance!

The negative battery cable is attached to the power head. Now the confusing part is that "ground wire" can mean 2 different things. It can be an action like "ground the wire to the power head" which means to attach the wire to the head, thereby "grounding" it. A "ground wire" can also be any wire that is attached to the power head.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Alright sorry for all the post but one last question (I promise)! Anyway, do I need the Generator, if so do I have one? What do they look like? The manual I have has the wiring for it. Let me know!
No, it does not look like you have a generator. You do not need one; just keep the battery charged. The battery is only used for the starter on your motor.

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

The negative battery cable is attached to the power head. Now the confusing part is that "ground wire" can mean 2 different things. It can be an action like "ground the wire to the power head" which means to attach the wire to the head, thereby "grounding" it. A "ground wire" can also be any wire that is attached to the power head.

Alright. Where do I connect the negative battery cable? There are only a few wires that need to be grounded.