John Allmand - SuperNova19 video restore

f_inscreenname

Commander
Ayuh,..... I imagine you already know, but even up here in the far north, on hotter days, puttin' yer mix cup into a bigger pan filled with ice, can prolong the work time of yer resin mixes,.....

Lookin' Great though,..... ;)
Lucky enough the Layup Resin I get from US Comp's is a lot better. Never thought of just filling one paint tray half way up with crushed ice and just putting another one on top of it for the resin.
Thanks !!

f_inscreenname

Commander
We start our day with a big expensive shipment. Rain, rain, go away.... If its not raining we are doing something but the rain just keeps coming. We continue to build our missing deck along with finishing the motor mounts. We keep finding hidden holes. We finally get to start building the built in rear seats. There is a lot more to them then they look. Days of work. We get hit with another storm with casualties. More seats and more seats and more seats.

f_inscreenname

Commander
We continue working on our rear seats. They seemed real simple but are not. Nicest thing about them is you wont see much of them. For the first time we do a long inspection of the front deck. It don't look good. We now have to do things that we are not sure where to even start at. Some final alterations to the seats and then they have to be installed. We also have to temporarily fix the rear deck just so we can later fix the rear deck. A funny story about our new neighbors. A "Race Boatism" about being handy. We do the build in bracing for the top lift off and attempt a lift. Total fail.

f_inscreenname

Commander
We get a slow start because of rain. Time to rig the top right for lift off. The first failed attempt was the most extensive rigging attempt we have ever done. The second attempt will be even more extreme by an extreme level. Got to give Maryland their slice...year after year. Flying illegal fish found in the yard. Time to take the top off. It's so bad we need to dig a hole or two in the yard and throw it in. Huge mistake when moving and flipping the top. The true year of it's built is found and we now know why Allmand made the SuperNova into the Fisherman. We start rebuilding the deck. We found a odd burn in the deck. Was homeless living in this boat? We are keeping track on what we are taking out of the deck.

f_inscreenname

Commander
We start off Another Day with another weather related tragedy and brings me to the real reason I don't re-do boats anymore. We get to save a couple pieces of the original deck as we re-core it. That's a first. After many days working on the flipped over top I'm getting a little sick of it and for some reason it smells like old burnt motor oil as the end is near. With the top off there is also a list of things to do to the hull before the top goes back on. Everything looks better with a coat of paint. Time to flip the top back over, move it and then clean up the mess. We then put the redone top back on the boat....some what.

f_inscreenname

Commander
Time to install the top for real this time and then put everything we have out to do it, back. The top has a slightly different shape we are going to have to live with. We have to fill holes. Lots and lots of holes. So many holes!!!! We had to count them. Sunlight and shade, a big difference. We have to stop thinking and maybe the rain will stop. Trying to end the fiberglassing.

f_inscreenname

Commander
Why and how we do what we do. With age....comes tools. We start with our special blocks, spread a bunch of carbon around and then sand it off. Body work, body work, body work, it just never ends. And....we have already damaged the boat but we can fix it. Round and round.... Look at that transom!! Broke a spring so business is closed until it's fixed. Did I make a pass at the Amazon driver or were we talking to you all? We have our first primer issues. Has there ever been such a thing as a perfect sanding day?

f_inscreenname

Commander
Dreaming of a time when this boat was born. Time to get the sides ready for paint. There is a lot of hidden issues. Like thousands of them. Looking for Allmand tags?? The Sun wont come out so we make our own to find bad spots. We start work on the windshield that is in many pieces. Another Poly order, more money but it will work out in the long run. Now that everything is fixed let's drill some holes in it and get some core samples.

f_inscreenname

Commander
We get out a paint gun for the first time and then get very carried away with it. We then see how bad things really are. This boat is so screwed up it needs to be restored, let sit for a year and then restore it again. I'm telling you, I'll take any cheat I can get at this point. A "Race Boatism" venting a gravity feed paint sprayer up side down. I Lost 18 Pounds On Nova Restore And You Can To..... Took a nose dive into the driveway and it hurts. It could have ended the project but we are not going to let it...if we have a say.

f_inscreenname

Commander
Armageddon come to our door. Did I actually get lightening steamers on video? We need to use our bad welding skills to attach the top to the hull. It's time to get some color on the hull. At least a base coat. Maybe a color you would not expect. A well thought out joke bombs. After more prep work and a laser, its time to get the real color on it but we cant shoot it in the sunlight.

f_inscreenname

Commander
It's like Christmas, lets look at the boat for the first time together. But that's about all we can do for now to the paint. We have to give it time as much as we don't want to. The weather comes to stop us again but we keep going even if it's in the garage. Time to show off our crappy welding skills and rebuilt the bow brace for the new location of the bow cleat to bow eye. Cleaning up our space and getting rid of what we can. Billy Idol has to have the most songs played on radio then any other artist. The white has been done for a few days, time for some color sanding. Color sanding white over black over white is a major pain. With the black done we take it off the trailer one more time for our first real look at the bottom....

