Inflatable boat trailer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gobigkahuna

Seaman
I'm looking for a cheap trailer for a 12' softbottom inflatable I will be buying. I thought I might be able to adapt / modify one of these ( http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=5002 ) for the job. The boat won't weigh much ( 130 lbs ) and I won't be towing it with the motor attached (I plan on getting a 15 hp, so I should be able to remove it whenever I need to tow the boat). I thought maybe fashion some longer bed pads out of 2 x 12" and cover them with outdoor carpet. Anyone do something like this? Maybe a photo or two? Thanks!

nobrainsd

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Inflatable boat trailer?

I would hold out for a galvanized trailer. If you go with this trailer you will want to stay on top of any corrosion. Don't lag on cleaning and repainting. I even replaced all the u-bolts on my galvanized trailer with ss. Since you are launching in salt water rust will happen and quickly too! My boat came with two bunk rails that did not extend under the transom the way they were positioned. Even without a motor on the boat you will want to make sure the transom is supported. Treat your boat right and it will last a lot longer. I also installed two straight uprights and two small carpeted pads to support the front of the boat so it didn't bounce up and down and flex while towing. All depends on where you are going to be towing to. Eight inch wheels work fine for light loads. I had the smaller diameter wheels and upgraded them just for the increased ground clearance. Beach launching and dirt roads didn't like that low ride trailer. Over time you may find the need to reinforce the the area where the two side rails and the tow rail join. I just bolted on another cross piece. I don't know about your area, but I see smaller name brand used trailers for sale around here in the $500 range. Those light bolt together ungalvanized trailers work better for fresh water.

gobigkahuna

Seaman

Since the boat will only weigh 130 lbs, I might be able to get away with using this trailer for the short term and just hand launch the boat and carry the motor in the bed of my truck. Used trailers come up fairly frequently, but unfortunately usually need a fair bit of work and are almost always for much larger boats. But I'll keep on looking...

Drowned Rat

Captain

I bought the 4X8 flatbed trailer from Harbor Freight and it works perfect for my 14' inflatable. And you can trailer with the motor on the boat because the transom is fully supported. The only mods I made to the trailer was I lowered the fenders so they are flush with the rest of the bed and I covered them with white "cutting board" material. (Get the trailer with 8" wheels, not 12" wheels, if you want to do this.) The bolts are countersunk and the tubes sit directly on them. I put two 2X4 rails lengthwise on the outer edges of the plywood deck that act to keep the boat straight when loading and it works perfectly. I added eye bolts to the tongue end of the bed to support a transom bracket. That's it. I also replaced the lights with waterproof ones, but I did that as I was putting it together. I'm actually taking my boat down for the season tomorrow and I can take pictures of the trailer if you think you're interested.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

Hi gobigkahuna.

I dug this shot of his trailer out of one of Drowned Rat's earlier post. It is not a really good detail shot, but to wet your whistle, here it is ...

DSC03188.jpg

I hope he doesn't “Coast Guard” on me for using it here. :D

He has one of the nicest complete packages I have as yet seen.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Lol at snapping turtle, Thanks for the compliment.

Here's the trailer, minus the boat.

I added the spare tire and jack. The jack is absolutely necessary if you want to move this thing around by hand. The tongue weight is heavy because the engine needs to sit on that side of the trailer. The tongue has negative weight if you put it on the other side. It's because the engine weighs so much and the boat so little.

DSC03855.jpg

Here is what I rigged to hold the transom bracket. It's two eye bolts side by side. The Transom Saver goes over one and sits next to the other. The pin goes through both and a hole in the Saver. It's rock solid with no chance of coming apart. I used two SS locking nuts on each bolt.

DSC03856.jpg

Here are the rails on the sides of the deck. They act as "bunks" sort of and guide the boat on to the trailer straight. Depending on the size of your inflatable, you may need to move the rails slightly in to get the same advantage. On my 14 footer, the rails are situated directly where the bottom hull meets the tube so it's perfect. The picture makes it look like the 2X4's overhang the plywood, but they are actually flush. The corners of the deck are cut off to accomodate the hardware.

DSC03857.jpg

Here are the lowered fenders, (a necessity for larger boats). The cutting board material is to prevent chaffing on the tubes. After a season of use, (maybe 1500 miles) the tubes show absolutely no wear. They still look like new.

DSC03858.jpg

And finally the countersunk bolts, again for chaffing purposes.

DSC03859.jpg

The trailer is rated for 1000 lbs. My boat is about 600 lbs. fully rigged. It drives really good on the highway, tracks perfect, no bounce. I'm really happy with it. I may replace the wood with marine grade at some point, but in Arizona what I have does the job. Clearly, you would never want to put this trailer in salt water. It would probably dissolve on the spot. :)

Good luck, hope this helps.

gobigkahuna

Seaman

Thanks for taking the time to take and post the photos. Very interesting how you have the boat "backwards" on the trailer. Is that to balance the trailer better? How do you normally launch the boat?

