First Starcraft Outing of the Year and the Results are

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer
1. no pictures forgot the camera at home.
2. My new kodiak disc brakes/new surge actuator did not release the brakes and held slight pressure so in 30 miles I was spewing hot oil out of the hubs. Disconnected brakes, pumped wheel bearings full of grease (axles are center tapped with grease fitting). Rear idler hubs looked ok.
3. 100 miles into the trip stopped for lunch and the rear idlers almost had no oil in them, so pumped them full of grease also.
The seals leaked, Kodiak oil lube hub kits.
Rest of the trip went good.
Rebuild SEI upper ran well, boat ran great put about 25+ hours on her.
Caught about 7 lings, 20 black rock fish, 3 salmon and 4 crabs.
Now I have to figure out the trailer brakes and I will probably go back to bearing buddies since the oil lube hubs leaked (to me it does not look like they have any way to vent pressure) I can't imagine they would sell this product and it not work. The seals seemed to in ok.
If anybody has an idea about the oil lube hubs let me know.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: First Starcraft Outing of the Year and the Results are

This merely confirms what we all already know: trailers are the devil.

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer
Re: First Starcraft Outing of the Year and the Results are

Wanna hear my tale of trailer woes?

I bought my boat 3 hours away - I asked the PO if the bearing were good and he said yes (along with the motor, outdrive....) half an hour home the left wheel almost fell off :eek:- so I am 2.5 hours from home - pulled off to a reststop - and drove home. It took me 2 trips out to fix it - had to bring a portable generator etc. Redid the both sides and went last season and till two weeks ago going fine.

Then on way to a day trip - the same wheel - again very luck not to have the wheel come off at 65 mph. $250 later the flatbed dropped the boat in the driveway. :confused:

So I took a hard look - the PO had hit the axle and put a small bend in it - this made the left wheel out of aim - so it was just a time bomb. I went to a local trailer parts guy and bought a 3500 lb axle with news hubs bearing etc - replaced the axle and the one rim.

Went out on a 15 minute round trip and got home and the same freaking wheel was shot - I forgot to tighten the lugs. Replaced the other rim - so now I have new axles, hubs, bearings, rims....I just did a 2 hour round tripper on the highway this past weekend and no problems - I check them at every stop.;)

BTW - the axle/trailer expert I talked to said bearing buddies/oil bath....other gizmos don't really do anything. He said just check them frequently.