Is the End near?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
This is my first attempt at a poll, so please bear with me. The question is a simple yes or no. But I am really looking forward to the comments following.<br /><br />St. John and Nostradamus refer to events leading up to the end of the world from visions they had. Are we witnessing these events right here in our lifetime?

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Is the End near?

I'm not a religious scholar, But I have studied the bible, mainly the book of Revalation. What got me to reading revalations was while I was reading the "Left Behind" books. <br /><br />According to the Bible in Revalations certain things have to happen before the end is here. I could go on and on but you need to read it for yourself. Don't just read it study it aswell.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

voted no ... <br /><br />There will be worse to come I believe. Much worse...<br /><br />Our future generations will be heavily burdened far further than we are today, tomarrow and for years to come... <br /><br />According to the Hebrew scripts (not the translations) and the social disdain we feel as a societiy (in the christian community) at this point... I'm "guessing" the "theif in the night" isn't going to dawn his robe for many years..<br /><br />but,... who knows !?

SoulWinner

Commander

I don't believe in Nostradamus, but I do believe the bible. I think we are in the end times. I have heard the end times preached from several different perspectives, 7th Day Adventists to full Gospel Assembly to independant Baptists, and I think YHVH will return in my life time. Sure I could be wrong, but like the story of the 12 virgins, I want to have my oil for the lamp and be ready for the groom.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

No.. The rogue asteroid is'nt going to take us out anytime soon.....

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don't know about that, but do know that there is nothing we can do about it, so why dwell on it, be happy.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Be Happy... Darn right!<br /><br />So, SBN just what are your little buddies tellin ya about the rogue asteroids? Something we need to know? :confused:

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Lets see, we are breeding and consuming resources at an alarming rate. Can there be any other alternative to some sort of nasty ending? I beleive there is an end coming. Be it biblical or otherwise, humanity will be in for a rough ride. Probably not in our lifetimes, but you just never know. Wacky weather, wacky people, its all spiraling....

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Of course! I have plans to drill for crude in my front yard, I am building an old-technology coal burning powerplant for my house, and I have replaced the gas pedal in my truck with an on-off switch for decreased economy. :)

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm neither a scholar of the Bible or Nostradamus and am at times very sceptical of both (especially the latter). However, while things seem bad now, there have always been events in the news and history that seem like this is the beginning of the end. Consider...<br /><br />Prior the industrial revolution, we didn't have the ability to produce the war machines of mass destruction. However, there was plenty of evil activity going aaround. Consider things like slavery, genocide, massacres, racism, nationalism, colonialism and other activities common in pre-modern history.<br /><br />In the 1910s we had World War I, I'm sure this seemed like the beginning of the end to folks at this time.<br /><br />In the 1930s, the great depression must of seemed like the wrath of God coming down upon humanity.<br /><br />In the 1940s, World War II and all its evil. Nazism, genocide, and the dawn of the nuclear age. Tell me folks weren't counting the days to the end back then.<br /><br />In the 1950's -1980's - the Cold War brougt a real threat of the possibility of the end. Ultimately, we made it through.<br /><br />In the 1970's- present Middle Eastern terrorism is the great threat. Yes it is a formidable threat but one I believe can be dealt with.<br /><br />I believe the various predicitions of gloom and doom are based on highly subjective interpretations. Is the world more evil than it has been over history, in some ways yes, however, in many ways no. My point is that throughout hisory there have always been activities that seem to indicate we have reached some new low point in the overall state of humanity. I also believe that men (at least most of them) are basically good. I think the forces of good will always outweigh the forces of evil and will ultimately prevail without devine intervention. Thats my .02. <br /><br />On that note... Happy Thanksgiving everyone

McGR

Hey Soul Winner - tell us more about the twelve virgins thing. Maybe this end of the world thing ain't so bad after all. You might even convert me over to the doomsday cult. :D :D

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ditto to what SBN and Snapper said.<br /><br />I'm an optimist :) and mankind has already survived an awful lot of things, over a very long period of time.

McGR

Jason, nonetheless, you'll continue to run the "tower of power" the further accelerate our demise.... right? .... Just kidding - I run an old fuel slurping pig myself. Couldn't resist. :)

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I don't think we are currently seeing the worst things we've ever seen, there have been worse times than now and there will be much worse. There will be better and worse before we get to the worst. I think we're looking at another couple of millenium ahead of us, but will freely admit I may be wrong.<br /><br />SW, I agree with you, best to be ready either way. I think the reason it isn't clear when the end is coming is because we're always supposed to be looking for it.

Homerr

Commander

I'm with SBN.<br /><br />No sense getting worked up about it. Live each day as it comes. Enjoy it while you're here!<br /><br />H.

RedRangerVIP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dwelling on the end of the world is like closing the gate after the horse already got out! It's a waste of time. I live life one day at a time. Just my opinion on the matter. And I do believe in God. I too am a optimist. <br />Happy Thanksgiving! :) :)

Link

Rear Admiral

Bible Thumpers have been screaming the end is near since the begining of the written word.. maybe even before. <br />I'd rather hear what SBN's little buddies have to say about it.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

i voted no, but should've not voted. Only God knows.

FLATHEAD

Captain

I dont agree about the oil. Sure it is a finite resource, but so is water. I say water and the lack of it will be a clear indication of the end of times for humanity.