is springbrok and springbok the same company

blackbeard

Cadet
as the title says . just wondering because i just bought a 89 16.6 springbok alum. bowrider,was just wondering

wbeaton

Commander
Re: is springbrok and springbok the same company

I think its a type-o. Springbok was a quality boat builder in Canada. They were purchased by ALCAN and were sistered with Princecraft boats until the early 1990's when they decided to drop the Springbok line in favour of Princecraft. Princecraft still builds quality boats.

Springboks are still highly favoured by many today. I have four 12-14' Princecraft and Springbok boats from the 1950's-1980's. All are great boats.

blackbeard

Cadet

hello i too am from hamilton!
i bought a 89 16.6 springbok alum. bowrider .thanks for the info about the princecraft this i did not know . have only had the boat out once in the bay it didnt sink.lol. hope to have a good season with it ,im in the process of taking seats out and replacing but everything else seems in reasonable shape.

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer

Springbrok - Springbok. Kind of reminds me of transmission fluid, Dextron - Dexron. Funny how people see letters that aren't there.
Any how, I have the same boat but mine's an 87. They are indeed a quality boat. Ive been looking on the net for specs but cant find any. Specifically I would like to know the weight of the boat without motor or fuel etc.
Check your PMs blackbeard.

markk900

Seaman Apprentice

AEROCOOK and Blackbeard - I just bought an 84 or 85 Marlin Supreme just like the one in your avatar - with an 85 Johnson 75. Would love to see photos of the interior of yours....

Haven't had it in the water yet - will be used mostly in the Minden area. Any advice for a first time owner?

Mark

markk900

Seaman Apprentice

Oh yeah - since I was asking for photos here are some of mine....

IMG_0969.jpg

IMG_0970.jpg

IMG_0971.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg

IMG_0973.jpg

Mark

rcmickey

Seaman

Gentlemen thanx for the info on the Springboks. I just pick up a 1991 19.6 Princecraft Springbok. I have never come accross one of these but was looking for a new used boat and I could not pass it up. I paid $1800 for the boat, trailer and two Mariner outboards. I also got two down-riggers and three fish-finders. The boat is in good condition it was sitting for about two years so its preaty dirty. I just got it home today and we have not been out in yet. Aluminum boats are not too popular down here in Florida. So I'm sure I will hear it from my friends. Thnx Again.....

markk900

Seaman Apprentice

Sounds like a nice deal - have you got pictures? We were specifically looking for aluminum as we have a very rocky lake and wanted the boat to be able to take a little bit of abuse - I suppose there isn't much in the way of rocks where you are!

Further to my earlier posts - have had the boat out several times - canvas is no longer water tight so it leaks quite a bit in rain, and condensation is awful when its not raining, but it does provide some protection. Covers off the boat is wonderful.

I'm new to this size/style boat, but I am surprised how little up trim I give it once its on a plane - first major line on the trim gage. If I go any higher I get a pretty severe porpoising which goes away as soon as I trim down.....

Anyway, love to see photos of your new acquisition.

Mark

blackbeard

Cadet

i keep forgetting to check the springbok forum its great to see other owners posting . im not sure how to post pics but i will figure it out when i return from temagamii mid aug. with a 70hp merc on my gps i can get it to go 34 mph in some chop , on a smooth lake it only seems to want to do 32mph dono why. i been trying to take as much weight out of it as possible removed back to back seats bow mount motor which was heavyer then i thought it would be allthough i left the 2 deep cell batts for the motor i removed, i kept the batts to charge my toys ( laptop ipod radio gps) but im still thinkin of taking 1 of them out as well dont think i need 2.

i noticed in markk900s post that ther is 2 holes and a line kinda scratched in in the consloe side my boat has this as well i thought it was something the po did to boat, what r the holes for? and i like the floor mounted fish finder .oh yea thanks for the pics hope to see more from other owners and mods you all may have done

markk900

Seaman Apprentice

Blackbeard - glad you checked back in! Can't wait to see what yours looks like....

The two holes and the line is where there used to be a vinyl covered pad - the PO must have lost it when he recovered some of the panels (dark grey original on the console side, light beige on the other side)....

With the 75 Johnson my GPS has shown 32mph on a fairly smooth lake but I am not sure I had it trimmed well enough.....

Mark

AEROCOOK

Hi guys. Nice pics, I thought this post was dead!
I have several pictures of mine but the file sizes are too big to post, dont know if my camera is the problem but all my pictures are around 1.25 MB?? Anyway, mine is identical to yours Mark except I dont have the convertible top.
I have a well tuned 1988 Johnson 110hp hiding under a 90hp cowl (max rating for the boat) and last time out I hit 40 mph on GPS with 3 tanks of fuel, 2 kids and myself on board. I know it's got a little more because that was with my 17p prop and just as I hit 64 km an hour I had to back off as I was running out of lake.
Im going out by myself next time with 1 tank of fuel and my 19p prop to see what I can get out of her, and oh yeah, the hole shot is amazing, it planes out in about 3 seconds flat.
The holes you guys are talking about are from a vinyl covered padded panel that was once there, mine are still attached. BTW Mark I'm on Doe Lake in the Burks Falls area, not that far from you.

markk900

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Aerocook - great to hear from you! you could try posting your pics to photobucket or flickr and then linking to them in the posts (that's what I did!)....then file size doesn't matter.

