Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

Cyber6

Cadet
Re: Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

Cyber6, did you ever look at the "defender" brand? They seem expensive but the claim is very high quality (from China.)

Thank you for that suggestion Mznewman

The defender's pricing are very generous for hypalon but PVC is competitive. They don't talk about th thinkness. Ill phone defender tomorrow on that. My surroundings include an inlet of the Pacific Ocean, tone of lakes and rivers. So I need a boat that I can safely ride tanker wake to fast moving river current with my family. I was praying there would be no tankers on my outing lastwknd. I stupidly said ok to the family to come with me. M4 isn't rated for my environment and needs.

The Stryker and seamax are from s.korean or German PVC.

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Loop_Dad, If you are using carpet, and wrap the edges, there is no need for pipe insulation. If you are just using painted plywood (1/2", 5/8", or 3/4"), with no carpet, you can use a machine sander (belt sander is best) to take off the 90degree edges. Then put a few heavy coats of polyurethane on the edges. You can lightly sand poly between coats, making sure nothing sharp is coming through. The poly will also fill moderate lamination voids if you are using a cheap plywood. Again, no need for pipe insulation.

View attachment 215028
Thanks, mznewman. I have no carpet, just paint. When I did my floor, I trimmed the sides to give room for the pipe insulation. So If I go without it now, the floor will probably be too loose. Then the floor might sit low on the bottom of the boat and might create stress on certain part.

mznewman

Seaman

Thanks, mznewman. I have no carpet, just paint. When I did my floor, I trimmed the sides to give room for the pipe insulation. So If I go without it now, the floor will probably be too loose. Then the floor might sit low on the bottom of the boat and might create stress on certain part.

Loop_Dad, Where did the pipe insulation come off? did it crumble/rip, or did the glue fail? If glue failure, then I strongly suggest DAP contact cement. Inexpensive, ridiculously strong.

dancour

Cadet

Thanks for posting your bimini top video mrdrh99. Quite effective for $25.

Bimini Top Cool.jpg

I wonder if one could add a diagonal brace or two in the corners.

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Loop_Dad, Where did the pipe insulation come off? did it crumble/rip, or did the glue fail? If glue failure, then I strongly suggest DAP contact cement. Inexpensive, ridiculously strong.

It's both. Some part ripped and some part came off. I think I will just replace section by section as needed basis. I'll try the DAP contact cement. Thanks!

dancour

Cadet

We were out on the lake yesterday. There were a few white caps and now I'll be checking back to see what you guys use for an anchor.

The new swivel seat on the plywood floor is wonderful and I had fun watching the new Garmin 150 fishfinder.

Now if I could just make them bite.

M4 Last Day Out.jpg

Last edited:

Cyber6

Cadet

We were out on the lake yesterday. There were a few white caps and now I be checking back to see what you guys use for an anchor.

The new swivel seat on the plywood floor is wonderful and I had fun watching the Garmin 150 fishfinder.

View attachment 215239

That's a neat setup. Can you share a pic of just your boat launch or dolly?

Thank you in advance.

mznewman

Seaman

We were out on the lake yesterday. There were a few white caps and now I be checking back to see what you guys use for an anchor.

The new swivel seat on the plywood floor is wonderful and I had fun watching the Garmin 150 fishfinder.

View attachment 215239

Great mods dancour. I have the G150 finder as well. Great for determining depth, but not sure its the right tool for "finding fish." How was the lake? rough? My lakes are very smooth. 40ft deep for the one that is closest to me, the other, 45min drive, is about 100ft at its deepest point. Unless they are hitting off the top, you need a down-rigger strategy. I am figuring that out now myself.

dancour

Cadet

The dolly that I built is from leftovers. It does break down into 2 pieces that will fit in the back of my van.

Mariner Cart 2.jpg

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for posting your bimini top video mrdrh99. Quite effective for $25.

View attachment 215133

I wonder if one could add a diagonal brace or two in the corners.
I'm going to rework this over the winter! Going to give it the more traditional V supports and tied down on the outsides.,.I'm also going to build a spider rig for crappie fishing .....probably 6 rods

mrdrh99

So, I'm seeing some fantastic deals on trolling motors on craigslist....anyone have an opinion on running the m4 off of two trolling motors side by side with a slightly modded transom? Any extra speed? I've seen more than jon boat running on multiple trolling motors.....any thoughts?

mznewman

Seaman

So, I'm seeing some fantastic deals on trolling motors on craigslist....anyone have an opinion on running the m4 off of two trolling motors side by side with a slightly modded transom? Any extra speed? I've seen more than jon boat running on multiple trolling motors.....any thoughts?

Good question... Without [me] experiencing multiple trolling motors, I would instinctively say it is counter productive to the simplicity concept of the m4 type boats. For me, I want compact packing, less setup/tear-down time, and less maintenance. Multi-motor configs might tip that balance, making the boat too complex. More motors need battery power too.

mrdrh99

Ok, so if I don't go the route of two motors, I def want some more power. Any opinion of the minn kota traxis 45lb? I think 55 may be over kill

mrdrh99

Hey Copper!!! Didn't you step up to a 50lb troller?? how is that working out for you? Long time no hear buddy!

mznewman

Seaman

@mrdrh99

I have a 50lb Minn Kota Riptide with a grp 29 Marine Batt from Walmart. Its fine for calm waters, but its the wrong equipment for running on rivers or rougher bodies like a windy Bay / large Lake (I've tried it). You really need flat waters IMO. 3 people on flat lake is no problem for trolling or just cruising around.
minnKotaRiptide.jpg
I am looking for a 3-4HP OB to get me onto the Delaware River. I will not go onto the river again unless I have an OB.

mrdrh99

Does that 50lb bend the back of the boat down any? I'm kinda thinking a 45lb would be ideal but not sure if its worth spending the $ to go from a 30 to a 45. Gas isn't really an option where I am. 3/4 lakes are electric only and they are the better lakes for the mariner......on the big lake I'd be taking wake from the boys all day!

CopperFox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey there MrDrH99!

I may have been quiet lately, but I have been observing! Several months ago I did trade in my 30 lb thrust for a 55, with the Weedless Wedge 2 prop. I'm very happy with both.

As far as the motor & speed & bending the back of the boat, my thoughts now have changed a little. At almost double the power of the 30, it actually does seem to go almost twice the speed. You definitely won't be bringing along water skiers, but it moves nicely. When I'm in a rush to go a distance, I still want to go faster, but thinking back to earlier, it is much faster. And whether I am alone or have someone in the boat, on 5, I do leave a wake, which is kinda neat!

In an earlier post in this thread, I believe I did say that kicking it to 5 did drop the stern significantly, but now, I don't know how significant that is. Until recently I have only used my electric pump to inflate my boat. This was because during the summer, as it got warmer, I knew the pressure in my tubes would increase and so I'd not fill them too full to start. Now that it is much colder out, I have started topping each chamber off with 3-5 pumps of the hand pump, and it makes the boat much more solid with little worry that afternoon heat might cause one to blow. IF I can keep this level of pressure in the tubes, I think that any added torque put out by speed 5, should cause minimal distortion in the back. Number 5 really does kick it up nicely. I read in another thread on this site that speed 3 on the 55 is equivalent to speed 5 on the 30, but more efficient, using less battery power. The truth to this is anyone's guess.

Would I do it all over again? I got a really unbelievable deal on my new Minn Kota 55 lb thrust, so absolutely! Besides, Minn Kota quality and value under normal circumstances is impressive. My only hesitation though, is not considering getting a motor that is also designed to work in salt water. The added cost is significant but is due to my location I could easily be fishing Dungeness crab in my boat as well. As it is, I go out with a friend 1-2 times a week, so unless that changes, I'm still set.

