John Allmand - SuperNova19 video restore

f_inscreenname

Commander
A lot of stuff has come in. The first thing we are going to do is get the rest of the Volvo 280T installed. Our MerCruiser Trim Pump location is decided for us. We have been watching Brazil wood boat boulders, lets build a dashboard. Oh-noooo, a beloved old faithful has died. Lightening lets us know it's always there. Steering, steering, steering....lots of issues.

f_inscreenname

Commander
The project goes on. Looks like we are forced to change our steering plans. Lots more wiring gets done and we start the hydraulics install and there is a lot of both to do. As usual the weather is killing us. In the garage we go to continue on with the dash board build.

f_inscreenname

Commander
We start off by working on the dashboard. Lots of holes. In the board, in the boat, lots of holes. Then we start to build the board it's self. An expensive board with a lot of expensive parts. Then the miles and miles of wiring begins. What to do for a horn?

f_inscreenname

Commander
After a bad start to the day we move on to installing steering in the boat. Have to make some custom trim pieces. Not as simple as they look. Then we find out we have some serious control issues. I hope we can find some help but it looks like we will get no support. Upholstery is always on our minds and hands. There is lots to do before we can do anything.

f_inscreenname

Commander
Getting what is left of the upholstery the hell out of my garage. The patterns helped but they were not perfect and we need perfect. Lots of loose end to tie up. My 19 takes a little time out of the project for some repairs of its own. Even though I have two SuperNova 19's they are a lot different. Got to keep them in mind for future builds. Finishing up some more electrics. The first Trim and electric test is a failure and then it rains again.

f_inscreenname

Commander
Let's get some life put back in this boat.... IT'S ALIVE!!!! I'll take stupid if it's easy but it's never easy. The trim system needs fixes. Lots of fixes. Once you get the electric's working everything changes. The Fuel Sender has to be changed after all of our planning. With no leaks did we finally finish a project? We start to take control of the project with the Uflex Controller install. A better way to extend a Volvo Penta transom shield tiller. The boat has "keys". Back to wet sanding again if only for a little while. The box I have been waiting for comes in...... It's big!!! With a great story. Time to rebuild the bellhousing.

f_inscreenname

Commander
We start off with the Volvo bellhousing. Even though it is perfect in every way we have major changes to do. Trying to finish off the gas tank / gas gauge install. Why does our Faria Tach have a Speedometer face? Parts are in, time to rebuild a Volvo Penta Bellhousing and add a way to grease the bearing from the outside. With the season over it's time to strip some parts off my Nova 19 and put them in the new Nova19. I am dreading it, but it has to be done.

f_inscreenname

Commander
The Volvo bellhousing is complete, but we have nothing to do with it this week. Time to "pop a mold" off of my motor box. I've never done this before, and we start off bad with a mold release fail. It's against my better judgement but we continue on to the point we are building something. Now we are worried about getting what we built off my motor box. Now we are back to breaking things. By the end we are on our way to having the missing link.

f_inscreenname

Commander
We are where we were 10 days ago and we could not be happier. Now that we have the mold it's time to fix the mold. The first stop is to our grinding room with a view. A rare Race Boatism, make someone else's artwork your own. It took a couple days but we got the mold good enough start building. The first thing is the dreaded release agent. Going as far as we can until we run out of stuff. Our replacement Faria Tach comes in for the Tach with a Speedometer face while we are waiting for things to dry.

f_inscreenname

Commander
We continue to build the motor box layer by layer. Day after day. Lucky the wife is out of town because this place is starting to smell like a boat builders shop. We are just hoping we have something to work with under that huge monstrosity and there is only one way to find out. Time to do some cutting, pulling and yanking. After spending a week building it the mold is now in 15 pieces. We continue on building and fixing and fixing and fixing.

f_inscreenname

Commander
Mother nature lets us know we are its mercy as we continue the motor box build. It seemed like we started off on the wrong foot and it just got worse from there. First, we have to prep the box for paint. We keep moving forward no matter what by prepping what we could and when the rains came, we wet sanded, it's time to paint and then the water drops appear. As we keep going things just get worse and worse. Time for drastic measures.

f_inscreenname

Commander
After a week of failure, we continue on with the motor box project. Time to make it sweat...for real. We are pushed into a corner and have to paint it even if it's just to leave it sit until Spring. Mother Nature tries to sabotage it all at the very end, but we may have got one past her for a change. After our small victory we take a day to do some fun stuff. Then back to the motor box for another victory over our paint job. Now it's time to flip it over and paint the inside....

f_inscreenname

Commander
Things are moving a little slower due to the cold, but we are moving along. Time to put the motor cover together finally. We start with the fiberglass edging. It's stiff but a heat gun will make it bend like butter and the cold keeps the rest pretty stiff not allowing it to stretch out of shape. An unexpected win, win! Get the rest on the box and then we get to put it in the boat for the final time.... we hope. Then the real fun starts with installing it in the boat. Drilling holes and installing hinges. Once we install it we got a little lost after such a big project but with a little focus we get moving in a new direction, trim and upholstery. One last project before it gets to cold outside to work on it.

f_inscreenname

Commander
With some quick measurements in the cold we head back in the garage to tie up some loose ends. From trim pieces to battery lines we are all over the place. It's time to get a plan together for the upholstery and there is lots of issues to figure out. We are also working on a plan for the power plant and doing nothing but running into dead ends for the missing parts. Just doing anything we can outside before we can't no longer.

f_inscreenname

Commander
Time to start digging out some of the things that make this boat go. It starts off with the Gen V Warter pump / fuel pump nightmare. Just a small taste at the start with no clue what was to come. We get out my back up Volvo 270 Outdrive. There is a really cool and weird story on how I ended up with it and what we did with it but when done (imho) it's one of the strongest Volvo 270's made by dumb luck or divine intervention. It just happens to be the wrong color so its time for a repaint. Upholstery is starting to pile up and we are still waiting on more. Then the Chevy 454 enters the room. Last the water pump / fuel pump nightmare starts to get really bad.

f_inscreenname

Commander
The Gen V water pump / fuel pump blues continue. Time for some major mods. So happy to at least have a stick welder. With the 454 out from under the shelf we start making orders to complete it and as they start coming in, we start building. You would think it would be a simple task, but everything seems to be fighting us. If I could just order the right stuff and then it make it here without damage. Socketless fittings and hose, what a great invention.

f_inscreenname

Commander
We start off our week with an exploding water heater. Which seems to happen on a regular basis. Then we have to pick the motor up so we can change the oil before we spin the oil pump. Harder than you would think. More issues with the Gen V - Raw Water Pump / Fuel Pump set up. Nothing has gone right so far so we expect nothing else. Really rethinking an electric fuel pump. Why are marine motors against PCV systems? Parts start coming in, but some are in really rough shape. Lots to fix and do.