Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

eclipse3gen

Seaman
Re: Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

Inflated the boat when it arrived yesterday. Noticed a fair amount of marks on the outer layer of material like it was folded and got a little too hot? Someone mentioned this early on in the thread, maybe it was mrdr. He posted a picture of it but I figured I would too since I had my tablet with me. Have you all found this common on your boats when it comes out of the package? All the chambers held air just fine, so I'm not concerned about it.
Also put the stock rollup floor in to check its size; seems like a good fit and i will just trace it onto my plywood.

mine had the same crease, some even worse. some of them went away after couple of inflation.

eclipse3gen

Seaman

Just out of curiosity...has anyone on this post ever had a keel valve flip open and deflate? I have to actively squeeze mine open to release air when I deflate the whole boat for pack up. I also have the hand pump with me, for when the cold water causes a slight pressure drop in the tubes..a quick refill...
because of the wood floor, I only fill it 1/2 before inserting the floor, and then pump it up once I am on the water. I have never heard the dreaded" PSSSHT" from the keel valve. Also..like a regular air mattress..the keel valve can be pushed down flush into itself.....Damn hard to get back out though... Anyone else have this experience?
With that having been said, I used a 2 1/4 inch hole saw to make the keel valve hole in the floor..pretty easy, but if the hole is reasonably round...couldn't a guy use a pvc pipe cap to insert into the hole to cover the keel valve?(like a 2 '' one which is less than the 2 1/4 inch hole) Not as pretty as above..but WTF

i am just going to use a piece of carpet covering the whole area untill i find something similar to what comfy used.

Last edited:

Brian B.

Seaman Apprentice

Inflated the boat when it arrived yesterday. Noticed a fair amount of marks on the outer layer of material like it was folded and got a little too hot? Someone mentioned this early on in the thread, maybe it was mrdr. He posted a picture of it but I figured I would too since I had my tablet with me. Have you all found this common on your boats when it comes out of the package? All the chambers held air just fine, so I'm not concerned about it.
Also put the stock rollup floor in to check its size; seems like a good fit and i will just trace it onto my plywood.

They are cool as heck aren't they? The creases go away, you'll make all new creases the first time you roll it up. Also, just to illustrate a point, its essentially a fabric PVC boat, it doesn't appear to leak right now, but if you fully inflate it, go over every seam, spray them with soapy bubbly water- you will find ever so slight insignificant leaks. Mark them with a pencil, dry the boat off, hours later hit those spots with SailRite HH66, (after primer/cleaner),- this is your basic hull maintenance routine.

You will find the boat is tough as hell, one thing it wont tolerate, beaching, get shallow, hop out and get your legs wet- so what.. So much easier than creating leaks/ holes.

Brian B.

Seaman Apprentice

And congrats on your new boat- you'll love it!

AKTrout

Cadet

So, just got a sweet deal on a Minn Kota 55lb Endura! A friend of a friend had it and picked up a 15hp gas motor to replace it (for a larger, solid hull boat). He hardly used the Minn Kota and said "eh, just give me $50 for it." My eyes got the size of quarters and I said "sold!"
I was going to cut the floor and router the edges today, but I'll be at work all day so probably Mon or Tues. Oh well, the lakes are still frozen around here anyways...

Attachments

• 20140424_183704.jpg
    20140424_183704.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 19

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Quick
Go buy a powerball ticket before your luck changes:laugh:
$50 is as close to FREE as you can get

Great buy

flukesofnature

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The first Mariner 4 ICE fishing post!

Last edited:

flukesofnature

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So, just got a sweet deal on a Minn Kota 55lb Endura! A friend of a friend had it and picked up a 15hp gas motor to replace it (for a larger, solid hull boat). He hardly used the Minn Kota and said "eh, just give me $50 for it." My eyes got the size of quarters and I said "sold!"
I was going to cut the floor and router the edges today, but I'll be at work all day so probably Mon or Tues. Oh well, the lakes are still frozen around here anyways...
where in Alaska are you? Anywhere near Kenai?

cablebandit

Seaman

I think that is the model I have and will be selling it soon as i dont see me using a trolling motor. I am not a fisherman

eclipse3gen

Seaman

View attachment 229429View attachment 229430View attachment 229431View attachment 229432

You have my attention ... Very interesting... Let us know how that works. Hell.... We sell s 6ft folding table at Lowe's and I'm sure the legs are removable for weight savings!

I finally got take the boat out on water yesterday. I setup twice. it took me 40min to setup for first time and 20min to deflate and change the floor. Almost another 40min to repack. Used a Magna cart under the boat, a 12' ratchet tie down to tie it down and rolled it to water. it looked way smaller on water than inside my apt. :) It was awesome overall n worth every penny. Most cost effective and easiest way to get on water considering my situation.

i got to try the original floor and also the tables i bought from walmart. They were very easy to put it in the car and to slide in the boat. I put both tables side by side with table joints going across. They were sturdy and stable on water. You could easily stand/walk around the boat. The one thing i didn't like about them is that they felt quite slippery. I could put carpet on it but that would add more cost to it compare to the wood floor and i can't reuse the tables. I am already at $75 with just the tables. I think i can cut a 4x8 plywood (saw one 15/32 for $14) and make a similar setup with similar size panels. Perhaps join the them with hinges. It would make it lot cheaper but not sure if it would make it as stable. I will keep you posted.

