In gear when started

blackjet

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 24, 2006
Messages
8
For some reason when i started my motor i noticed that the prop was spinning, it's in gear for some reason when it's actually in neutral. I checked the linkage and it seems to be working. I cannot spin the prop with my hand without turning the motor over. Any suggestions on what could be wrong???
 

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Dec 29, 2003
Messages
8,200
Re: In gear when started

It's not unusual. It's probably not mechanically engaged, just spinning due to thick gearlube and motion. I see it on about 1/4 of all the boats I work on.
 

blackjet

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 24, 2006
Messages
8
Re: In gear when started

I know what you are talking about, but it's spinning with force, i can't keep water in the bucket do to it spinning with force. Also, i can't spin the prop with my hand like i use to be able to, the motor turns over whin i spin the prop.
 

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Jan 19, 2007
Messages
12,004
Re: In gear when started

Sometimes when the engine is tilted, it flexes the cables and the engine will go into gear.
However, you did not say what engine you have--it makes a difference in how to adjust the linkage. There are other concernsthough.
For example, when the linkage is adjusted with a bias toward forward, it will go into forward gear while the handle is in neutral. Also, as the system gets old some slop is induced. So if you pull the handle from forward to neutral, it will stay engaged in forward while the handle is straight up in neutral position. Try moving the handle from forward to reverse and then into neutral. Sometimes it may take once or twice to do it and you need to get the feel of it.
 

blackjet

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 24, 2006
Messages
8
Re: In gear when started

Thanks, I've tried moving it forward and reverse, i'm taking it out tomorrow to try and figure it out. Maybe when the engine is running i can put it in reverse and it might un-do inself, i just hope noting breaks in the process, its a 125 force, 89 model, it did fine last year.
 
Top