Initial order quantity of Cabosil, CS, and Bubbles question

rubberbelly

Seaman
Hey guys, my boat was at dry dock some years back, then I sent it to dry storage and well now I am getting back to it finally. I am getting ready to order cloth but I want to order some of the other basics as well. Since I am a newbie on the glassing, does the following see reasonable for a 16 ft basic boat getting new stringer floor and transom. My head is spinning as I have been reading so many posts and I forget to take notes. Aerosil-Cabosil 5qt 3M Glass Bubbles 5qt "1/4" Chopped Strand 4lbs, next size up is 10lbs Looking at 435 resin from USC but shipping is a huge hit to the wallet. Suggestions for Kansas City area supplier? Just bite the bullet? Was going for 5 gallons but I know I will go through that quickly.

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Welcome rub my boat is 19' and I ordered 20 gal of 435 on my first order also used over 4 gals of cabosil mine is a center console so maybe it takes more. I think you will be better off making a big order in the beginning that will keep shipping cost down

rubberbelly

Seaman
Thanks. Was reading up on your thread last week... :) Here is a link to my original thread of restoration.

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hi Rub, I had 20gal of resin, 35yds or so of 1708, 50yds or so of CSM, 10gal of foam, gelcoat and misc trucked to Memphis on a pallet. I picked it up at their loading dock. Shipping was $137 and you don't pay the extra $27 hazardous fees per 5 gallon pail. If you have a truck and order enough from USC this might work for you.

rubberbelly

Seaman
Thanks all! Sounds like a pallet ship is the way too go! Now to decide on 15 or 20 gallons. Rick, my stringers and floor won't nearly be as complex and as large as yours! WOG, thanks for the link my cloth estimate was 1 yard 1708 less than your suggestion and 5 less on the CSM but I was going to buy 6" wide CS tape so I assume that was my difference. The rest of the list helps greatly too! Thanks again.

Last edited: