I'm sick of propaganda

oddjob

Commander
Re: I'm sick of propaganda

CJY...he,he...I dont get defensive with wacko bullys....If I have the time and the means....I get offensive with them. Its good entertainment. Besides, its a waste of time to reason with them. <br /><br />I was recently in the airport at San Juan PR. A co-worker of mine was commenting that the Avis bus had not stopped at American Airlines but at Continental. He said he could tell because there were no tourists populating ticket terminal. A really hip liberal woman on the bus with her 12 year old son told my friend he should be ashamed of himself labeling those poor human beings as tourists. Unfortunately there was not enough time to address her as we were in a hurry, but we all did get a good laugh getting off the bus.<br /><br />So many wacos...so little time......

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

oddjob <br /><br /> awhhh.....thats sweet.....<br /><br />Smoking in this country has been going on long before the white man ever set foot here. Its here to stay as long as I live. <br /><br />Normally I'm very considerate of others when it comes to smoking or manners in general. I would love to violate the air you breath, just for the hell of it. <br />
ditto too the manners.........however making an occasional fart (second hand fart gas?) is also an enjoyable violation of public air. :D

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mexico City, a third world country. They are not even a country. <br /><br />OJ, How are you being bullied. I made no threats, I only stated my opinion. You are the one stating you would like to violate my personal air space. I have shown zero aggression toward you. Its funny, in most cases, what a person blames another of doing is what they themselves are doing. Reread the posts, how have I shown any aggression? <br /><br />I also agree OJ, smoking has been going on in this country much longer than we have been here. The difference being that back before our time, Native Americans did not put in these things:<br /><br />Nicotine - sold as a pesticide<br />Acetone - used as a solvent<br />Benzene - Industrial solvent in fuels, dyes<br />Cadmium - poisonous, used in batteries<br />Formaldehyde - used to preserve dead bodies<br />Hydrogen cyanide - one of the most toxic chemicals in cigarettes<br />Lead - a highly toxic metal, capable of causing serious damage to the brain, kidneys, nervous system and red blood cells<br /><br />The list goes on to include 4000 chemicals including 43 known carcinogens and 400 other known toxins.<br /><br />You want to injest them, I have no problem with that. It is your body. I draw the line when a person smoking causes me to injest them. Really, the only argument here is where you smoke. You want to smoke in your car, your house, on a walk, again, go ahead. Why though a restaraunt, or any other publicly used facility. Its your insistence to smoke in these places that get non-smokers involved. Thus, changes are being made by our legislators.<br /><br />You are bringing on the problems you encounter, not myself or any other non-smoker. We only react to the situations we are subjected to.

bubbakat

Captain

I smoke and don't care who knows it. If you don't like my smoke then get the heck away from me. I am not going to be told what I can di when I want to do it.<br /> As for manners , heck I am old enough that I have earned the right not to have any.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

First of all anybody who doesnt believe smoking is bad for your heath is flippin cracked..........Come on yo have got to be kidding me. And for those who have an issue with people who dont smoke not wanting to be around it......who do you think you are? Why should I have to deal with your nasty smelling disgusting habits.......I mean Im sure every body here would have issues with someone who has a strong smelly body oder forcing you to smell there stench so why do you think people are rude saying that when they are out and about and you insist on doing something that is very....and I mean very stinky and also proven to be bad for their health to have to put up with it is just plain silly......Now dont get me wrong smoke away people just not near me or my kids or for that matter near any kids.......If there were more people that were considerate of others this would even be an issue, and I cant believe some of the people on here who I have had very high opinons of could even say some of the things you have. Now those of you who are smokers, tell me.... can even one of you say your not addicted? My guess is no.... so because your addicted to a drug you feel its your right to expose me to it......oh by the way I kicked the habit 7 yrs ago but you know what every once and awhile I get a urge to smoke and well Its almost assured somebody will lite up right in front me and make it harder.... :) .....funny how that happens. By the way here is one more study below for you I found today with out even looking for one. Im all for people being free to do as they please but you know what I find funny is some of you guys who feel like your rights are being attacked because of this are anti drug.....all drugs.......whats wrong with pot if you can do your drug why cant pot heads????? you know if I lit up a smoke right now id be pretty high so you cant say cigs dont effect peole like other drugs.......I have been clean and sober for 5+ yrs but 6 yrs ago I smoked so much pot it didnt change my ability to function any more than smokes do to you guys......Either one would get me high now......I have a addoptrd daughter who just recently( within the last 5 months) quit drugs(some hard) and drinking and smoking when she came to live with us......guess what was the hardest to kick????? Cigaretts.....and worst of all anybody who smokes feel like its there right to smoke around her and in fact I swear people do it on purpose.....hmmmmm sounds like some people on here would do the same. :( <br /><br /><br />DALLAS - Exposure to cigarette smoke raises the risk among teens of metabolic syndrome, a disorder associated with excess belly fat that increases the chances of heart disease, stroke and diabetes, according to a study. <br /><br /><br /> <br />Researchers said it is the first study to establish such a link in teenagers.<br /><br />"The bottom line to me is: As we gear up to take on this epidemic of obesity, we cannot abandon protecting our children from secondhand smoke and smoking," said lead author Dr. Michael Weitzman, executive director of the American Academy of Pediatrics Center for Child Health Research in Rochester, N.Y.<br /><br />For the study, metabolic syndrome was defined as having at least three of five characteristics: a big waist, high blood pressure, high levels of blood fats called triglycerides, low levels of good cholesterol, and evidence of insulin resistance, in which the body cannot efficiently use insulin.<br /><br />In the study, published Monday in the American Heart Association online journal Circulation, researchers found that 6 percent of 12- to 19-year-olds had metabolic syndrome and that the prevalence increased with exposure to tobacco smoke.<br /><br />The study found that 1 percent of those unexposed to smoke developed the syndrome, 5 percent of those exposed to secondhand smoke had the disorder and 9 percent of active smokers had it.<br /><br />Looking at teens who were overweight or at risk for being overweight, the effect of smoke was even more marked, with 6 percent of those not exposed to smoke developing syndrome, 20 percent of those exposed to secondhand smoke getting it and 24 percent of smokers suffering from the disorder.<br /><br />"What this shows is that the percentages of kids who are at risk is vastly higher if they're overweight and they're exposed to secondhand smoke, down to very low levels," Weitzman said.<br /><br />Weitzman said it is not clear what it is about smoking that appears to make teenagers more susceptible to metabolic syndrome.<br /><br />However, in adults smoking has been linked to insulin resistance, a risk factor for metabolic syndrome. Doctors also point out that smoking can lower levels of good cholesterol and raise blood pressure, two more markers for the disorder.<br /><br />The researchers looked at 2,273 adolescents, using information from a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention survey. The youngsters reported their own use of tobacco. Also, the study looked at measurements of cotinine, a product of nicotine after it enters the body. Two-thirds of teens who did not smoke had cotinine levels that indicated secondhand smoke exposure.<br /><br />"It's sobering," said Dr. Michael Lim, assistant professor of internal medicine in the division of cardiology at Saint Louis University School of Medicine. "What it points out is a very high-risk group of people — young adults 12 to 19 — who are exposed to tobacco products and sedentary."<br /><br />The number of overweight teens in the United States has tripled in the past two decades.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Oh and for those of you who think it was rude for a child to tell their grandparent or parents that smoking is bad........My kids have been taught since early on that smoking is bad for you so when Grandpa smokes in fromt of my youngest tells grampa its bad......NOT BECUASE HES A RUDE CHILD but because he loves his grandpa to pieces.........

