It begins

dozerII

Admiral
Minnkota Ipilot is the way to go, if you stay with 55lbs of thrust you only need one battery. In my opinion two batts and the T/M are too much weight in the bow of a 16. [h=1]Minn Kota PowerDrive V2 Bow-Mount Trolling Motors with Pre-Installed i-Pilot Wireless Trolling System 55lb thrust 54"shaft[/h]

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
Minnkota Ipilot is the way to go, if you stay with 55lbs of thrust you only need one battery. In my opinion two batts and the T/M are too much weight in the bow of a 16. [h=1]Minn Kota PowerDrive V2 Bow-Mount Trolling Motors with Pre-Installed i-Pilot Wireless Trolling System 55lb thrust 54"shaft[/h]

Thanks Glen, thats pretty much just what I was thinking, that or a motorguide Xi5 with pinpoint, but the Powerdrive v2 would be less money. and yes, I would like to keep it at 12 volts for one battery.

dozerII

Admiral
Thanks Glen, thats pretty much just what I was thinking, that or a motorguide Xi5 with pinpoint, but the Powerdrive v2 would be less money. and yes, I would like to keep it at 12 volts for one battery.

I have now owned both a Minnkota and a Motor guide and there is quality difference between the two with Minnkota taking top honors in my opinion.

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
super splash and excellent work , hayco . i have book marked your thread for future ideas, thanks

hayko1971

I have now owned both a Minnkota and a Motor guide and there is quality difference between the two with Minnkota taking top honors in my opinion.

Noted, I do belive I'll end up with Minn Kota, simply because of the availability of parts etc, it seems their stuff is everywhere and that sort of makes sense to me.

hayko1971

Well I ended up going with Motorguide. I got the Xi5 with pinpoint gps. I like what I've read about their anchor and jog features which were the main reasons for wanting a gps equipped unit in the first place. Once I compared the prices of replacement parts, like remotes (in case one goes for a swim or a walk) I was sold. I may have gotten too much motor at 80lb thrust, but from my experiences, it makes sense to have it and not use it than to need it and it not have it. And if my boat one day suddenly grows, I'll be equipped.
I plan to mount the batteries under the port side bow seat, the admirals favorite perch. With her, two batteries and fuel on the port side and me on the starboard side, we should pretty much even out lol.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Awesome job. I can only hope my restore will look that good. Glad you posted the pic of the knee brace repair, now I know how to do mine.

hayko1971

Awesome job. I can only hope my restore will look that good. Glad you posted the pic of the knee brace repair, now I know how to do mine.

Thank you Candutch! I owe it all to those here who've done it before me. The guys here and threads on previous builds made it possible to do.

hayko1971

got my trolling motor all wired up, it is absolutely excellent, I love it! The anchor feature is all I hoped from it.

hayko1971

I repurposed some door hooks to hook my bumpers to. This allows me to place them anywhere I want by hooking under the gunwale.

hayko1971

Added my badge to my steering wheel and installed some flip up tables. The tables came off of some uncomfortable folding chairs, the Admirals idea!

hayko1971

Oh yeah, I patched up that screw hole in my transom skin that I missed. I had not a drop enter my boat this time out!

dozerII

Admiral
Looks real good Rob, some great ideas you have for the completion details.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Nice mods!! The console is really sharp! :thumb:

That table looks really sturdy the way it's rigged-up! Beefy-enough for a bait-prep table (i.e. scaling & hacking-up big gizzard shad) and is it removable for cleaning?

hayko1971

Nice mods!! The console is really sharp! :thumb:

That table looks really sturdy the way it's rigged-up! Beefy-enough for a bait-prep table (i.e. scaling & hacking-up big gizzard shad) and is it removable for cleaning?

The tables are not removable, I didnt even think of that... hmmm now you got me thinking...

Decker83

Commander
The trolling motor is awesome.. I really like the table, was a great ideal.. Got me thinking on that one.
It just keeps getting better and better..

hayko1971

I officially (well officially for me) clocked myself at 45 mph with the gps on my phone (actual gps/Glonass chip, not triangulated with cell towers) unfortunately, my phone was also my camera that time out so I have no pic of the screen.
I have ordered a depth finder/gps combo that should arrive sometime this week, so I'll snap a shot of the speed on that once installed. I did manage to snap some pics of my flip up tables in action though! I think they are one of my favorite mods so far. However I had the remote control for my trolling motor hanging from a lanyard around my neck and caught it on the edge of the port side table. 2nd time out with the new trolling motor and I broke the clip that the lanyard ties to. Oh well JB weld fixed it right up.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Looks great out on thew water, glad you had some good weather this weekend. :thumb:

Yeah I knew that 16'r would fly with a 90 stacked on the back. I'm thinking that 6 gal tank goes pretty darn quick. :lol: