I'm sick of propaganda

fireman57

Captain
Re: I'm sick of propaganda

achris, I smoke and I also believe that I should have the privilege of breathing fresh air. The problem with this argument is that they do air quality tests here and invariably the air within 2 miles of the freeway tests worse, by pollution standards of hazardous chemicals, than the air in a bar or restaurant with a decent air system. I hate to hear that this lady is dying of cancer and that she successfully sued her employer. She was not forced to work there. People make choices all the time. What I hate to see is when something happens to them then it is not their fault and they have to get a lawyer and sue. The white lies website is almost pure propaganda and nothing is cited very well. Keep saying it long enough and people will believe it. Anything in moderation will not harm you, it is the abuse that does you in. Your body will handle 8 ro 10 smokes a day but when you get to the two and three packs a day it can't keep up. Same as a few beers a day or a couple of double cheeseburgers. If someone nicely asks me to not smoke aroung them then I am more than happy to accomodate them. It's the jerks that make big fanning motions or fake coughs that tick me off. All they have to do is ask nicely.

olbuddyjack

Petty Officer 1st Class

They shouldn't have to ask at all. Courtesy should be the standard.

txswinner

Banned

Wasn't it ole Ben Franklin that said "Those willing to give up freedom for safety are not entitled to either. Courtesy yes, more laws no, and by the way I would legalize marijuana also. Especially for medical purposes!!

txswinner

Banned

Fireman hits it on the nose, of course air pollution by chem plants and refineries provide jobs, and if you grip they simply move to another country where pollution is legal.

iboater

Seaman Apprentice

Why is it that a very large majority of smokers have tried or want to quit. It is because they know that it isn't healthy. I wish there was a viable way to ban it because it definately needs to be done away with.<br />I have lived in Utah (very low smoking population) and I have lived in Japan (very high smoking population) Utah is much much better. (in that regard :) :) ;) ;) :p :p )

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by achris:<br />
Originally posted by JB:<br /> It has become politically correct to rant and exaggerate the hazards of tobacco. . . first hand and second hand. In a recent post in another thread a member claimed to be made nauseous if a person in the car in front of him in a gridlock lit up. :eek: <br />
JB,<br /><br />I find your comments quite distaseful and disrespectful. <br /><br />I HAVE THE RIGHT TO BREATH AIR NOT POLLUTED BY CIGARETTE SMOKE!!!<br /><br />You are a smoker and don't understand the effect of smoking on other people. <br /><br />My father died of smoking realted illness (heart disease) at 60 years old. Those evil things stole about 15+ years of his life from him, my mother, my brother, his grandkids and myself. <br /><br />I agree with others here that alcohol also causes health and other problems, but I think the main issue, for me, <br />is that I can stand next to a person drinking, and I don't get drunk. If I am forced to be in the same room as a smoker I HAVE NO CHOICE, I am smoking, regardless of what you or anybody else says!
Well we are going to disagree about this and I always dont agree with JB but I think he nailed it on this post.<br /><br />You sound like (in this post) a goody two shoes Whiner! But its OK to sit around a camp fire! Or to BBQ with Charcoal! Oh wait.. you use propane.. do you really want to go there? <br /><br />Hug a tree and all your troubles will be over..<br />Chris I enjoy your posts (and company) if you will..but I think your a little over the top on this thread.<br /><br />Sorry to hear about your father.. I lost my mother and her sister in the same week.. one drank and smoked .. the other didnt do either but both died of cancer..when it is check out time and your ticket is up.. its over.. <br /><br />Now (Maybe Im being the tree hugger Chris) I think that when you have served your purpose here on earth you leave.<br /><br />Plane crash/boat crash / cancer etc...<br /><br />But dont blame it on someone or something.. <br /><br />My 00.02 <br />73 (Best Regaurds) <br />Link