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mike,<br /><br />Happy to hear you have turned things around for yourself. Children do amazing things to most of us. <br /><br />You are correct, nicotine is the drug in a cig that gives the person the quick high. I think people believe that since they are legal, there are no drugs involved. As you said, no diff than pot, except pot is not legal. I wonder how many smokers would have a problem sitting down in a resaraunt with their children next to people smoking a joint? Probably more than are willing to admit it.

oddjob

Commander

Ok I re-read your posts John:<br /><br />
Fortunately, little by little, cigarettes are being legislated against here in the US. Soon, you will all be on the outside looking into a smoke free restaraunt, a hotel, or any other publicly used facility. <br /><br />Suck em down quick boys, time is running out,<br /><br />John
Warning....threat....and your arrogantly in favor of it. I really dont find it neccessary to smoke in those places. I do smoke in my car, but not with guests or my children. I've smoked off on on since I was 15. I smoke for 2-4 years and then quit for the same time length. In either case I dont like the the smoke from the end of a cig. It burns my eyes. Its the " Dont smoke outdoors" crowd and its supporters that amuse me. Get a life and let me live mine or suffer my entertainment. ;) <br /><br /><br />Mikeandronda, why are all these pot heads wasting all that money on weed when they can get the same high with cigs for way less?.....why did you do both? Can you elaborate? :cool:

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

OK Oddjob I know its a threat to some peoples freedom but its like its not hard to keep it too yourself And I really have no problem with you smoking.....cuz I dont know you personaly....if I did I would have a problem with my friend smoking and might even raz you some.But im not a smoke nazi, unless its my kids And When I mean my kids over the last 3-4 yrs I have had 20 or 30 kids......you see I was a youth leader for messed up innercity youth at my church and everyone of them tried drugs and smoked.....but you know what the first one they did was cigarets.......It does not mean everybody who smokes will do drugs......but I am sure that everybody who does drugs smoked cigs at one point.......just a thought........I started smokeing cigs first and a yr later tried pot..... 5 yrs later I was doing every drug that came my way.......after 16 yrs I was a complete idiot like the people that many others on here talk about.......I know what its like to be a drug addicted alcholic loser.......I also know what it takes to become a quality citizen of America......Addiction sucks but its beatable :) I believe we all should be 100% free to do what we want as long as it doesnt hurt others but if people cant control their habits and it effects others they are srewing it up for them selves..........Im against all drugs....but Im not gonna go to your house to bother you unless my kids(sons and Daughter) are over there

Cranky18

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am suprised that no one has brought up the costs of smoking. One reason your insurance and health care costs are astronomical right now is tobacco. The truth is, smoking costs billions of dollars a year that gets passed on to every one of us that pays for insurance and health care. Now, I am not naive enough to think cigarettes will ever be illegal, (it's too big a business) but I do think non-smokers (the majority of the population) should have a say in whether smoking should be allowed in public places.

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OJ, that was not a threat by me toward you or anybody else on this forum. I simply stated that your habit is being legislated against. I guess you could call it a warning though. Arrogant, I did not think so when I wrote it. I'm just happy that politicians are legislating against something that when done in a public facility is a harm to us all. We each have are own beliefs, even if one is believed to be propaganda by the other. Legislators, at the current time are believing the studies that show the many health risks involved and are listening to the many people that have been put in the middle by those that choose to jeopardize all by smoking in public facilities. <br /><br />Smoke if you choose to, they are your lungs and heart, leave me and my family out of it.

what66

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well Let me say I don't like smoking and I will never smoke :cool: <br />Now I do have freinds that smoke and they are good people I know alot of smokers at work.<br />But most have the curtise to not smoke around me when were doing something.<br />Now I'm not going to say if secondhand smoke is bad or not all I'm saying Is plaes don't smoke around me <br />and as for the people that said
When god calls for you to go, your gone.
That is such an easy way out of the question.<br />so why not take a .45 and shoot yourself hay when god calls you dead any way right? :confused: <br />all I'm saying is you can't just blame the smoking deaths on it was your time you would have died anyway.

D

DJ

Mexico City was offered as an exmaple. And, last time I checked, Mexico City is in Mexico. Still, a third world City and Country. :rolleyes: <br /><br />Yep, we've collectively determined that smoking is bad. This whole subject is bigger than that.<br /><br />Rude smokers are just that-rude. So are rude:<br /><br />1. Boaters.<br /><br />2. Drivers.<br /><br />3. Fellow employees.<br /><br />Get over it, I will not let you mandate my lifestyle. If I'm not breaking the law, which I don't, it's none of yours or the governments business what I do.<br /><br />Get it?<br /><br />I find those of the "liberal" persuasion to be the most controlling.<br /><br />It's "their way, or the highway" mentality to be prevelant.<br /><br />The liberal handbook seems to say to blame the your opponent with excatly what you're doing. It's worked for thousands of years. <br /><br />I see no changes.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

