Incredible Flying Machine....

pjc

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Incredible Flying Machine....

I heard that the B-52 in snappers link recently was piled up. That model had $40K in engines alone.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

found a link to photos of that B52 model crash<br /><br /> web page

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer

tcube, you are probably correct. Those guys make a point of realism and accuracy. <br /><br />pjc.... dang boy! :eek: I wasn't there for photos of the final flight.... I bet there were grown men crying that day. $40K in engines alone. Go figure.

D

DJ

That video of the crash was heartbreaking.<br /><br />When she heeled over and stalled, you could see the end was near.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I'll lay odds it was RFI that brought it down. It was definately not out of it's control range, and there was nothing elaborate about the controler that would limit the risks from RFI. It was just a standard (tho high-dollar) control transmitter. Another one on the same frequency, or even just a carrier on the same freq with a higher wattage output could do just what was captured on video.<br />There is that rare, sick element of society that would think just such an act was funny.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

Dunno......me thinks it was a Rooski Mig nearby. <br /><br />Sorry to make lite of the crash. Some time ago I saw many construction photos of the B52 bird. That project was an absolute beauty. No real unusual building techniques. Just very thorough execution and attention to detail.

Twidget

Commander

In the late '70s I saw a large B17 model at an air show at Travis AFB. The owner was flying it and something happened, it hit the tarmac and disentegrated. That was a really sad thing to see, beautiful reproduction...