Hey just a suggestion check your local junk yard for a trailer. I bought a galvanized jet ski trailer there for 30 dollars all it needed was tires and new bunk boards for a grand total of 80 dollars (that was for everything). I know you need a diffrent type of trailer but they may have something you could use. Worth looking into. Good luck

Drowned Rat

Captain

No problem kahuna,

I launch the boat just like any other. Back the trailer into the water and push the boat off. The flatbed is nice for this too because it's very easy to walk on. I put the boat on backwards because when the motor is at the other end there is too little tongue weight. I actually like better the way I do it too because it makes for a more compact package.

nobrainsd

Petty Officer 1st Class

Even small trailers cruise really well with the proper tongue weight (5 - 10% of the gross trailer/boat weight). Ingenius to put the boat on with the engine up forward! Even most boat trailers are not set up properly for an inflatables weight distribution. I had to move my spring/axle assembly to get the right tongue weight. Thanks for posting pics!

modernrocketry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

West Marine has this and its galvanized:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/247274/377%20710%201879/712/trailer/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/WMPrice|1?N=377%20710%201879&Ne=712&Ntt=trailer&Ntk=Primary%20Search&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&Nao=0&Ns=WMPrice|1&keyword=trailer&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=842&subdeptNum=843&classNum=843
I used one for my last 12' RIB -- it worked okay. I didn't like it at highway speeds. Seemed a bit unstable.

Northern tool has some different models that might work:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category_6970_166839

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

you could get one off this:)

Attachments

• outboard 052.jpg
    outboard 052.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 5
  • outboard 054.jpg
    outboard 054.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 5
  • outboard 055.jpg
    outboard 055.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 5

gobigkahuna

Seaman

Holy cow! How in the world do you get that thing up there? I'm a big guy, so I could probably lift my end, but I don't know that many guys that can press over 150 lbs... :eek:

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

I am 6'2" and the boat is about 180 pound I got some roller on the rear bracket in the second photo at first I lean the boat against it and then left the rear and push forward and some one goes up on the truck my 13 years old or my wife and hold the robe to Guide it and it is on not that hard!!!

jtmace

Recruit

Hate to bump what seems to be a dead thread, but this thread helped me when I was trying to figure out how to make a trailer for my 15' inflatable. I figured since I found it useful I could add on to it and for anyone else in the future that is in the same boat I was (no pun intended:p).

This was the 8' 1700lb Harbor Freight trailer. Basically I just added a few 2x4s, 2x6s and 1x6s of marine grade lumber, 8 feet of 2" square steel tube, and the winch/jack/keel roller. I painted the wood with exterior latex paint for *hopefully* some addition protection from the water and carpeted the bunks with marine carpet.

This is my first time doing anything like this and this is for my first inflatable boat. Wish me luck :)

DSCF2986.jpg
DSCF2985.jpg
DSCF2983.jpg

CapeAnn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This was the 8' 1700lb Harbor Freight trailer. Basically I just added a few 2x4s, 2x6s and 1x6s of marine grade lumber, 8 feet of 2" square steel tube, and the winch/jack/keel roller. I painted the wood with exterior latex paint for *hopefully* some addition protection from the water and carpeted the bunks with marine carpet.

This is my first time doing anything like this and this is for my first inflatable boat. Wish me luck :)

Nice looking trailer. Nice supports of non-RIB inflatable! Please keep us apprised as to how it works, plsu corrosion resistance over time.

Cheers,

CapeAnn

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Nice job jt. I like how you went with bunks instead of a PT plywood platform. That should help keep the weight down. Have you tried it yet?

jtmace

Recruit

Thanks!

I have not had it out yet. I have had the boat on the trailer and it fits snug. Maybe too snug because I couldn't get the floor's stringers installed when it was on the trailer. I'll probably have to install them while the boat is on flat ground and then get a couple buddies to help me lift the boat onto the trailer. I hope to get it out this weekend. I'll keep you posted.

ajrunke

Seaman Apprentice

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=511009

Hi, I just posted this thread a few days ago. I got a very nice deal from craigslist for a galvanized boat trailer. It is 18 feet from head to tail. Instead of using bunks, I decided to go with a flat bed and did a conversion. This way, for long distance traveling which I will do quite a bit of, I will haul it with the keel deflated and that way the boat weight will be spread out to a maximum level under both tubes. The boat trailer cost roughly $400 and the materials were around $280 or so. The bed is about 74" x 14', just barely enough to fit the entire bottom of my boat on and I plan on coating the wood planks with a hard shelled enamel to be more gentle on the tubes.

Speaking of enamel, does anyone have a better idea for coating the wood boards? I figured an enamel shell will be durable and hold in and splintered wood. I'm open to suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.