Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

Starkonian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That's barely cooler than we've been in the Bay area in California. We were down in the low 20's one night which is unheard of. Fish on...

Jiggyjay

Seaman
Jiggyjay, I had to join this forum just because I loved what everyone does here with this boat, I never thought you could do so much! I've been looking for something more portable and easier to take my dad out when I am able to fish with him. Hooking up a boat, docking etc became a pain(I know tuff life). I love your setup the most from what I have seen. Can you do a list of what you did? Thanks

Hey man sorry been busy with a new little one that just came. I'll try to do a video soon to show you what i'm pretty much doing with my mods. Are you looking into installing down riggers on yours?

midnitegsr

Recruit
Oh and heads up Amazon has the Mariner 4 for $190 shipped! get yourselves a backup!

I did see that, awesome deal! we don't plan on downrigging it. just using it on a small river near a very quiet dam. kind of rocky. how do you think this would be with a rocky bottom?

Starkonian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I did see that, awesome deal! we don't plan on downrigging it. just using it on a small river near a very quiet dam. kind of rocky. how do you think this would be with a rocky bottom?

Fine, as long as you don't hit the rocks. A river raft this is not.

Jiggyjay

Seaman
Yeah like stark said don't try and hit the rocks. Think weakest link of this boat is its floor I mean it can take a little rock abuse but don't be surprise you end up with a leak. They are really easy to fix though..

Brusac

Seaman
I think not inflating the keel is a bad idea. The keel not only aids in tracking but it puts upward pressure on the floor, without that you will have more stress along the rest of the floor seams that could lead to damage. I use a battery powered pump for inflation/deflation of my M4, the keel takes maybe 30 seconds to inflate. When I land at the end of my trip the first thing I do is open the keel valve (I insert one of the pinch valve adapters from my pump into the valve to keep the check open) and just the weight of the floor has the keel deflated before I get the first of the main tubes deflated. As far as adding the skegs, even with the keel inflated I think tracking can be greatly improved. I would certainly like to know how much of a difference they make.

Jiggyjay

Seaman
thanks brusac.. yeah i need to quit being lazy and just inflate it! the last few times i was out with it I didn't because either I didn't put the floor in correctly that i wasn't able to get to the valve and just didn't want to inflate it all. In fact I dont think i've inflated it once in the water since i've owned this boat. I might try the skegs just for the hell of it. If it doesn't work out i can always take it off. Its a good thing I only got this boat for $50 because if I had paid the full price on it I wouldn't be trying this stuff out to it! lol.. Now I have a choice of either doing a big skeg or doing 4 smaller ones.. I like the option of 1 big one since it is also removable.. Heres the big one i'm looking at..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...450489508&ref_=sr_1_2&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-2

Starkonian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes, I pull the boat a 1/4 way up on the ramp leaving most of my gear in the boat. I open the keel valve and just pinch it open and it empties in less than a minute.

KingPhoenix

Seaman Apprentice
thanks brusac.. yeah i need to quit being lazy and just inflate it! the last few times i was out with it I didn't because either I didn't put the floor in correctly that i wasn't able to get to the valve and just didn't want to inflate it all. In fact I dont think i've inflated it once in the water since i've owned this boat. I might try the skegs just for the hell of it. If it doesn't work out i can always take it off. Its a good thing I only got this boat for $50 because if I had paid the full price on it I wouldn't be trying this stuff out to it! lol.. Now I have a choice of either doing a big skeg or doing 4 smaller ones.. I like the option of 1 big one since it is also removable.. Heres the big one i'm looking at..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...450489508&ref_=sr_1_2&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-2

Definetly try the keel first, I've had it deflate on me a little and i can really tell the difference when the keel is no longer properly inflated.

I do the same as everyone else, pull it out of the water, pull the plug on the keel and by the time I've brought the car around or unloaded the contents of the boats its empty from the weight of the floor.

JC2133

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the feedback yeah I'm going to hold off with the skews and make sure to blow up the keel. Made a video on my glue on mods.

Here's part 1
https://youtu.be/nj6EpqNP7zc

Part 2
https://youtu.be/I_mupR0qbsI

Haven't gotten it out on the water yet but love those Scott glue on pads that I'll be using to mount the center board and heavy duty rod holders.

Good video, I'll have to check out those glue on mounts

Jiggyjay

Seaman
Thanks. Yeah them Scott glue on mounts are great. I haven't had the chance to take the boat out since it's the middle of winter but it's gonna really help me when I'm trolling.. good luck.

Djchon661

Cadet
Just joined this forum to say thanks to all the people who have shared there knowledge, experience and photos of their M4. I have scoured this thread for weeks in preparation of my own M4, which I hopefully will be ordering this week!

Your reviews, comments and sharing has been an invaluable resource and for that I say thank you!

Starkonian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just joined this forum to say thanks to all the people who have shared there knowledge, experience and photos of their M4. I have scoured this thread for weeks in preparation of my own M4, which I hopefully will be ordering this week!

Your reviews, comments and sharing has been an invaluable resource and for that I say thank you!

Welcome! Make sure you post pics as your mods come together. There's a million ways to do it. Everyone's boat is a little different.

Jiggyjay

Seaman
Welcome DJ.. always nice getting some new blood in this thread!

Went down to Vegas this past weekend where it was 60* weather brought the boat with me and did some fishing at lake mead. Didn't catch anything but it's better than no fishing. The scotty glue on mounts and rod holders worked great. I was trolling around with dipsy divers which puts a lot pressure on a rod especially when trolling and the rod holders didn't have any problems with it. Let's see if it can hold up though. 2 more months til I can fish regularly.

Last edited:

Djchon661

Cadet
So my mariner 4 is on its way!!! Won't be doing to much mods but I'll post pics of my outings. Can't wait!

Djchon661

Cadet
Boat is here! Took maybe 10 minutes to inflate. Does hose pop out to prevent over inflation? Popped out twice on me and when I measured with the tool it was right on

Jiggyjay

Seaman
Nice dj.. you planning on getting a motor or anything? Highly recommend getting a 12 volt air mattress pump from Wal mart unless you like the workout of pumping it. Intex makes one that I bought for like $10 it doesn't fill your boat all the way up but I tell get you to like 80% and use the hand pump to do the rest.