Is this trailer repairable?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have a pile of fenders and bunk brackets sitting in the shed from 3 trailers that had less rust than shown in post #1. once you start checking. the whole trailer needs to be replaced.

you will find the port side and cross members will be nearly as bad. by the time you get to the end of repairing, you will have just built a new trailer.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I read something suggesting that galvanization isn’t as good as it used to be (EPA regs?) The frame on my 30 year old Load Rite is still solid….

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I read something suggesting that galvanization isn’t as good as it used to be (EPA regs?)
On the contrary, processes and chemistries have improved significantly in the past 30 years. As has the quality of the underlying steel.

Some of the cleaners and rinses have gotten a bit more environmentally friendly but any thing is friendlier than what was norm 30 years ago

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You can buy quality steel and there is lots of junk steel on the market as well.-----All made to customer specification with PRICE / COST in mind.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
You can buy quality steel and there is lots of junk steel on the market as well.-----
Steel "quality" is not understood by many people....lol

Bear in mind, "bad pours" don't make it out of the melt shop. Down grades are the result of downstream processing errors and or physical damage.

What is your definition of "junk" steel?

Steel is graded at the Mill as follows:

Prime:
High quality steel without any defects. It is made to order by producers or purchased from stockholder's inventory. Prime steel includes full mill certification since it has passed all manufacturing inspections.

Excess Prime:
Surplus steel that is leftover for various reasons but is otherwise perfectly usable and possibly even of high quality. Obtained due to an over-order, "shorts", canceled orders, overstocked, etc..

Secondary:
Ideal for applications that don't require the stringent quality controls that prime metal does. A few dings or aesthetic flaws don't matter when your material is getting painted, coated, or going non-visible application.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I used to work in a precision machine shop.-----Drawings often have notes added.-----Buddy said that they now see -----" no material sourced from China is to be used " on the list.-----Domestic products are made by folks sticking to the code.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I used to work in a precision machine shop.-----Drawings often have notes added.-----Buddy said that they now see -----" no material sourced from China is to be used " on the list.-----
I too was into machining. Ran the machine and fab shop for 10 years.
Left the position to manage the newly created Mechanical Design Department.

I will not go into the politics of said notes........I'll just say, remember when anything and everything Japanese was "junk" as well?

Domestic products are made by folks sticking to the code.
As does everyone else world wide.

Material inspection is comprehensive and extensive. Scrutinized down to the molecular level.

I will not get into the physics of how the equipment works, but its physically impossible to vary from "code" and still pass downstream inspection.

If there is any doubt, my former employer markets a hand held device to confirm compliance to "code" right on the spot.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I remember an inspector coming into my work area.----Asked for samples of parts I was assembling.----Said they were going to a laboratory to see if the material ( stainless ball bearing ) was actually what the box said it was.----One part made in the shop was made from material supplied by the customer.----Customer made sure the material was what they needed for the part to work as designed.----

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I remember an inspector coming into my work area.----Asked for samples of parts I was assembling.----Said they were going to a laboratory to see if the material ( stainless ball bearing ) was actually what the box said it was.----One part made in the shop was made from material supplied by the customer.----Customer made sure the material was what they needed for the part to work as designed.----
No need to run to the lab anymore.....
Hand held device mentioned earlier......

Measurement demo starts at the 8:00 mark

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Back on topic guys..... the rusted out trailer.

we can talk MTR's and XRF guns in the dock side chat forum

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Johnny, The issue that you identified can easily be repaired, however, if the trailer has more extensive rust, as experience shows us, the best plan is to replace it.

Masonry supply and other places have thick and strong angle iron. That could be bolted or welded to fix that one area. That obviously only works if the rest of the trailer is sound.