Tohatsu 25 hp stopped on river. Question.

Heartbeast

Cadet
Last year this same motor, the powerhead locked up. A rebuild powerhead was put on it. I have ran the motor for about 10 trips now. I have even ran a little more oil just to make sure I don't have any problems. Saturday morning, I was on my way back to the landing and the motor started shutting off. It stopped almost sounding like it ran out of gas. Gas was good, but would not start. Battery clicked so I tried pull starting it. Would not turn.
Got it home. Pulled plugs, they looked ok. Put some oil in cylinders and let it sit. Tried to start it with battery. Turned over just a few times slowly but seemed to stop. Tried to pull start it but very hard to pull and would not start. In neutral, the prop turns.
Any advice? Thank you...

-Bob

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: Tohatsu 25 hp stopped on river. Question.

Did the water pump strong? Actually sounds like a cold seize, check the thermostat ...

pvanv

Admiral

What is your model/serial?

You may have a powerhead or an LU issue. I would drop the LU to see where the friction is located. If the problem is in the powerhead, ask the rebuilder for advice and/or warranty. If in the LU, look at the driveshaft bearing below the wp housing.

Heartbeast

Cadet

Thanks for the advice. 1985 motor. No thermostat. No warranty. Pulled the LU but it is ok. Put some oil into cylinder and let sit. Seems to be turning easier but still not like it should be. Seemed like it wanted to start once but didn't. Got water hooked up to it, should water come out even when it is just turning over and not started yet? Any other advice before I take it somewhere? Thanks.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

If your engine has a small hose that sends gas/oil mixture from lower case to upper head main bearing probably has obstructed, at nipple lower hose, there's a check valve, check if working apropriate or obstructed, if so main & middle bearings in the process of being completely locked due to poor lubrication.

Happy Boating

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

That engine REQUIRES a thermostat or it will OVERHEAT.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Yep, as I expected, it cold seized, you need a thermostat .....

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Part of the thermostat deflects water into a passage that it would just blow by without it. Many brands and models of outboards will overheat from the removal of a thermostat.