It begins

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
Most strippers don't like the cold. :eek:
They're never really dressed for it are they?
It'll be cool here for a while yet, I guess I can cut floors and transom. Maybe coat them in my basement. I have no heat in my garage so it looks like my stripping career is on hold for a while.

dozerII

Admiral
Ya do definitly want it above 14c and it works best around 20c to use the paint stripper shouldn't be more than a couple weeks.:rolleyes:

hayko1971

Ya do definitly want it above 14c and it works best around 20c to use the paint stripper shouldn't be more than a couple weeks.:rolleyes:
I can find plenty to do while I wait on the temperatures. I`ve got a pile of foam and old seats that I need to haul out of the other half of the garage yet too.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
All the foam removed, now I need to wait for it to warm up a bit so I can pressure wash it out and strip the paint. Then pun the Gluvit on. You can see ice in the bottom of the hull. I hope that hasn't popped and rivets loose.

If a tiny bit of ice like that popped apart these boats rivets I would become an itchy, twitchy glasser lover. :lol:​

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
lookin like progress to me Hayko.

And to think I get mad at overcast and drizzle rain. I thought it was too cold for stripping when it was in the 50's here at night. :facepalm:. It worked, but warmer weather did strip it a lot faster. Then I was wishing it was cooler outside. Cant win.

hayko1971

20150325_193228_zpsqbzjrggo.jpg

My birthday present will really work my rivet gun well, and the paint gun that I don't have yet!

Watermann

Oh yeah scoring a new tool or piece of equipment is always a great day, even if it means your a year older.

hayko1971

Is spruce exterior ply good for transom and floors? The lumber yard guy has never heard of the arauco plywood that I read so many use.

dozerII

Admiral
I only use good one side fir, it stronger and much less warped than spruce.

hayko1971

oops yes, I think he said it was fir. My mix up. I'm not much of a wood guy LOL

hayko1971

Hmmm... Can't seem to edit my previous post... Searching the Internet, I'm not so sure what he told me it was now. Looks like I'm getting forgetful,I really should write things besides price down lol. It was the best exterior good one Sid ether had that wasn't marine plywood... Anyways, I'm going to make sure to get fir. It seems to be the best choice.
I may even spring for one sheet of marine ply for the transom...

jbcurt00

Staff member
The Edit feature times out, after an hour I think

Edit your most recent post, and add what post you want changed (or use the quote button to quote the post you want changed, and do the edits to the quoted text)

I'll edit your previous post to make whatever changes you want, then I'll delete your 'please edit my post' post

If you think a post needs to be edited, PM a Mod the change request, one of us will make the changes for you.

hayko1971

Well, waiting on the weather to warm up and for Gluvit to arrive. Today I patched the screw holes left from the snaps that I removed from the gunnels.

I hit the holes with a larger size bit to create a bowl for the jb weld to set in. Then I backed the holes with foil tape and filled with jb weld.
Rough sand and I'm pretty happy with them. The gunnels will get a good going over before paint or whatever I decide to do to them.
Cheers guys!

hayko1971

i also picked up 6 pieces of 2x8 1inch blue foam board from the local restore place. It's a start, but I'm struggling with a layout for the foam. I hope I can lay it out so it supports the floor. Ideas are definatly welcome!

Watermann

You're lucky, man I had 70+ holes in EACH gunnel of my Chief that I had to repair, took me a week to fix them all.

I know the hull design and shape is different between your SC and my SN but here is what I did. Yes it was very time consuming to cut each piece but that boat isn't going to ever sink with all that foam in her belly. I used a skill saw with the blade turned around backwards to cut the stuff, took an entire weekend but well worth it for a smaller boat.

IMAG0382.jpg

hayko1971

You're lucky, man I had 70+ holes in EACH gunnel of my Chief that I had to repair, took me a week to fix them all.

I know the hull design and shape is different between your SC and my SN but here is what I did. Yes it was very time consuming to cut each piece but that boat isn't going to ever sink with all that foam in her belly. I used a skill saw with the blade turned around backwards to cut the stuff, took an entire weekend but well worth it for a smaller boat.

IMAG0382.jpg

That looks like a very solid method, it should support any deck! I may give that a go, I'm not sure how to get the curve of the hull, but maybe close enough will do...I could maybe build it taller and cut it down... Hmmm, a plan is coming to me now. Thank you for the inspiration!

hayko1971

Did you glue the pieces together? Or are they just stacked in there?

Jigginglow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I used a skill saw with the blade turned around backwards to cut the stuff, took an entire weekend but well worth it for a smaller boat.

IMAG0382.jpg

If you want an alternative to this method, google hot wire cutter and there are some simplistic homemade ideas to accomplish this. This is an example I found. It works really well with sheet material if you can rig up some kind of fence like you would have with a table saw.
image.jpg1_23.jpg