What kind of cover do you use? I picked up one from CTC that just barely fits but it does keep the water out (which is more than I can say for the canvas!).

On a cruise last time out on our lake, we passed a cottage with an identical boat/motor combo - except obviously first owner since it looked almost new!! They weren't around but next time I want to drop in - I am still looking for interior shots to see what is different with mine....

technical question - my tach stops working intermittently (not a big deal) - I've check wiring and nothing seems wrong but the needle just drops to 0 for a while, then pops right back to where it should be. I am assuming a tach problem and not a sender issue but thought I'd ask....

Glad the post isn't dead yet....I love finding out about things that are, ahem, past their prime.....

Mark

AEROCOOK

Hi Mark.
I did the flickr account thing but Im not very tech savy, I dont know what the next step is??
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aerocook/sets/72157621908570607/detail/

I think I did it!!
The picture with the blue seat covers was taken this year, the rest are from last summer. I got the seat covers from Cabelas through the mail, they are much nicer to sit on than the vinyl when it's hot and they slip right off and go in the washing machine when they need to be cleaned. Good way to hide ratty looking seats too.

markk900

Seaman Apprentice

Yup - pictures are great - so I can now confirm my boat is pretty much stock other than the refloor/carpet and some of the vinyl....

I like the hatch in the floor as well - may put one of those in....

So what do you do when it rains and you're on the water? We throw up the top, but it leaks a fair amount and traps humidity so you can't see out the windshield. Also, do you find you take on much water in the bilge? I seem to get a bit after a high speed run - I'm looking for where the spray back against the boat is getting in...

Thanks for posting!

Mark

AEROCOOK

Yup - pictures are great - so I can now confirm my boat is pretty much stock other than the refloor/carpet and some of the vinyl....

I like the hatch in the floor as well - may put one of those in....

So what do you do when it rains and you're on the water? We throw up the top, but it leaks a fair amount and traps humidity so you can't see out the windshield. Also, do you find you take on much water in the bilge? I seem to get a bit after a high speed run - I'm looking for where the spray back against the boat is getting in...

Thanks for posting!

Mark

The floor hatch in mine is stock but perhaps it was an option or possibly a model year improvement thing. (mine is 1987) If yours has been refloored, maybe they just didnt re-install?
We typically only use the boat on nice days so getting caught in the rain has only happend once and I was less than a km from home so we just got a little wet that day. I bought one of those shower stall squeegie things to clear condensation off of the glass, it fits right in the glovebox and works great, I also apply RAIN-X (inside and outside) at least once a year and I find that helps a lot.
I dont take on any water at all, in fact I have to frequently test the automatic bilge pump just to make sure its working as it never has to turn on due to water entry.

markk900

Seaman Apprentice

Aerocook: yeah, mine was refloored so they probably deleted the hatch. I notice some detail differences on your windshield etc but otherwise the boats are identical.....mine is an 85 so that probably explains some of the changes. thanks for the tip on the squeegie - its funny - I have the manual windshield wiper but it isn't needed much, however inside the boat on a rainy day I could really use the help!

I don't have an automatic pump - I use the switch beside the steering wheel after every run and get a couple of quarts of water pumped out. Do you have a tach? My instrument panel has a tach and tilt gauge one over the other - yours doesn't.

Happy boating!

Mark

AEROCOOK

[ Do you have a tach? My instrument panel has a tach and tilt gauge one over the other - yours doesn't.

Happy boating!

Mark[/QUOTE]

That picture was from last year, I had the tach hooked up but it was in the side pocket at the time. I have since mounted it in the dash. Im thinking about finding a teak plank and making a new dash panel, I think it would look good with a coat of varnish. Funny story since we're on the topic of dash panels... I was using the steering wheel to sort of pull myself forward in the seat last weekend and the whole dash, steering wheel and all ripped off of the boat, I was going about 3/4 throttle at the time and it scared the hell out of me. I guess when I had the thing off to install the tach I didnt use long enough screws.

rcmickey

Seaman

Nice boats gents! Mine is a Princecraft Springbok Super Pro 196 with a 100HP Mariner main engine and a 20HP kicker. With it's light weight the 100 pushes it at about 35 on the GPS. Thats fast enough for me. I get a lot of strange looks from other boaters while cruising down the intercoastal water way here in South Florida. We dont see many big aluminum boats. Mostly aluminum skiffs and john boats in the Everglades. Anyway good to know I can get my Springbok fix here....thnx:D

markk900

Seaman Apprentice

RCM: I need pics! Can you post some shots of your boat - the avatar you use looks nice....

Mark

izoomie

Petty Officer 1st Class

Old thread, but it seems the canadians keep finding it. I just bought this 17' springbok with a 90 johnson on it. everyone seems to be looking for specs. has anyone found that yet?

springbok.jpg?