Check the price difference between the 50 and 55. When I was looking, it was minimal. If you can find a good deal I'm sure you'll be happy with your purchase of either.

Dave

mznewman

Seaman

Does that 50lb bend the back of the boat down any? I'm kinda thinking a 45lb would be ideal but not sure if its worth spending the $ to go from a 30 to a 45. Gas isn't really an option where I am. 3/4 lakes are electric only and they are the better lakes for the mariner......on the big lake I'd be taking wake from the boys all day!

If you inflate the chambers properly, the 50lb will not flex the transom into the boat. There is a big jump from throttle position 4 to 5 on my 50lb Minn Kota. Speed 5 does change the angle due to its increased torque, but, again, if chambers are filled, its not significant. On the other hand, if you under-inflate, you will see measurable flexing as you increase speed. I learned my lesson. Electric pump on the setup, then hand-pump to top-off chambers once I get onto the water. The cooler water temp >does< reduce the chamber pressure!

I would not consider anything under a 50lb for the M4 (anything over 55lb thrust is 24v, so 55lb is a great choice too). I do not troll on speed 5, but I use it to get to my fishing holes, and back to the ramp at the end of my outing ;-)

mrdrh99

Hey there MrDrH99!

I may have been quiet lately, but I have been observing! Several months ago I did trade in my 30 lb thrust for a 55, with the Weedless Wedge 2 prop. I'm very happy with both.

As far as the motor & speed & bending the back of the boat, my thoughts now have changed a little. At almost double the power of the 30, it actually does seem to go almost twice the speed. You definitely won't be bringing along water skiers, but it moves nicely. When I'm in a rush to go a distance, I still want to go faster, but thinking back to earlier, it is much faster. And whether I am alone or have someone in the boat, on 5, I do leave a wake, which is kinda neat!

In an earlier post in this thread, I believe I did say that kicking it to 5 did drop the stern significantly, but now, I don't know how significant that is. Until recently I have only used my electric pump to inflate my boat. This was because during the summer, as it got warmer, I knew the pressure in my tubes would increase and so I'd not fill them too full to start. Now that it is much colder out, I have started topping each chamber off with 3-5 pumps of the hand pump, and it makes the boat much more solid with little worry that afternoon heat might cause one to blow. IF I can keep this level of pressure in the tubes, I think that any added torque put out by speed 5, should cause minimal distortion in the back. Number 5 really does kick it up nicely. I read in another thread on this site that speed 3 on the 55 is equivalent to speed 5 on the 30, but more efficient, using less battery power. The truth to this is anyone's guess.

Would I do it all over again? I got a really unbelievable deal on my new Minn Kota 55 lb thrust, so absolutely! Besides, Minn Kota quality and value under normal circumstances is impressive. My only hesitation though, is not considering getting a motor that is also designed to work in salt water. The added cost is significant but is due to my location I could easily be fishing Dungeness crab in my boat as well. As it is, I go out with a friend 1-2 times a week, so unless that changes, I'm still set.

Check the price difference between the 50 and 55. When I was looking, it was minimal. If you can find a good deal I'm sure you'll be happy with your purchase of either.

Dave

Hey copper! Did you get a motor with the digital maximizer? If so do you notice any improved battery life? With my endura 30 I'm running of a 109ah battery and have never come close to running out of juice. With my baby daughter getting a little older I believe next season I'll be able to spend entire days out on the water! But that's where my battery concerns come in, I'm even considering buying a second just to make sure. Btw, I'm still considering that motorguide foot controlled motor also, by the time I buy a new motor and battery I can have that one also!

kstowell

Recruit

Holy crap! you guys are awesome!!! This post is just what I needed for my Mariner 4. I have a hard time reinventing the wheel. So, it is alway nice to get ideas from other. I got my Intex Mariner 4 from RubberBoats.com and put the swivel seats in like they showed in the video. It is a very easy modification if you need swivel seats.