actully DJ if you or someone else is harming me or my kids or for that matter anybody elses kids it is my business....so you get over it,,,,and it people with that aditude that is going to someday make smokes illegal everywere except privte property so go ahead spout off about how you will do whatever you want to do. Its that very additude that the Gov. will get involved someday. And you and I know right or wrong theres nothing anybody can do about it if they decide to go after the smokers...... Your right there are rude people everywere but at least in this point you seem to be one of the rude smokers.....dude mellow out and deal with the fact many other people dont want to breathe your pollution.....but hey Im just saying I would have alot more sympathy for all the addicts out there if they didnt act like they were something special so the rest of us should cater to them.....hmmmmmm Im pretty sure I have seen posts by people not wanting to cater to those who may be different.........havent you DJ....what makes smokers so special that there right to smoke is more importiant then mine not to breathe their foul smelling cancer causeing vomitous bad air??????????

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Another thing to look at if tobacco is prohibited.<br />Billions of tax dollars are generated by the smokers. Once it is made illegal, where is the lost revenue going to come from? Then there is going to be the cost for the judicial system to handle the smokers. Then the illegal tobacco that is sold will be making money for crooks that are not politicians. <br /><br />Between my wife and I we spend a tad over $1000 a year just in cigarette tax. And it keeps going up. Now if every smoking family pays what we pay, that is a lot of cash. <br /><br />Is the non-smoking community ready to increase their taxes by an extra thousand a year to make up for the loss of revenue from tobacco. Legislate laws against tobacco and higher taxes will be on the way to non-smoking communities.<br /><br />So which is it. Tolerate a bit of second hand smoke or pay more each year to make up the lost revenue from tobacco?

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Dude I would pay more money to get that crap away from people........I know eveybody doent feel the same but I would pay money to keep what ever is harmful away from my kids.....and what about insurance we all allready pay way to much cuz of smokers.......it would be better if it were illegal......

D

DJ

mikeandronda.<br /><br />I DON'T SMOKE cigarettes!!! Cigars, on occasion.<br /><br />My "attitude" is that I'm tired of everyone telling me what I can't do.<br /><br />If I want to kill a baby-abortion-that's OK, but if I want to enjoy a cigar, in the open air, it's not???<br /><br />What are you going to do if I think that you, personally, smell bad??<br /><br />This whole thing is ridiculous. Gee whiz, people sure are sensative about their pet peeves.<br /><br />I think the internet and electronic devices have a whole lot to do with this. We're all holed up in our respective environments. Anything other that that is-OH MY GOD!!!! We should be, talking to our neighbors. You know, those people in the house next to ours.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Hey DJ its all cool, like I said Im cool if you smoke just not by me.Well in truth I like the smell of a good cigar :) ....oh and by the way smelly people suck :) kidding but that is something some people cant help.....and if they can there are plenty of people who will let them know. Im not sure what you mean about killing baby (abortion) is ok cuz I dont believe that either........Im very conservitive and oppose abortion.....and any other thing that people use to hurt inocents.....The smoking issues seems to be that both side feel that there rights are being stomped on....there got to be a middle ground.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Mike, there is a middle. Its called choices. As long as people have a choice in what they want, it is the middle. People just need to ease up on what they think how others should live their lives. Anyone will get defensive on something that they truely believe in when it is threatened to be taken away.

D

DJ

mikeandronda,<br /><br />I threw the abortion bit in there because I knew it would hit home.<br /><br />My whole point is NOT about smoking, as you so wisely concluded.<br /><br />It's about rights/priveleges, as Americans.<br /><br />I do not stoop to the "thoughts of the day". I am a history buff, and I can tell you that the repetition of societies beliefs, throughout the ages, is FRIGHTENING.<br /><br />I do, however, disagree with you on "smelly" people. There is a cure, it's called a shower. There are plenty of them available-free, throughout the US. If one decides not to partake, I CAN criticize. ;)