Is this cover good enough?

sycostang67

Seaman Apprentice
Getting ready to winterize and store the boat(on a trailer) for the first time. It came with a generic canvas/fabric style boat cover. Is this enough to keep it dry inside, should I add a tarp above/below to help. I had planned to have it shrink wrapped but I'm losing one of my jobs next month so we are in savings mode until everything settles after that.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
I always add a tarp on top of the boat cover. Cheap insurance. The fabric can develop pinholes and leak into the boat. After you think it is all set for the winter, take a garden hose and soak it down. See if the water pools anywhere. If it doesn't hold up to a garden hose, it is not going to hold up to mother nature.

Rinker85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I always add a tarp on top of the boat cover. Cheap insurance. The fabric can develop pinholes and leak into the boat. After you think it is all set for the winter, take a garden hose and soak it down. See if the water pools anywhere. If it doesn't hold up to a garden hose, it is not going to hold up to mother nature.

I did that one year. I put a tarp over the boat cover. But the boat cover was ruined by spring because of the condensation build up between the two covers. I now take the boat cover off an use a heavy duty tarp. I also pull the snow off the tarp after every storm.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
If you want a good cover you need to spend the $$$ for a custom made cover. The generic covers do not fit well and leave a lot to be desired. In addition you need to have braces or supports or what ever you want to call them under the cover to prop it up and support it. Without, water and/or snow will pool on the cover and leak into the boat. Your boat is an expensive investment, you need to spend some $$$ to protect it.

ziggy

Admiral
Is this enough to keep it dry inside
imho, if the cover is serviceable (not wore out), i think it can be.
If you want a good cover you need to spend the $$$ for a custom made cover.
this is likely true. but me personally, i've never had that much money. so i've stayed with aftermarket generic covers.
you need to have braces or supports or what ever you want to call them under the cover to prop it up and support it. Without, water and/or snow will pool on the cover and leak into the boat.
this is for sure true.

i've had 5 or six covers for my boat since i got it 12 years ago. i started with the 300-400 dollar type generic covers. they lasted from about 3-4 years. the last of those years of service, the covers were degraded and didn't work well, ie. leaked.

i've since gone to $100 covers from menards. i'm getting 2-3 years out of these covers.

as far as fit goes. i'm using a 21' cover on a 19' boat. reason for this is i have a hardtop which makes my need for wide beam necessary.

imho, the statement that you need support poles is critical. you have to make a tent out of the cover. no low spots at all. however you achieve this is up to you.

i also remove the snow off my cover right after each snow. if it's gonna be ice, i do use two covers. though not a tarp. i use the last non serviceable cover i have on hand. after the ice storm, i'll remove the top cover leaving behind my best cover i'm using to protect my boat.

in conclusion, i'm fine with aftermarket covers that are serviceable. you just need to support it proper (most important). you need to do some care over the winter to keep the cover clean, clear of snow and ice. i've had good results with this method. i do try hard to keep my 43 year old boat (that is pretty darn nice inside and out) in good shape. so i want to keep it this way. though i want to do it as cheap as possible as i'm not a rich boater. and i think it can be done with a cheaper cover.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I would cover the fabric cover with the vinyl tarp but allow an airspace between where possible to allow circulation. Build a good frame underneath to keep any water, ice or snow from pooling.

sycostang67

Seaman Apprentice
My sister has a friend who makes custom boat covers and gives a 20 year warranty on them. I plan on going that route next year, but with my job situation we are trying to hang onto all we can until things settle. I'll take a closer look at the cover we have and get some tent poles built for it. If things smooth out soon enough I may still get it shrink wrapped.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
As stated, support underneath is important. Once a puddle forms, it needs attention right away. If a puddle constantly occurs, the cover will form a permanent concave attitude. You can make supports out of a lot of things. 2x4's, pool noodles, beach balls, blow up pool tubes, etc.

Another way to protect your boat is to build an "A" frame over the whole boat with a tarp covering the "A" frame. My brother-in-law does this and he uses the same setup every year. Two "A" pieces for bow/stern with one piece across the top. Any snow or rain just runs off since its a very steep angle. He can still get in there to work on his boat. So, you can use your existing cover and have the "A" frame over the whole thing.