tommays

Admiral

well i dont like breathing other folks smoke BUT sitting in the non-smokeing section at a place was allways good enough for me<br /><br /><br />now as far as causeing dammage you got to be kidding me ;) <br /><br />my older brother is mentaly ill but ok enough to live in a singel apartment with a case worker checking in<br /><br />he smokes about two packs a day and has pretty much destroyed about 3 places at this point from what smokeing leaves on the walls and floor<br /><br />the rugs have to be removed :eek: .<br /><br />it takes a special crew to strip and clean them to the point were anybody would even think about liveing there again :eek: <br /><br /><br />tommays

eeboater

Commander

While I'll never start smoking, I find this fact the most interesting.<br /><br />What other industry in the United States has to actively advertise against itself? The tobacco industry has to do that every day.<br /><br />I find that amazing.<br /><br />Sean

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Hi Double E, Anyone with an addiction only needs a trigger to light one up. Any ad on TV good or bad is a trigger. So if the tobacco companies run and ad and 1 million smokers see that ad, then there is likely 1 million cigaretts have been lit. Even bill boards, pamplets, etc, is able to sell cigaretts.<br /><br />So the more the anti's push, the more people is going to smoke. People don't like being told what they can and can't do. I feel the outta sight outta mind thing would have more power over the fight against tobacco.<br /><br />Besides our insurance companies have more power of limiting or stopping things that the legal system can't.<br /><br />My mom died of lung cancer, my dad smoked but he died of breathing toxic paint fumes. If second hand smoke kills, then I should have been dead by the age of 22. Parents smoked with us kids in the car and at home. Then when I joined the Navy and worked in an office everyone smoked. There is where I started getting headaches and nausea. Doc told me if I smoked a cigarette first thing in the office, I would be okay. He was right. It took care of my headaches completely. Now I still fighting to limit my self to half a pack a day. Better than 2 or 3 packs.<br /><br />Freedom is the ability to have choices on how I live. Take away those choices, and you taken away my freedom and my right to live my life.

tommays

Admiral

not to mention paying tabacco farmers ;) <br /><br />now my long dead proud MARINE FIL was a life time smoker and a pretty rough guy all around<br /><br /> who did not die from smokeing BUT he would never smoke inside at home or anywere but a gin mill because he thought it was rude to do so <br /><br /><br />tommays

txswinner

Banned

Exxon has bigger lobby than cigarettes. If you do not agree go to downtown Houston on a hot still after noon. That ain't cigarette smoke folks.

D

DJ

I would like to see the "killing zone" comparison between second hand smoke and, say, a .45 ACP.<br /><br />To achris.<br /><br />Air is NOT a right. If you want CLEAN air come here, to the US. You aren't going to find it in those third world countries that you travel. Besides, I'll bet the ratio to smokers there, as opposed to here is pretty high.<br /><br />Besides, I might have some little quirk that has told me that I don't like the way you smell. I want you LEGISLATED off the planet.<br /><br />A VERY slippery slope.<br /><br />Welcome to the CLEAN US.

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Chris, I am with you all the way and you are by no means "over the top on this one." <br /><br />DJ, inhaling cigarette smoke is not "some little quirk." Every time you don't like anothers opinion, you get personal, Grow up already. Chris, myself and any other person that believes 2nd hand smoke is dangerous has every right to voice their opinion and be heard, even if it is to your dislike. By the way, we do not remove people from here in the US, that only happens in those little 3rd world countries you have referred to. Perhaps you should take it upon yourself to go and dictate there, because it will never work here. <br /><br />Fortunately, little by little, cigarettes are being legislated against here in the US. Soon, you will all be on the outside looking into a smoke free restaraunt, a hotel, or any other publicly used facility. <br /><br />Suck em down quick boys, time is running out,<br /><br />John

