John Allmand - SuperNova19 video restore

f_inscreenname

Commander
Just started a restoration of a John Allmand Super Nova19 that had been chopped up (inside) and then left in the weeds for decades. The first thing I had to do is get it from MO to MD. Time to contact UShip....

Bondo

Staff member
Hi f_in,.... Long time, no see,..... here anyways,.....

I see yer posts at offshore occasionally,....

f_inscreenname

Commander
Hi f_in,.... Long time, no see,..... here anyways,.....

I see yer posts at offshore occasionally,....
What's up bro? Ya I have been off iboat (posting) for a while even though I have been in their store enough. I really haven't been on many boat forums at all after the majority of them focused their attention on their Bookface accounts. I don't do bookface.
Was in the iboat's store last night and it dawned on me that some of you may like to see the boat I'm rebuilding. From start to finish. I will post the other couple videos to catch you all up to current day this week. šŸ˜Ž

Bondo

Staff member
What's up bro? Ya I have been off iboat (posting) for a while even though I have been in their store enough. I really haven't been on many boat forums at all after the majority of them focused their attention on their Bookface accounts. I don't do bookface.
Was in the iboat's store last night and it dawned on me that some of you may like to see the boat I'm rebuilding. From start to finish. I will post the other couple videos to catch you all up to current day this week. šŸ˜Ž
Ayuh,...... Nor do I,....... ;)

I still Love watchin' yer videos,.... Kick azz rock, 'n, roll playin' in the background is a big plus,....

That's for postin' this one,......

f_inscreenname

Commander
To start the season we get new shoes on the race boat's trailer so we can move it because the way it is it's not going anywhere. We then do a little urban exploring into the 1972 John Allmand - Super Nova 19 and get to see what it looks like empty.

f_inscreenname

Commander
The John Allmand SuperNova Project. The weather is not being our friend but we are still chugging along on the John Allmand. Everything must go! Now we have to find room for everything we need to keep. This always is the worst time. Everything that is coming in for the boat along with what we are keeping and nothing can go in the boat. We move boats, pull the new 19 in the driveway and off it's trailer and go to work. Time for big changes. There is a lot of work. I would rather have to much then not enough but we have so much we may start calling this the "Take Away Project".

f_inscreenname

Commander
The project of taking 4 feet off the overall length of the trailer goes on to completion. At one point we even break out the welder. We then put the boat back on the trailer. There is a change of plans about taking the top off the boat next. We make more progress and then the weather makes us stop....almost. Last, we get a bunch of expensive boxes.

f_inscreenname

Commander
The John Allmand - Super Nova Project. With the trailer done for now It's time to start on the hull. The first thing we have to do is remove anything that has to go. The transom, parts of stringers, motor mounts, all of it and it's going to be a mess. Another expensive box arrives and it comes with a story. The weight we are removing is piling up.

f_inscreenname

Commander
First we spend some money and then start the transom install project. We are moving along and then I break a bone... but that's not going to stop us. It will take longer though.... This is all about wood and glass.

f_inscreenname

Commander
The weather is driving us nuts. One day it's 65 degrees and the next its 95. Really hard to make fiberglass resin kick off consistent. We continue to fill in the transom and then start the stringer project. There is a lot to replace and a lot of glass to put on them. And...then I screw up. A large bag of white powder shows up for the 1970's boat from Miami Florida and boy do we need it.

f_inscreenname

Commander
We have to cut our new transom for the Volvo 280T. Time to get out the laser and a whole lot of courage. We then do some more work to the outside of the transom. We will be back at it many times, I'm sure. With that done it time to move on to another major project. We have to see the gas tank which is under the deck.... and then we hit a snag, never put foam around a gas tank and other design flaws.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Looks like yer gainin' on it,.....

Was the crankshaft center line on the pattern you used,..??
How did you determine the prop shaft elevation below the keel, to place the cut-out in the transom,..??

The hull I did recently, I hemmed, 'n hawed 'bout how high, or low to go,....
I ended up goin' 1/2" higher than the Merc recommendation for the Bravo I'm usin',.....
I'm hopin' I don't have a prop blow-out problem, once I get to splash it,....:rolleyes:

f_inscreenname

Commander
With the deck removed it's time to take out the gas tank. It don't start off well or end well. The Awl tells all. What's up with the price of wood?? We solve a mystery. After days of rain we start on the deck. The storms come back and the property is hit again by lightening. My special bilge paint.

f_inscreenname

Commander
The weather dictates what can and cant be done. At least it will help with cleaning out the boat. The new gas tank comes in. Not a simple plug in and done. It took a rainy day to get it ready for install. In the process of the install we prepare for the future. Then it's time to put down some of the decking.

f_inscreenname

Commander
Time to put the fiberglass skin back down. Lots of prep work before it happens and lots of concrete patio blocks when it does. Four snobs show up looking for food. I poured half a quart of resin on my deck and it could have been the smartest thing I have done in a long time. We then cut out the motor box. It's complicated. We are always dancing around the weather but still making progress. And getting more deck down.

f_inscreenname

Commander
Kicking off Another Day trying to complete the deck. Thinking we have the wrong poly resin to do it. What we get from Home Depot and US Composites are two different worlds as we move on to our 15th gallon. We hit another milestone. We visit the engine room to see our new lip. We just cant let the Bondo / US Composites thing go. Building motor mounts. Adding a new trailer jack in the rain.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... I imagine you already know, but even up here in the far north, on hotter days, puttin' yer mix cup into a bigger pan filled with ice, can prolong the work time of yer resin mixes,.....

Lookin' Great though,..... ;)