Last edited:

flukesofnature

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I finally got take the boat out on water yesterday. I setup twice. it took me 40min to setup for first time and 20min to deflate and change the floor. Almost another 40min to repack. Used a Magna cart under the boat, a 12' ratchet tie down to tie it down and rolled it to water. it looked way smaller on water than inside my apt. :) It was awesome overall n worth every penny. Most cost effective and easiest way to get on water considering my situation.

i got to try the original floor and also the tables i bought from walmart. They were very easy to put it in the car and to slide in the boat. I put both tables side by side with table joints going across. They were sturdy and stable on water. You could easily stand/walk around the boat. The one thing i didn't like about them is that they felt quite slippery. I could put carpet on it but that would add more cost to it compare to the wood floor and i can't reuse the tables. I am already at $75 with just the tables. I think i can cut a 4x8 plywood (saw one 15/32 for $14) and make a similar setup with similar size panels. Perhaps join the them with hinges. It would make it lot cheaper but not sure if it would make it as stable. I will keep you posted.

They make a porch and deck paint, that you can add large grit sand to for traction on slippery surfaces. There are also traction strips, that are probably 2-3 inches wide..similiar to roofing material but not as thick, that one could apply to the tables. I imagine that the lightweight nature of the tables, if they are as stable as you say, is a very nice feature.

eclipse3gen

Seaman

They make a porch and deck paint, that you can add large grit sand to for traction on slippery surfaces. There are also traction strips, that are probably 2-3 inches wide..similiar to roofing material but not as thick, that one could apply to the tables. I imagine that the lightweight nature of the tables, if they are as stable as you say, is a very nice feature.

yes and they are very easy to carry, store and use. not to mention you could potentially reuse them at home, day outs and during camping trips.

but there are couple of points to consider:
1. i am only 176lb and my wife us about 95lbs and we were quite comfortable. wonder how they will act with bigger guys. Perhaps someone tall and big can try them out and report back.

2. Plastics may bend over time.

3. over all cost.

AKTrout

Cadet

where in Alaska are you? Anywhere near Kenai?
I am in Anchorage. Do you live on the Kenai Peninsula? I have finally finished reading this thread in its entirety and if I recall you've had the M3 for one season? If you are not an Alaska local, Kenai is about a three hour drive from Anchorage.

AKTrout

Cadet

I think that is the model I have and will be selling it soon as i dont see me using a trolling motor. I am not a fisherman
If you're not selling to a friend to whom you'd like to give a great deal, you can certainly get more than $50 for it. Haha.

flukesofnature

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have some family in Kenai...been there!!!! BIG BIG trout!!!Bigger Salmon!!!! I am in Washington.
I caught a 29 inch trout on the confluence of the Kenai and the russian river one year.....made a believer out of me!

Last edited:

flukesofnature

Petty Officer 2nd Class

eclipse
HMMMMM can't relate. I am 6'4 and a svelt 270.....:rolleyes: LOL

Last edited:

AKTrout

Cadet

I have some family in Kenai...been there!!!! BIG BIG trout!!!Bigger Salmon!!!! I am in Washington.
I caught a 29 inch trout on the confluence of the Kenai and the russian river one year.....made a believer out of me!
Nice!! There are some beasts up here, you can even find some decent size landlocked rainbows too. I'll definitely report on what I pull out of the lake by my house. It's stocked with rainbows, arctic char, and arctic grayling. Maybe land locked salmon too, not sure.

Edit: wait a minute?? Did you bring your M4 (or 3) up here and have a picture somewhere (here or amazon) of your boat in front of a glacier? If so, was that Portage? I can't imagine that being a tidewater glacier on the ocean. I'll have to look back at old posts now if this wasn't you and figure it out.

Last edited:

AKTrout

Cadet

We are not too far out. We had most of the lakes frozen even a week ago!

how long of a summer do you guys get up there?
Summers are about 3-4 months. We have three seasons here: a short summer, a long dark winter, and breakup... Which is kinda like spring, but everything is melting and all the gravel and sand they spread to help traction on icy roads is everywhere; the city is filthy for a while until everything finishes melting and the street sweepers get out.

flukesofnature

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice!! There are some beasts up here, you can even find some decent size landlocked rainbows too. I'll definitely report on what I pull out of the lake by my house. It's stocked with rainbows, arctic char, and arctic grayling. Maybe land locked salmon too, not sure.

Edit: wait a minute?? Did you bring your M4 (or 3) up here and have a picture somewhere (here or amazon) of your boat in front of a glacier? If so, was that Portage? I can't imagine that being a tidewater glacier on the ocean. I'll have to look back at old posts now if this wasn't you and figure it out.

Nope..but I have seen that pic....intrepid mariner 4(and 3) captains show their undaunted spirit everywhere!!!LOL