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Originally posted by yingling-j:<br /> Chris, myself and any other person that believes 2nd hand smoke is dangerous <br /><br />Again propaganda on how dangerous it is. You believe it is dangerous because it has been published, put on the networks, and aired on the radio. Again, millions of us that our parents smoked around should be dead according to your beliefs!<br /><br />Oh car exhaust isn't bad, lock yourself in a garage with a smoker, and then lock yourself in a garage with a car running. Now see which one is dangerous.<br /><br />The same propaganda also goes for asbestos, mercury, lead, and many other things that should have killed many of us according to what our media says. <br /><br />Seeing little kids pinching their noses, complaining about grandma and grandpa's smoke, and the rudeness of them tells me what kind of parents they have. Forget the love of the family, your clean air is more important. When god calls for you to go, your gone.

oddjob

Commander

awhhh.....thats sweet.....<br /><br />Smoking in this country has been going on long before the white man ever set foot here. Its here to stay as long as I live. <br /><br />Normally I'm very considerate of others when it comes to smoking or manners in general. I would love to violate the air you breath, just for the hell of it.

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

SS, no propaganda, Philip Morris admits to the hazards of smoking and second hand smoke. They put it in writing back in the 60's not thinking the public would ever see it.<br /><br />
The same propaganda also goes for asbestos, mercury, lead, and many other things that should have killed many of us according to what our media says
Have you ingested or sucked any of these things into your body lately? What it all comes down to is the amount of the substance that is injested. Until someone can accurately put anumber on it, I want none. <br /><br />
Normally I'm very considerate of others when it comes to smoking or manners in general. I would love to violate the air you breath, just for the hell of it.
Right, and what changed you is the fact that I have reacted to a person being belittled for their thoughts / opinions? Your attitude is precisely the reason I have mine. <br /><br />
I would love to violate the air you breath
It is interesting though that you also feel it is a violation of another's rights to smoke in their air space. Sheds a bit of light on the reason you are very defensive.

D

DJ

CJY wrote:<br /><br />
DJ, inhaling cigarette smoke is not "some little quirk." Every time you don't like anothers opinion, you get personal, Grow up already. Chris, myself and any other person that believes 2nd hand smoke is dangerous has every right to voice their opinion and be heard, even if it is to your dislike. By the way, we do not remove people from here in the US, that only happens in those little 3rd world countries you have referred to. Perhaps you should take it upon yourself to go and dictate there, because it will never work here. <br />
Anti smoking zealots have reached fever pitch, at the hand of junk science. Anything, if inhaled long enough will cause problems.<br /><br />By the way, I DO NOT SMOKE CIGARETTES and I am a grown up.<br />Before you accuse, get your facts straight.<br /><br />achris didn't seem to have a response to my idea about having to sit behind a diesel powered automobile, in traffic. Politics and science do not mix.<br /><br />As far as third world countries go, they have NO environmental controls. We do.

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Who accused you of being a smoker?<br /><br />I accused you of acting childish when you do not like another's opinion.<br /><br />What is it by the way, that 3rd world countries do to their air? No factories, no cars, no cigs - can't afford them, probably have never seen one. They farm with cattle, fertilize with manure, live off the land, make their own clothing.<br /><br />It is the developed countries that are polluting the air. Why do you think we have controls?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Originally posted by CJY:<br />__________________________________________________<br />What is it by the way, that 3rd world countries do to their air? No factories, no cars, no cigs - can't afford them, probably have never seen one. They farm with cattle, fertilize with manure, live off the land, make their own clothing.<br /><br />______________________________________________<br /><br />And what is their life span?

D

DJ

can't afford them, probably have never seen one. They farm with cattle, fertilize with manure, live off the land, make their own clothing.<br /><br />
A dream world. Why is it I see Raiders T-Shirts on kids from Zimbabwe? And, not to mention blue jeans.<br /><br />No cars? Come on. Look at Mexico. Mexico City is the dirtiest city on the planet. And, yes, they ARE a third world country.<br /><br />In others, like Mexico, the automobiles have NO emission controls. Older vehicles are the norm. Besides that, they use coal (no scrubbers), burn wood and slash and burn the environment. The rainforests are being depleted by the people that live near them, not the US.<br /><br />This country (US)has more trees today than it had in 1890.