Is this trailer repairable?

jonny rotten

Petty Officer 1st Class
Entire trailer is completely solid except the area between the red marks on both sides. Dual axle roller trailer seems a shame to toss it

Attachments

• 20240509_083544.jpg
    20240509_083544.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 46
  • 20240509_083301.jpg
    20240509_083301.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 46
  • 20240509_083208.jpg
    20240509_083208.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 46

cyclops222

Petty Officer 1st Class
Take the trailer to several welding shops for price estimates at no cost.
Do NOT allow any welding or cutting with the boat on the trailer !!!!!!!!!!!

We all know the rust is probably going to keep spreading ? How fast ?
I certainly would be looking for a different trailer.

Dubed

Petty Officer 1st Class
First crossmember is also rotted. Most likely its the entire structure but hasnt come all the way through yet in other areas

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
That looks bad, you know I have perused a few trailer company catalogs and the pieces you can't buy, are the frame rails. For example you can buy just about everything else from a company like Load Rite (tongues, crossmembers, brackets etc) but not that. I guess they don't want you building your own trailer! I don’t know if there are trailer parts junkyards where you can pick thru parts like that….

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
It's new trailer time. Next trailer, make sure it's C channel instead of box channel.

Bondo

Staff member
Entire trailer is completely solid except the area between the red marks on both sides. Dual axle roller trailer seems a shame to toss it
Ayuh,..... Fixin' that wagon will be like tryin' to polish a turd,....
That's a pile of parts,....
Looks like a saltwater used trailer, that wasn't rinsed, 'n always parked level, rather than nose up,....

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Some do not have drain holes in them.-----And some are made with cheapest steel tubing.----Get a new trailer as that is junk !

Scott06

Vice Admiral
you could have that section replaced by welding shop but willing to bet it is rusting from inside out and that is not the only section. If you take a pick hammer bet you can punch through in a bunch of places.

Rust is like a iceberg you only see the tip.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Got rid of my last trailer for the same, but not as bad, thing

The bottom eaten out isn't so bad.
The side eaten out is really bad.........

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Helped a neighbor build a trailer about 30 years ago.----Did all the welding on it.----Saw it with the same 24' boat on it about 4 years ago.-----Still as strong as when it was made.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
EZLoader does have replacement Parts, mainly for Warranty, but in your Case, just replace the Trailer. Less Headache, and might even be less expensive

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Also depends on how far you travel with it.----Trouble 1 mile from home is easier / cheaper to deal with than trouble 200 miles from home.

cyclops222

Petty Officer 1st Class
A real risk at 70 MPH on a crowded Interstate. The strength of the boat hull is connecting the Hitch Front section to the rear section.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
A real risk at 70 MPH on a crowded Interstate. The strength of the boat hull is connecting the Hitch Front section to the rear section.
No, simply the Friction of the Bunks/Rollers against the Hull

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
no way i would trust a trailer with that much rust in that area to be on the road with a boat on it .
even welded up it will be a bit iffy as to where it would possibly snap in an emergency situation , as posted it may not be seen but there is a good chance there is more further rust in that frame.

i say strip the frame scrap it , find a better used one with a good frame with worn running gear and build one out of 2 if that's your budget , or go new if you have the means .

a70eliminator

Captain
Thats some pretty bad rot....however, if its just that frame rail and the rest is decent certainly an experieced welder could cut out that section and sister in a new piece.

matt167

Captain
That appears to be galvanized. Very few people are going to want to weld it if it could possibly be repaired. I’d call it junk