f_inscreenname

Commander
With the boat off the trailer I hope I have enough to hold it up? The bottom repairs begin. It don't look as bad as I thought, it's worse....or is it? Again the weather is a major factor on everything we do even though it's not supposed to be. Once you think you are done an area you hit it with a little primer and have to start over. Then ..... the painting disaster happens...... let the gallon hit the floor. Then we figure out what happened. We finally get to use our paint gun and mother nature sends in the big guns to put a stop to it. While the boat is off we do a little final trailer work. Then the Buck Stops Here.

f_inscreenname

Commander
After getting rained out during our first attempt of painting the bottom it's time to get it done with more weather on the way. Is this the end of the "endless work"? Some times plans don't go as planned...they go so much better!! There was a whole lot of water in the boat. Thinking ahead, it's time to make some patterns. With the boat on the trailer we still have three spots to finish on the bottom. For as small as they are it still takes everything so while we were at it we sealed the black and white together. The first install we want to do is install the windshield frame but we have to wait to make a couple other things.

f_inscreenname

Commander
Time to fit the windshield frame back to some place it has not been in a long time, it's home. Looks easy but it's not at all. It starts out pretty flimsy but ends up really solid. The hardware is adding up and its just for the windshield. The weather plays games with us again so we start building a bracket to be able to pick up the boat and decide to skip everything else and do it all to finish. Still chasing ghosts in the 19. Time to make the inside look as good as the outside. Not again!

f_inscreenname

Commander
We really have to get this paint on the deck and transom before we install some stuff. Then we go after the stern deck cleat. Seems simple but we make sure it's not. Time once again to show of my bad welding skills. Finally we get to install some bling bling pieces. The weather shows us who's boss once again. Just maybe I can finish the gas tank install after all this time. Got to spend a little time on my 19 chasing ghosts in the machine. Enough of this boat is done it's time to try to put a top on it. Last we start putting the first wires in the boat.

f_inscreenname

Commander
We try to finally finish the gas tank / fuel system install. Then it's time for the first boat cover since the paint was done on the boat. These little installs sure seem to take a lot of stuff to do them. Part by part we start putting it together and finding that we may have to take a few steps back. Fiberglassing stuff is back out. We finally get to look at our Volvo 280T transom shield. Some good and some bad. We are going to do our best and start with breaking it down and finding out what's needed to fix and if it will fit in the transom cut out. Getting things out of the garage. We need the space.

ejnichol

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nice work. Do you have the option to not use wood in a restore like this or is there no full synthetic that works in a place like stringers etcc.?

f_inscreenname

Commander
Nice work. Do you have the option to not use wood in a restore like this or is there no full synthetic that works in a place like stringers etcc.?
I never bothered with a (expensive) synthetics for a few reasons but mainly the wood (coring) really shouldn't be factor when it comes to strength of stringers. All the real strength comes from the glass its wrapped in. As an example the Nova 24 race boat had balsa for stringer coring. As for transoms, old habits die hard. The way I look at it the boat is 50+ years old and needs a transom. If the new plywood transom lasts 50 years I wont be doing it again. So it really comes down to cost and availability. I wouldn't reject it if I had it but with plywood already at $80+ a sheet my bank account cant afford much more when there is a whole boat is left to restore. As long as you don't punch a bunch of unsealed holes in the plywood you will never have an issue.

ejnichol

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I never bothered with a (expensive) synthetics for a few reasons but mainly the wood (coring) really shouldn't be factor when it comes to strength of stringers. All the real strength comes from the glass its wrapped in. As an example the Nova 24 race boat had balsa for stringer coring. As for transoms, old habits die hard. The way I look at it the boat is 50+ years old and needs a transom. If the new plywood transom lasts 50 years I wont be doing it again. So it really comes down to cost and availability. I wouldn't reject it if I had it but with plywood already at $80+ a sheet my bank account cant afford much more when there is a whole boat is left to restore. As long as you don't punch a bunch of unsealed holes in the plywood you will never have an issue.
If the wood stays dry it seems it would last indefinately. My previous two boats had plenty of wood and were always covered and thats a big part of it.

f_inscreenname

Commander
We have more boats then just this one project. As usual the weather dictates what we can do. Prepping and fitting the Volvo 280T transom shield. It will take a few different steps. A battery mystery in the Biese. Time to put the 280T shield in. Nail biting time. Once we get it in we can move on with completing it and a lot of other stuff. Time to go shopping in my own garage. We are even going to start working on some electrical and steering.